World Endurance Championship

Video: Toyota TS040 Hybrid revealed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Here’s Toyota’s new car for the 2014 World Endurance Championship, the TS040:

BasCB
    Participant

So, should we take the wheel arches with the headlights as something of a front wing sideplate? Seems both this and the Porsche have them pretty much straight up at the front and with a tapering back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did they read the F1 nosecone rules by accident? That’s a horrible front end they’ve stuck on an otherwise pretty car.

Oh well, there’s still the audi to look at. and the Strakka, and the Rebellion (when they both finally show up) and all the pretty LMP2 machines.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Looks like a truck. Those headlights are nasty. And it’s not even using them in the video. Ban them!

A few pictures:

Toyota TS040 Hybrid, 2014

Toyota reckon it produces 1,000PS – around 984bhp!

Toyota Racing today launched its new TS040 Hybrid car prior to the team’s third season of FIA World Endurance Championship competition, with a revised driver line-up.

After two years of the same line-ups in the #7 and #8 cars, the team has slightly reshuffled its driver crews. That means Alex Wurz, Stephane Sarrazin and Kazuki Nakajima share the #7 car while Anthony Davidson, Nicolas Lapierre and Sebastien Buemi are in the #8.

They will have an all-new car at their disposal for 2014 following the introduction of the TS040 HYBRID, which features a number of significant changes compared to its predecessor.

A bigger hybrid system now delivers a maximum of 1000PS to all four wheels while the car is, by regulation, narrower and runs on narrower tyres, with advanced aerodynamics optimising air flow. As part of the new regulations, fuel usage is strictly controlled to encourage more efficiency and as a result drivers are required to adapt their driving style.

Ahead of the official car launch at Paul Ricard today, the drivers gave their impressions of the new TS040 Hybrid and their feelings for the upcoming season.

GeeMac
    Participant

That’s an odd looking thing. No idea what they have done around the wheelarches, the Audi and Porsche seem to have a lot tighter around them.

MazdaChris
    Participant

I wonder what the fuel usage is on these new cars, and how it compares to the new F1 engines. Interesting that they have three different tiers of hybrid power they can choose from under the P1 rules, and Audi have chosen a different one to Toyota. Definitely a lot more technical freedom for teams to choose their own path, and it’s a testament to the rules that the cars always seem to end up so closely matched despite massive technical differences.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Everyone’s griping about how it looks and yet my eyes are focused on that (alleged) 984 BHP figure which is extremely good-looking.

toiago
    Participant

@rjoconnell – That’s me as well. And what I think is more incredible is that the hybrid system is producing almost as much power as the V8. It’s amazing, and ought to bode well for Toyota, especially with the 4WD configuration they now have. I sincerely hope that those numbers translate to competitiveness on the track.

Carlitox
    Participant

The front does look ugly, but it’s not F1 ugly… it’s more badass ugly. And if it has that savage power, I don’t care! WEC is shaping a milliom times better than F1. I’m sure more and more manufacturers will join in years to come if they keep doing a good job with the regulations.

toiago
    Participant

About its looks, it reminded me of this: The Lister Storm LMP

Calum
    Participant

Here’s hoping they can take the fight to the German P1 teams and build on their five WEC victories to give us a great season!

Nick
    Participant

Not the best looking car, but then the Porsche isn’t all that either. I just hope the three of them have an all out battle all season long!

I do wonder why both Toyota and Porsche have such a vertical front end.

Ratboy
    Keymaster

It reminds me of the mk1 Fiat Multipla somehow..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.