Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Endurance Championship

Public Group active 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Groups for fans of the World Endurance Championship and other forms of endurance racing.

Pictures: 2014 Audi R18 etron quattro LMP1 revealed

This topic contains 29 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GeeMac GeeMac 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Same about the name. I guess it looks so similar to an R18 that they didn’t want to change it, but apparently not even adding anything else is weird. I suppose they’ve already used ‘Plus’ for the 2012 non-etron version (I think). R18b or R19 would be my favourites.

I do prefer the original livery though. The silver made it look more fluid, but I suppose that the entire bodywork has become more complex (ignoring the fin and the aggressive front it was always an incredibly pretty car) so looking fluid might not work so well. But the other benefit to the old scheme though was that the fin was often darker, making it easy to separate from the rest of the car and appreciate its shape. Evidence to that and the general beauty of the car here: http://goo.gl/76BMaZ
    Don’t tell me that isn’t one of the most stunning shapes, particularly if you cover up the very front.

Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

Why did they go R8, R10, R15, R18? Any logic behind not going R8, R9, R10?

If the next planned name was a random jump to Audi R25 then they might have chosen not to use it because Renault F1 cars already used R23 to R30!

Profile photo of Aish Heydrich
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

I don’t know how many guys here went for Le Mans at La Sarthe, I went, and these Audis sounded like freaking aeroplanes. I could hear them coming from half a mile far and the noise it makes through air is like an advanced fighter jet just flew past you. You can only hear the engine once it well past you and disappearing into the night.
    Then we had to change our camp position because somebody told us to hear the Audis BRAKING. You could hear the KERS working as it brakes in the corners and then it sounds like a science fiction vehicle, like UFOs.
    I am so impressed with Le Mans and WEC, I’m really more into WEC than F1 these days. But yes Audi winning all the time is a drag, even though I’m a huge Audi fan. But I don’t think Le Mans is about winning, it’s about outlasting it. If I make a car and survive the rigors of La Sarthe for 24 hours, I’m a champ.

Profile photo of HoHum
    HoHum
    Participant

@geemac, for a given power output from any engine the exhaust flow should be virtually identical, the diesel might be lower reving but its much higher compression ratio and forced induction will compensate.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

Is that right @hohum? I’m sure I have read that having a turbo takes so much energy out of the exhaust flow that it seriously reduces the effectiveness of exhaust blowing.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

A change of livery for the season:

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Some more images:

Auti R18 e-tron quattro 2014

Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

Hmm, I preferred the black testing livery.

I foresee some fans being so tired when the sun rises at hour 18 of Le Mans 24hrs that they will mix up the white Porsches and Audis!! :P

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I don’t like the all white and black look. They are colours that match but some more Red, blue or yellow quickly make the car look a lot cooler. Especially the ‘Audi-red’ they used so many times. I say the car needs more red. Now it is almost the same livery as the Porsche.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Audi’s explanation for the livery:

Aside from the unusual drive which brought back memories of a Le Mans era from the distant past when the drivers would arrive in their own race cars, Audi surprised the public with a new livery of the Le Mans car. While the body of the new R18 e-tron quattro was still black with red details when the car made its world debut in December, a striking color scheme now catches the eye. The new color scheme of white, silver, red and black stands for fresh, expressive graphics. “The colors are symbolic,” explains Dirk van Braeckel, Design Manager Motorsport and Special Projects at Audi. “Silver emphasizes the past success in racing. As a very quiet color, it provides the base for our livery. White, as the second color, harmonizes well with silver and appears very light. It stands for the hybrid drive. White is used asymmetrically in order to symbolize the complexity of this powertrain technology.” The contours are modeled after the conductive tracks on PCBs, but clearly featured as an abstraction.

The next color is black. It is used for the front and rear wings, as well as on sections of the fenders and sides with highly defined geometric contours. “We opted for matt black, as it nicely contrasts with the gloss white,” says van Braeckel. “Black stands for light-weight design. The black look of the large fin on the engine cover is intended to represent something like a backbone.” A unique red – Audi’s performance color – completes the graphics. Special characteristics include the reflecting surfaces of the elements, Audi’s logos and inscriptions that are exclusively applied to these areas, as well as the pronounced longitudinal orientation of the color in the overall concept. “The reflective livery is particularly impressive at night and provides the spectators with an enhanced experience,” explains van Braeckel. “Due to its longitudinal orientation the graphics express the speed that is so typical for Le Mans. Even the rims include a red segment. Due to the wheel rotation, it achieves a very dynamic effect.”

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

A very cool idea for the launch, and it looks great – nicely refreshed (they were beginning to look the same from one year to the next) and different enough from the Porsche. I guess we’ll find out if the Rebellion cars are also white (or still in Lotus colours) in a couple of days when they give Fabio Leimer a test.

Interesting that they’ve binned the ERS-H: That should save some weight if it means no batteries on board.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Now that it’s no longer in black (which I preferred) it looks much less menacing at the front. I hadn’t realised how much the nose and lights had shrank before.

I find it odd that they call silver the base colour, seeing as how black and white are both more prominent. I find it too much of a hodge-podge personally- their last one was as well, but the colours at least weren’t as contrasting. The beautifully fluid, simple originals are still best.

http://www.automotorblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Audi-R18-TDI-2011-Le-Mans-24-Hour-Winner-2.jpg

http://www.24h-en-piste.com/2011/2011_2_Preliminaires.jpg

I know they’re quite plain liveries, but I don’t care when they show off the shape of the car so well.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

And I had not realised that the rules were so different this year.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/audi-r-18-e-tron-pictures-2014-3-25

Audi have changed their plan with regards to the ERS.

Profile photo of Force Maikel
    Force Maikel
    Participant

I know the livery’s are different but come on, same concern, same colours? Meh, I guess, at least Toyota brings some colour to the fight.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

That is fairly plain actually, there is going to be a lot of white on the WEC grid this season. At least the racing should be good.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.