DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters)

DTM 2013 teams and drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Williams
    Participant

Thought I’d kick off this topic with the news that Jamie Green has joined Audi for the 2013 season http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8459

There could be plenty of new faces on the grid next year, what with BMW opting to run extra cars next year, and with all the marques testing numerous drivers recently

Press release:

In Formula 3, he defeated Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg. He is acclaimed as “King of the Norisring.” And in the future he will be driving for Audi: The Briton Jamie Green (30), who lives in Monaco, is strengthening Audi’s DTM driver line-up for the 2013 season.

A spectacular transfer in the most popular international touring car racing series: After eight years with Mercedes-Benz, one of the most experienced and successful present-day DTM drivers is switching to Audi. Jamie Green has contested 83 DTM races to date, having won eight of them and clinching the top spot on the grid on six occasions. He finished the 2012 season in third place of the championship. In doing so, the Briton was the only driver to have scored points in all ten races while retaining his chances of winning the title all the way to the end.

“There’s no doubt about Jamie Green being one of the best DTM racers currently in the field,” says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. “He proved this in 2012 and was more or less able to choose the manufacturer he wanted to compete for in the DTM – we’re delighted that he has opted for Audi and convinced that with his experience and speed, he’ll truly be strengthening our DTM squad.”

“Audi is a fascinating brand with fantastic products,” says Jamie Green. “And I’m convinced that with Audi, I’ll be able to achieve what I’ve been deprived of so far: to win the DTM title. I really owe my previous employer a lot and making the change after so many joint years has certainly not been easy for me. But I carefully considered this step and look forward to a new challenge – I can’t wait to sit in the Audi A5 for the first time.”

Jamie Green celebrated his biggest success in his career to date in 2004 when he won the Formula 3 Euro Series. At that time, he defeated today’s Formula 1 stars Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, among others. In his first DTM year, in 2005, he immediately took two pole positions. His team-mate back then: the current DTM Champion Bruno Spengler. In terms of points, the new Audi factory driver clearly won the duel against the Canadian with a score of 29-5.

In 2008, 2009 and 2010, Jamie Green managed the feat of winning the Norisring race three consecutive times in the same vehicle. In 2012, he triumphed at the DTM season’s pinnacle event and Audi’s “home round” for an amazing fourth time.

Gabriel Fernando
    Participant

According to the brazilian press, what Van Der Garde said on the twitter: “@GvanderGarde Good news soon guys!! So keep on following close… 👍” is probably something to do with caterham, so, Senna would be without a seat and….

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Giedo van der Garde has been known to Twitter very excitedly about the prospect of joining a Formula 1 team in the past. So far, he’s never made the transition.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Audi has revealed 7 of their 8 drivers for next year:
    Mattias Ekström
    Timo Scheider
    Filipe Albuquerque
    Edorado Mortara
    Mike Rockenfeller
    Adrien Tambay
    Jamie Green

@ryanwilliams Keeping Mortara is a no-brainer – I wonder if he could ‘do a Di Resta’ and make the leap to F1?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@keithcollantine – Didn’t he test for Lotus at the Young Driver Tests this year? I seem to recall him doing quite well for himself.

That said, it could be tricky for him to make the jump. Paul di Resta made the move because he was driving for Mercedes in DTM, and got himself placed at a Mercedes-backed Formula 1 team. Mortara, on the other hand, is driving an Audi, so he’s not going to get much in the way of manufacturer support.

The only way I could see it working – for now – is if Force India took Jules Bianchi in 2013. I’ve heard talk that they’re eyeing off a switch to Ferrari engines in 2014, and in taking Bianchi they could get the same benefit from Ferrari as they did from Mercedes in taking di Resta; namely, an engine subsidy. Ferrari have been decrying the lack of Italian drivers in Formula 1 since Jarno Trulli and Tonio Liuzzi lost their seats this year (as if Formula 1 owes Italy something), but they’ve been unwilling to take a chance on Italian drivers. If Force India became a customer team, then Ferrari could put their money where their mouth is and place Mortara in the team from 2014.

But I think that outcome is highly unlikely.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Audi has announced that Miguel Molina will continue with the team into 2013, and thus fills the remaining Audi seat

The grid so far:

Audi:
    Mattias Ekström
    Timo Scheider
    Filipe Albuquerque
    Edorado Mortara
    Mike Rockenfeller
    Adrien Tambay
    Jamie Green
    Miguel Molina

BMW
    Augusto Farfus
    Timo Glock
    Joey Hand
    Andy Priaulx
    Bruno Spengler
    Martin Tomczyk
    Dirk Werner
    Marco Wittmann

Mercedes-Benz
    Roberto Merhi
    Gary Paffett
    Robert Wickens

sam3110
    Participant

Will Ralf Schumacher be retained this season? Coulthard and Wolff have both retired

Ryan Williams
    Participant

BMW have announced the driver pairings for this season

BMW Team MTEK
    Timo Glock
    Marco Wittmann

BMW Team RBM
    Augusto Farfus
    Joey Hand

BMW Team RMG
    Andy Priaulx
    Martin Tomczyk

BMW Team Schnitzer
    Bruno Spengler
    Dirk Werner

The only change is that Andy Priaulx moves from RBM to RMG, doing a direct swap with Joey Hand

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Mercedes has revealed the their line-up:

Gary Paffett
    Ralf Schumacher
    Roberto Merhi
    Christian Vietoris
    Robert Wickens
    Daniel Juncadella

wsrgo
    Participant

Ralf Schumacher has announced a sudden retirement from motorsport, despite having previously been confirmed to drive for Mercedes in 2013. Rumours are that 18-yer-old German Pascal Wehrlein will replace him. Wehrlein was the 2011 ADAC Formel Masters champion and last year finished 2nd overall in the Formula Three Euroseries, also becoming the series’ Rookie Cup champion in the process. Previously, Wehrlein had been confirmed to drive in the FIA European Formula 3(which has absorbed Euroseries) for Mucke Motorsport. However it will be impossible for him to do both DTM as well as European F3 for 2013, as most of the races clash due to the latter category being a support series for DTM. So if the rumours are true, it opens up a Euro F3 seat just a week before the start of the new season.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I honestly had no idea Schumacher was still racing …

wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Ha!! Me too.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

The livery for Robert Wickens’ Mercedes has been unveiled

EDITED: Thanks for pointing that out @robk23!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.