World Endurance Championship

Porsche to run third LMP1 car in 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Atticus
    Participant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116929

Is is just me, or does anyone else think it’s practically for Jenson (and two other drivers, or course)? In that case, WEC would go from strength to strength – Nissan joins as the fourth manufacturer and Button joins as another top-caliber driver.

Their 2015 races should be even more interesting than the 2014 ones – especially as they lack most of the gimmicks which currently plague F1.

Atticus
    Participant

To be precise, the additional entry is only for Spa and Le Mans.

Hopefully some of the F1-grade talent which will inevitably be left out next year by the declining numbers of teams will find their way into that car.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

If those two dates don’t clash with an F1 race (and Le Mans certainly won’t), maybe the Hulkenberg extra Porsche races rumour might stir up again! @atticus-2 @keithcollantine

Atticus
    Participant

On a second thought, it might not be for Button after all – Button said he will race in 2015, and I presume he meant the majority of 2015, and that third car will only contest two races.

So a Button to Nissan (another Japanese manufacturer) is another, perhaps more likely, possibility.

Which, of course, would leave the door open for one more driver in that Porsche seat.

Girts
    Participant

Rumour has it Alonso and possibly Hulkenberg are a part of this…

Force Maikel
    Participant

The fact Alonso made several visits to Mark Webber this year during WEC events makes this rumour even more juicy

Atticus
    Participant

Well, as an Alonso fan, Le Mans (and Spa) would gain +1 viewer, who this time becomes glued to the screen for 24 hours, lol. Exaggerating a bit, as I often at least follow what’s going on in the race, but you get the picture.

That would be awesome and a fair bit of publicity for both Le Mans and WEC. Just what they need – as I said, they’re going from strength to strength.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I for one welcome the prospect of F1 drivers taking part in a few events in other categories, the WEC above all – but with 20 races on the calendar it’s going to be tough to find a spare weekend!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Would McLaren allow their driver to appear in a Porsche?
    Couldn’t see Mercedes letting one of their F1 stars race a Porsche or Audi. Or, for that matter, Honda letting its no.1 driver drive for Toyota or Nissan.
    I don’t see any such conflicts with Hulkenberg, unless Porsche is sponsored by any airlines you can’t book any flights with, or Indian cricket teams.

George
    Participant

Yeah I had the same thought, it doesn’t make much sense for McLaren to let Alonso drive for a direct commercial competitor, especially when they’re about to release a 911 rival.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

McLaren have far bigger issues than letting Alonso drive in some WEC races, personally I would love to see him and Hulkenberg team up in a WEC car, and see if they can win. McLaren just need to concentrate on getting back to the front of F1 with Honda first.

Mark Gallagher is right, would McLaren consider this a deal breaker to sign the driver of this era?

PS. I like how the very next day the Hulk talk started to rise again!

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Nico Hulkenberg confirmed. In the post-Bellof era, a deal like this is a very rare yet pleasant occurrence.

For anyone who may now have seen:

Hulkenberg to race LMP1 Porsche at Le Mans and Spa

Definitely good news for motor racing as a whole. Suspect Ecclestone won’t be doing cartwheels…

MazdaChris
    Participant

I wonder how many other WEC/F1 rumours will come true.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.