World Endurance Championship

Video: Closest-ever finish in ALMS thriller at Road America

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Guy Smith held off Lucas Luhr by 0.083s in a thrilling finish to yesterday’s American Le Mans Series race at Road America.

Luhr and team mate Klaus Graf had a race of recovery in the Pickett Racing HPD after a water leak cost them four laps.

However they were able to recover the deficit through the four-hour race and a final safety car period brought them within range of the leaders with a quarter of an hour to go.

Luhr spent the final laps of the race chasing down Guy Smith (Dyson Racing Lola-Mazda). The leaders also had to make up ground after starting near-last following a gearbox glitch in qualifying.

The video below takes up the story from there – the final two laps are especially intense viewing as the leaders dodge through traffic around the high-speed Road America track – and Luhr makes a do-or-die move at the final corner…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-0-auqptg&t=55s

The_Pope

Wow. I’ve never watched it before but this was great. I don’t know who the Geordie commentator is but he makes a nice change :)

91jb12
    Participant

John Hindhaugh (I think i got the surname right!), he’s a really entertaining commentator and he does loads of sportscar stuff for radio le mans etc, I think he’s great

MethylONE
    Participant

Great finish, I couldn’t call it at any point, I kept changing my mind. Fantastic.

Omar de la Cruz
    Participant

Wow, great to see the battle go on even through heavy traffic! I thought it was about Bergmeister and Magnussen again, reminds me of this one:

-A-
    Participant

That’s skill and a few delicate chunks of luck in combination. I really enjoyed watching this. Especially since you can see they respected each other and didn’t manage to take each other off on the run to the checkered flag…

F1Yankee
    Participant

John Hindhaugh (I think i got the surname right!), he’s a really entertaining commentator and he does loads of sportscar stuff for radio le mans etc, I think he’s great

i agree, he’s 1 of my top 5. his partner there, who’s name escapes me, is also good. at le mans, he had some some excellent racing stories from the good/bad old days.

Victor_RO
    Participant

his partner there, who’s name escapes me, is also good. at le mans, he had some some excellent racing stories from the good/bad old days.

Jeremy Shaw. Ex-pat Brit, runs a “driver ladder” for young US drivers and used to commentate on CART alongside Ben Edwards for Eurosport.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.