World Endurance Championship

2014 Daytona 24 Hours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mildertduck
    Participant

Is anyone watching the Daytona 24?

Just witnessed a horrific shut, hope everyone is ok :s

JackySteeg
    Participant

Quite a shocking accident. Looks like Memo Gidley has been extricated from his car, so I desperately hope we hear some good news soon.

Was following the race on Twitter when I heard about the crash. Obviously hoping both drivers are OK. Here’s an encouraging report from a journalist at the track:

SP
    Participant

With a crawling Ferrari on a high-speed part of the infield and the sun glare, I don’t think Gidley had the time to take evasive action.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Both drivers are awake and talking at hospital they are being further observed.

the_sigman
    Participant

Great news they are alive, I was really afraid when I saw this big shunt.

MazdaChris
    Participant

No, not God. Thank the engineers who designed and built the cars, and the excellent medical staff. Credit where it is due.

I’m not religious, but I think ‘thank God’ is just an expression in this instance.

As always, it’s very relieving to hear that the drivers are relatively OK.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Race has been really good so far. It’s been strange to see the GT cars matching and sometimes even bettering the prototypes for straight-line speed on the banking, with the prototypes having to get their overtaking done on the infield. Shame that some of the more interesting entries fell by the wayside throughout the night. The Deltawing has been in and out of the pits and seems to have dropped a long way back, Jan Magnussen’s Corvette is no longer in the race, as is one of the Mazda LMP’s.

Sounds as if the two drivers involved in the massive shunt that red flagged the race are both awake and alert. which is always good news, goes without saying.

the_sigman
    Participant

@MazdaChris @Magnificent-Geoffrey explained what I wanted to mean. Sorry, I will change it since you believe it is ”bad”

SP
    Participant

The LMPs high-downforce bodies just don’t work on the banking (despite the LMP2 horsepower increase over ACO spec). The situation will be reversed at Sebring, where cornering ability is much more important. GT tends to be more interesting anyway..

Justin
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What a terrible way to end the race.

A phantom caution for no reason other than to bunch the pack/create drama and then a terrible call for “avoidable contact” when there was no contact.

SP
    Participant

Questionable yellow considering they didn’t throw one for the Deltawing crashing in the same place. The GTD penalty will probably be appealed..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.