World Endurance Championship

Pictures: Updated Le Mans-spec Toyota TS030 for Spa Six Hours

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Toyota will run their updated TS030 Hybrid at this weekend’s Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps after testing it at Portimao last weekend. Here are pictures of the revised car:

Toyota TS030 Hybrid, Portimao, 2013

Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima will race the updated 2013 car (#7) while Anthony Davidson, Stephane Sarrazin and Sebastien Buemi remain in the 2012-spec car (#8).

Details on the changes to the car from Toyota:

The updated TS030 Hybrid features modifications to chassis and powertrain, with increased performance, reliability and serviceability the priorities.

A revised aerodynamic package, including an updated monocoque, delivers improved performance whilst minimising the impact of updated regulations in 2013 which increase the minimum weight for manufacturer LMP1 cars by 15kg.

The Toyota Hybrid System – Racing powertrain again uses a unique super capacitor to deliver 300hp of boost automatically, on top of the 530hp generated by a 3.4litre, normally-aspirated V8 petrol engine.

Ahead of a completely new development for 2014 due to regulation changes, Toyota’s Motor Sport Division in Higashifuji has fine-tuned the powertrain to improve power, efficiency, management of component usage and reliability.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Impressive. I like how the Audi actually looks like an Apache Helicopter. And everybody says F1 is not road relevant.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Those mirrors look useless, they’re about even with the driver. Obviously this us specially designed for Le Man’s. No intakes at the front and a low rear wing with smaller inner endplates are all indicative of a low downforce set up. Hopefully they will do well this year.

S.J.M
    Participant

Toyota looked excelllent at Le Man last year as a debut car and certainly shocked many people (myself included) but just how competitive it was, jump forward 12months and its going to be interesting to see what happens.

Cant wait for Le Mans, and I do love the look of these LMP1’s. Best of luck to Toyota.

Giggsy11
    Participant

Audi needs a challenge like Peugeot gave them a few years back. They always have dominance but I bet even Audi like good competition, Hoping for a good race.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is is just me or can anyone else see somewhat of a F1 car hiding in there?

Roald
    Participant

@abdurahman I can almost assure you F1 cars will look more and more like LMP1 cars over the years. Closed cockpits will eventually happen no matter what and I’m quite sure the next step is closing the wheels to prevent cars flying throught the air thanks to wheel-to-wheel contact.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@roald
    I think you could be right. The amount of clamor about closing cockpits after the near miss on Alonso after Spa the other year seemed like some were ready for it almost immediately.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.