RaceFans site development

Suggestion for improving “Report User” function

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Could I please make a possible suggestion for improving the blog?

I just reported a user for posting something that I thought was distasteful. However, when I actually clicked “report”, I didn’t actually get a chance to explain why I was reporting them, and I ended up sending a private message to a moderator explaining why I did it, mostly because the lack of taste in these comments wasn’t immediately obvious.

I have been a member – and a moderator – of other forums that has a reporting function that allows users to explain why they think a post is questionable, and based on that experience, I’m of the belief that it allows moderators to do their jobs better, faster and more efficiently. Instead of having to look up the offending post and trying to deduce why someone might find it questionable, they can go straight to it with a reason in hand.

Funkyf1
    Participant

May I ask if that’s the “live” blog/chat/forum this site hosts on race weekends or just the regular blog you are writing about? I myself found myself, what a considered to be a victim of a moderators dislikingduring the British gp qualifying. Several of my post were deleted after I made the mistake announcing the top qualifier in the MotoGp. Now I understand this may have been a spoiler from some, but it was never my intentions to upset people by telling them the results, I was just continueing what I thought was positive conversation during the red flag period. What followed was a disgrace. Everything I posted from there on in was deleted, even the apology to those that were upset that I had posted the result, my chance to aplogise was removed along with any further comments I chose to make. Yes I am aware of the site policy and understand I was off topic by mentioning the MotoGp, but it’s not a crime and simple explanation rather than victimization would be a much better result for all. The approach of the moderator was ignorant in my opinion as I spend alot of time on these live chats and with positive comments and have witnessed and watched football, Indy and many other sports results and conversations posted and commented on and don’t find it to be any issue, the policing of these things are generally not required.
    But after my “crime” I was gagged! Within 1min of anything else I posted ( and they weren’t negative comments, trolling or spamming )
    my comments were removed. While this particular moderator continued to throw his toys out of the cot and upset others and remove their comments as well, as he seemed to dislike their opinions on his behavior.
    I guess my point is, we all have different opinions and while mine may not match yours and so on, this is a forum/blog/chat, it encourages that exact behavior, therefore a difference in opinion. If you choose to moderate people opinions, then you have no opinion but your own, defeating the point of allowing to people to contribute.

@prisoner-monkeys I’ve taken your comments on board but it’s not a priority area for change at the moment.

@funkyf1 I do not discuss individual cases of comment moderation on the site however the rules on commenting are quite clear: stay on topic. That’s all I’m saying on this here:

https://www.racefans.net/contact/f1-fanatic-comment-policy/

Funkyf1
    Participant

@Keith Collantine so the next time you mention that the Indy cars are going to be following the qualifying/race you will remove you own comments? My comments were stating an example where i think things can improve. Is the site no longer open for improvement either? I’ve already had my pointless conversation regarding Saturday night with the moderator involved and was just explaining the situation to other users. I think you need to read the last paragraph again.

@Funkyf1 I would encourage you to re-read the headline on the page you’re referring to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.