Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

World Endurance Championship

Public Group active 5 days, 12 hours ago

Groups for fans of the World Endurance Championship and other forms of endurance racing.

Video: Davidson injured in airborne crash

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of necrodethmortem necrodethmortem 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Polishboy808
    Polishboy808
    Participant

Its hard to keep the car down in that situation, the right rear wheel came off so the left front was up in the air,inviting that air underneathe it. Had that wheel not come off, he wouldnt’ve gone over. What didn’t work well were the holes in the fenders, those should have let the air escape and eliminate lift, but at that speed it didn’t do much. The fin did straighten the car out though, but in this situation that wasn’t such a good thing.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

That’s more an answer to how he got out, my question was why he did so quickly. I know he wasn’t exactly parked in a safe zone, but shouldn’t he have taken the time to check whether he was ok, or even wait for a medic or marshal, after a shunt like that?

Again, becuse of the adrenaline.

Have you ever been in a car accident before? I have, and like a lot of other people, they can’t recall the minutes leading up to the actual crash. When I had my accident, the last thing I could remember was a turn-off two kilometres back down the road. One of the side effects of adrenaline is memory blanking; Mark Webber said that the last thing he remembered when his Mercedes flipped in 1999 was thinking “This is going to be interesting” as he caught the car in front. Davidson probably realised that he was in the barriers, and with the anaesthetic properties of adrenaline, he probably didn’t feel the pain until much later (if you’ve ever seen the “Top Gear” episode where Jeremy Clarkson drives a lorry through a brick wall, but doesn’t actually feel the pain of the impact straight away, this is exactly what I’m talking about). He probably didn’t realise the nature of the accident or the extent of his injury, and so treated it like any other accident where the driver’s priority is to clear the scene of the accident immediately.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

Regardless of who was to blame, how quickly Ant got out of the car and the reasons for the car getting airborne, I think we should all just be grateful that Ant is relatively ok after this shunt… it could have been much worse for him. Hopefully he’ll make a speedy recovery.

The thing that got me as well was the way the car moved around in the air. Iit veered noticably left (or right depending on the perspective). I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the shark fin but I’ve never seen a racing car which had been airborne do that before, maybe someone who knows about these things could fill us in.

Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

An interesting point made by the commentators on Dutch RTL was that the HANS system can actually cause back injuries, because the seat belts just below the HANS, so over the driver’s chest, are not as snug as they should be. Now, the hips and the shoulders are firmly strapped in, but the chest is not, which can cause it to move forwards in a large crash. Weren’s there two back injuries last week, too, one in Le Mans practice and one in FR3.5?

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

Yes, too many back injuries around at the moment. Don’t know the details of Guillaume Moreau’s testing accident, but Richie Stanaway also had a heavy landing in Renault 3.5. Makes you realise how fortunate Mark Webber was in Valencia two years ago.

I wonder if anything can be done with padding under the seat to prevent these injuries? Maybe there’s an opportunity with the drivers sitting higher in the car (to improve their view out) in the 2014 sportscar rules.

Profile photo of necrodethmortem
    necrodethmortem
    Participant

Have you ever been in a car accident before? I have, and like a lot of other people, they can’t recall the minutes leading up to the actual crash. When I had my accident, the last thing I could remember was a turn-off two kilometres back down the road. One of the side effects of adrenaline is memory blanking; Mark Webber said that the last thing he remembered when his Mercedes flipped in 1999 was thinking “This is going to be interesting” as he caught the car in front. Davidson probably realised that he was in the barriers, and with the anaesthetic properties of adrenaline, he probably didn’t feel the pain until much later (if you’ve ever seen the “Top Gear” episode where Jeremy Clarkson drives a lorry through a brick wall, but doesn’t actually feel the pain of the impact straight away, this is exactly what I’m talking about). He probably didn’t realise the nature of the accident or the extent of his injury, and so treated it like any other accident where the driver’s priority is to clear the scene of the accident immediately.

I had a low-speed barrel roll in my uncle’s 2CV in an amateur dirt cross a couple of years ago. I could continue afterwards and I thought it was pretty funny. Doesn’t really count I suppose, but that’s the only car accident I can think of. I also had a near-miss with a car that was cutting a corner when I was soaring downhill on my mountainbike once. I kept going at first, but later I had to stop because my heart was going berserk, so I sort-of know what you’re talking about.

Either way, I always thought the ability to keep your head cool, even when you’re in a huge rush, is what separates professional racing drivers from occasional Sunday clowns like myself. But of course, if he really didn’t feel anything, I understand he thought nothing of it.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.