World Endurance Championship

Pictures: 2015 Toyota TS040 revealed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Toyota have revealed the TS040 which they will defend the World Endurance Championship crown with (click for larger versions):

2015 Toyota TS040

More on the car from Toyota:

The championship-winning car has been updated for 2015, with updated aerodynamics, revised front end including crash structure and new suspension kinematics to optimize tyre usage, plus additional weight saving.

The TS040 HYBRID will again benefit from the proven TOYOTA HYBRID System – Racing powertrain, which boasts excellent thermal efficiency and delivers a total maximum power of over 1,000PS.

As with last season, the TS040 HYBRID will compete within the 6MJ hybrid category with enhancements, such as modifications to the super capacitor construction to increase performance.

The team has prepared two different aerodynamic packages for this season, both of which will be tested at Paul Ricard this week. The Le Mans option is better suited to the high-speed La Sarthe track while the sprint package generates higher levels of downforce due to revisions on the rear wing, engine cover and front bodywork.

Development began directly after last year’s Le Mans 24 Hours and the updated car was tested for the first time on 13 January at Paul Ricard. Further three-day tests at Motorland Aragon (twice) and Portimao mean the 2015 TS040 HYBRID has completed over 25,000km prior to today’s official launch.

Toyota also annunced Kamui Kobayashi as their test and reserve driver.

2015 Toyota TS040

2015 Toyota TS040

2015 Toyota TS040

2015 Toyota TS040

2015 Toyota TS040

2015 Toyota TS040

Bullfrog
    Participant

I will click for a larger version – still not used to how small and narrow these look! Especially when they get photobombed by a GTE car in the background.
    Unlike some people they’re aware of the value of number 1 and what an achievement it represents for the whole team.
    Looking forward to seeing the Porsche later, and hoping for the best with its livery…

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

I like what they did with the headlights to be honest. That’s a proper oldschool look they went for there. And it’s pretty much in (high) contrast to the Audi and the Nissan.

LMP1 is a looker this season!

Also, that Kobayashi story is good news. Could pave the way for a full season drive in 2016. Or for a 3rd car at Spa an Le Mans, hopefully.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

That so needs to happen.. 3rd car.. unless their plan is for Kobayashi to replace Wurz/Sarrazin once one of them retire? I can see them having a Japanese driver in each car so that if one car wins Le Mans, there’s also a winning Japanese driver (Nakajima or Kobayashi). Unless Super Formula is the current priority for Kamui?

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@fastiesty I don’t see either Wurz/Sarrazin/Davidson/Buemi leaving Toyota anytime soon. Kobayashi could be set for Nakajima’s seat as he not the most impressive driver out there. Or Conway’s if he’s thinking of taking on other commitments next year (otherwise he’s a pretty quick and reliable driver to replace).

However, a 3rd car at Le Mans is slowly becoming a necessity for them. Toyota is yet to win the 24H race since its comeback and the fact that this year they’re outnumbered 9 to 2 isn’t really doing them any favours again. The problem is Toyota isn’t really keen on the costs implied by running a 3rd car and I don’t think Kobayashi is enough of a reason to change their mind. If they do finally(!) decide to run a 3rd car in 2016, I’ll bet my a#&! that Kobayashi is going to be in it, though .

Damon
    Participant

It’s weird how the evolution of design has lead to the head lights looking almost exactly like they looked on cars 30-40 years ago.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118728

Nakajima now looks unlikely to make it to Le Mans after being diagnosed with a broken vertebra. If so, technically Kobayashi is next in line to join Davidson and Buemi in the #1 car for the 24H.

PorscheF1
    Participant

I head from Ulrich himself (He ate dinner at the same B&B I stayed) he would be out for three months.

@bullfrog

Unlike some people they’re aware of the value of number 1

Which is nothing

and what an achievement it represents for the whole team.

Which is a lot. A whole lot :)

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@tony031r Hehe, it happened a bit quicker than how you called it, “Kobayashi is set for Nakajima’s seat”. But Lapierre could also be picked (unlikely, but still technically under contract/available if Kamui is not?).

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@fastiesty Lapierre is confirmed to race with KCMG in the LMP2 category at Le Mans this year.

Sure, driver swaps and line-up changes happen easily in the WEC and he is still under contract with Toyota, but I think whatever differences they had are irreconcilable. Lapierre left under dubious circumstances and no one spoke about the real reason yet. Toyota used the generic “personal issues” to describe the context of Lapierre’s departure which can only mean it goes way further than that.

Also, Toyota already said Kobayashi would have even raced at Spa as well if they didn’t have to fly him in last-minute from Japan.

Let’s just hope Toyota get their act together and manage to sort their drivers (whoever they will be) out with a competitive car in time for the 24H race.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@fastiesty Also, I don’t think it’s just Le Mans where they’ll need a substitute. Unfortunately there are rumours saying Nakajima’s injury could keep him off the circuits for as long as six months.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Kobayashi will do great. I’d love to see him do all the doubling.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@xtwl Kobayashi should indeed do a better job than Nakajima who never really stood out as being neither the quickest nor the most composed driver in those two line-ups. The bar isn’t really set THAT high. If Kamui dials his aggressiveness down a bit and keeps it clean in the long run he can’t possibly make a fool of himself.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@xtwl Are there any clashes with Super Formula? If not.. makes sense for Kamui to do both.

@tony031r
    True, that breakup just smelled fishy. Maybe like McLaren, Toyota just need to make sure they can deliver 2 strong cars and leave it at that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.