Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Endurance Championship

Public Group active 4 days, 19 hours ago

Groups for fans of the World Endurance Championship and other forms of endurance racing.

Kamui Kobayashi to drive AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kingshark Kingshark 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I believe it’s an Asian thing (more specifically Japanese). They tend to be humble and keep things to themselves instead of being open to others.

Or maybe Kamui is not confident about his English. xD

Even while he was in F1, his interviews were short and he did not expose much. All I know is that he dislikes carrots and has a small wardrobe.

Profile photo of jagolevert
    jagolevert
    Participant

@quantumforce42 AND that he really loves orange juice. Can’t get enough of it.

I still think we shouldn’t be too quick to judge, it was his first race in a new series, he came into it quite late, English isn’t his first language .. How many times do we see Kimi brushing off fans and say “Oh, that’s just Kimi” when actually a lot of the time he’s being downright rude? Give Kamui some time to settle in, realize WEC has much less aggressive fans than F1, then you can start to pass judgement.

Profile photo of codesurge
    codesurge
    Participant

@jagolevert @ajokay Maybe it depends on how long the F1 refugee has been away from F1. McNish is one of the friendliest and chattiest (if not THE friendliest) drivers and Heidfeld was OK when I spoke to him at Sebring. However, Lucas de Grassi put on his sunglasses and spent his time doodling on a picture of Tom Kristensen and ignored the fans who were in line – only signed stuff when explicitly asked to.

I mentioned this to a lady who oversees the SRT ALMS program and she concurred based on her experience with the drivers. Her reasoning for this is that in F1, fan interaction is treated as an annoying contractual obligation by FOM and the teams, hence the drivers in turn develop a negative attitude towards the fans. On the other hand, sportscar/endurance racing is a sport in which both the teams and the governing bodies encourage fan access/interaction, so F1 drivers who move to sportscar racing need time to adjust to the different dynamics.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey

I swear there’s something about driving for Ferrari that changes nice drivers into not-so-nice drivers.

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. We all know Ferrari is the single most honest and humble team on the grid.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.