World Endurance Championship

Peugeot suspends its endurance racing program with immediate effect

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Victor_RO
    Participant
    Calum
    Participant

After seeing the Toyota LMP1 pictures earlier today I got very excited about the WEC again, now this? Gutted.

ed24f1
    Participant

Very disappointing indeed :(

damonsmedley
    Participant

Have they given any reasons? I really enjoyed the 2011 Le Mans 24 hour race, and I was hoping this year we’d have another tense battle at the front between Audi and Peugeot, with Toyota hopefully being somewhere near them as well. What a buzz-kill.

Hopefully with Toyota arriving this year and Porsche not far off they won’t be missed.

I should add, hopefully Peugeot will at least let a customer team run their cars at Le Mans. Would be a dreadful waste otherwise.

KNF
    Participant

Alex Wurz must have known something the other drivers didn’t because he’s gone off to Toyota…

Anonymous
    Inactive

What on earth is Anthony Davidson going to drive now?

Honda are also joining the WEC party with their ARX, so it’s not all bad.

@KNF Perhaps not!

Anonymous
    Inactive

But with Porsche and Toyota needing to pick up steam this will hand Le Mans over to Audi for another five years. First Barrichello not being a part of F1 anymore and now this – truly a sad week for racing, I guess.

KNF
    Participant

@Keith Well, at least Alex Wurz doesn’t have to worry about a drive, but wonder where Ant Davidson will go?

Girts
    Participant

This is a really bad surprise. However, it also reminds why F1 should focus on supporting private teams instead of trying to attract the big manufacturers at all costs. A manufacturer can decide to “concentrate resources on its sales performance” at any time.

@Girts Well said.

Also, I know this is very uncharitable, but I kind of wish PSA Peugeot Citroen had scrapped their rally programme instead. They’ve been winning that for so long no-one notices any more.

Journeyer
    Participant

@KNF To Sky? :D

@Girts The ironic thing is, the reason they usually give to go racing is to help improve sales. As the old maxim goes, “Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.”

robk23
    Participant

This is a big shock, it looks like Audi will win everything this year with their nearest rivals being the likes of Toyota and Oreca which probably won’t be as competitive. Like everyone else, I’m also wondering what will happen to Peugeot’s drivers, Lucas di Grassi was apparently in with a chance of a Peugeot drive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.