DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters)

New Format for 2015

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

In the 2015 season, DTM will provide the spectators a new race format with two races of equal value per weekend, thus becoming even more attractive for both the crowds on site and the TV audience. All the race meetings will feature a championship round on Saturday and a second on Sunday, with full championship points being awarded for both races. On both days, the drivers will have to contest a 20-minute qualifying session that will be crucial for the grid positions for the following race.

Nonetheless, there are differences between the Saturday and the Sunday races: the duration and the number of pit stops. On Saturday, the race will be over after 40 minutes plus a full lap, with tyre changes not being obligatory. This means that a driver may cover the full race distance on one set of tyres – but doing so will represent a special challenge. Meanwhile, the race duration on Sunday amounts to 60 minutes plus a full lap and a stop for a tyre change is mandatory for every driver.

From its official website. Maybe the V8-style is back…

I think the DTM had to do something because they have exciting cars, some great drivers and yet often rather indifferent racing. I do think a bigger part of the problem is their choice of tracks, but I’m definitely in favour of freeing up the racing rules by having fewer mandatory stops.

jsw11984
    Participant

That does sound similar to what the V8 supercars do, but on Saturday there are two races of the same distance and one race on Sunday of double distance.

E.g. at the Sydney 500, the Saturday races are 125km (78miles) and the Sunday race is 250km(156miles) with Quali sessions for each race.

As I contribute this topic to the 2015 season, here is a confirmed list.
    BMW RMG : Wittmann/Martin
    ART Mercedes : Paffett/Auer (F3 graduated)
    HWA Mercedes : Di Resta/Wickens
    Audi Abt Sportsline : Ekstrom (Dual campaign with RX)/Molina
    BMW MTEK : Spengler/Glock
    HWA Mercedes : Vietoris/Wehrlein
    Audi Phoenix : Scheider/Rockenfeller
    Mucke Mercedes : Juncadella/Gotz (GT Champion)
    BMW Schnitzer : Da Costa/Tomczyk
    BMW RBM : Farfus/Blomqvist (F3 graduated)
    Audi Abt : Tambay/Mortara
    Audi Rosberg : Green/Muller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.