World Endurance Championship

Martin Brundle to race in Le Mans 24 Hours with son

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Martin and Alex Brundle will race in the LMP2 category of next year’s Le Mans 24 Hours.

The elder Brundle has raced at Le Mans seven times, most recently in 2001 for Bentley:

Ex-Formula One driver, Martin Brundle, will join his son Alex at the wheel of the Nissan-powered Greaves Motorsport LMP2 prototype at next year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 16-17).

The deal sees Brundle senior reunited with Nissan, after the Englishman spearheaded its official works effort at the world’s oldest and most celebrated endurance race in 1997 with the R390 GT1.

For 2012, the father and son combination will pilot the race-winning Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN-Nissan sports prototype. Not only did the car take the LMP2 class win at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans* on its way to finishing eighth overall, but victories at Le Castellet, Imola and Silverstone also saw the Nissan-engined LMP2 car capture both the 2011 Le Mans Series drivers’ and team titles.

After enjoying a successful Formula One career that spanned 13 years (1984-96), Martin Brundle has remained in the sport as a highly-regarded and multi award-winning commentator on British television.

Joining him in the driver’s line-up for the 80th running of the race will be his 21-year old son Alex.

As the leading British driver in this year’s Formula Two Championship, he will join Greaves Motorsport in 2012 to race the Nissan-powered prototype as the team defends its Le Mans Series crown.

The Brundles will follow in the footsteps of a small number of father-son combinations to have competed at the illustrious race together, including Mario Andretti, with son Michael, and Nigel Mansell with sons Leo and Greg.

Martin Brundle, 52, said: “I’m very much looking forward to returning to the Le Mans 24 Hour race with Nissan and the Greaves Motorsport LMP2 team. This is an unexpected pleasure, heightened by the fact I will be team-mates with my son. I’m eagerly anticipating a very special feeling when handing the car over to Alex during one of the world’s greatest motor races. Class victory in front of the fanatical Le Mans spectators is the goal.”

Alex Brundle, 21, added: “I loved driving the Le Mans circuit at this year’s official test day and a chance to compete in the full Le Mans Series, as well as the Le Mans 24 Hours, along with my single-seater activities in 2012 is brilliant for my career. At Le Mans, my father has been on pole position, led many times and been part of the winning team; this can fast-track my learning process. My thanks go to Nissan and Greaves Motorsport for creating this important opportunity, which I will seize and maximise.”

Simon Sproule, Corporate Vice President, Global Marketing Communications, Nissan, said: “I’m delighted that Nissan will once again be part of one of motorsport’s most famous races, this time with a fascinating father-son pairing. We will again seek to provide a reliable and powerful engine for Martin and Alex and for Greaves Motorsport to follow up on the success we’ve enjoyed in 2011. Martin has won at every level of endurance racing, while Alex’s strong testing performances at Paul Ricard and Le Mans reflect his natural talent and the experience he already holds at 21.”

*Victory secured by Greaves Motorsport Le Mans 2011 drivers: Karim Ojjeh, Olivier Lombard and Tom Kimber-Smith

Victor_RO
    Participant

Excellent news, wishing them all the best of luck and looking forward to the first Brundle soundbite on Radio Le Mans.

George
    Participant

Well this has interesting implications for his other job. He’s either got a contract with Sky that included this exception, the BBC wont be broadcasting the Canadian GP live or it will move dates next year (which is unlikely I think). Or someone could be guest commentating I guess :).

I’m hopefully going to Le Mans next year if I can sort it all out, great news to have another well known driver on the grid.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

F1 moved its dates, so it doesn’t clash with Le Mans in 2012. Which is not only good for Martin but good for me – I won’t have to spend 41 hours awake in a row that weekend like I have for the last 2 years…

Enjoy your Le Mans trip, George!

sbl on tour
    Participant

well it looks like the sbl on tours decision to do le mans instead of a gp is proving correct

George
    Participant

@alianora-la-canta

F1 moved its dates, so it doesn’t clash with Le Mans in 2012

I probably should have checked that before I posted, thanks Alianora ;)

S.J.M
    Participant

Hope he has a better time with Alex then Nigel Mansell had when he raced with his sons there the other year.

Love Le Mans, it just has that ‘something’ that I dont think any other race, F1 included, has and to see Brundle back there will be fantastic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.