Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Estesark

F1 Fanatic site development

Public Group active 2 days, 21 hours ago

A place for you to suggest technical changes for the site and request new groups

Trialling a new ad format

Tagged: 

This topic contains 52 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of the_sigman the_sigman 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@andy92 Yep it means there are no impressions so I don’t get paid for them.

@vinicius.jlantunes Thanks very much – it’s fixed now and available to purchase again:

Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter and go ad-free

James_mc
    Participant

Just for the record – I don’t find the adverts on this site particularly intrusive to my viewing experience. But they are also things I don’t mind browsing or buying as a result of being prompted by them.

And yes, before some wag says, of course they’re showing things I like/am interested in because they’re linked to my browsing history….

P.S. Having gone through the whole thread, I’m gutted I missed the full-screen ebay one! :-(

James_mc
    Participant

Just for the record – I don’t find the adverts on this site particularly intrusive to my viewing experience. But they are also things I don’t mind browsing or buying as a result of being prompted by them.

And yes, before some wag says, of course they’re showing things I like/am interested in because they’re linked to my browsing history….

P.S. Having gone through the whole thread, I’m gutted I missed the full-screen ebay one! :-(

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Another new ad format is now being tested. This takes the form of a thin bar across the bottom of the page.

If you notice the ad and wish to give any feedback on it, please do so here.

Of course if you’re signed up as an F1 Fanatic Supporter you won’t see any ads – information on how to become one here:

Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter and go ad-free

Lin1876
    Participant

Interestingly, I got the bar along the bottom of the page for the first time today, and I have to say there are few things I hate more. I have no problem with adverts as a concept, but the fact that it a) is always there, b) has to be manually minimised, c) is animated and d) doesn’t really go away is excruciating for me.

I really do hate to say this because I know you need the revenue, but I find it far too intrusive and I would likely add any other site to my ad blocker’s blacklist. I won’t do that here, but I’m sure others would.

the_sigman
    Participant

@lin1876: I agree with you but I wouldn’t have problem with it if it wasn’t moving.

Lin1876
    Participant

@sigman1998 I think these types of ads straddle the line of acceptability. While they don’t really intrude on the main content of the page, they’re always on screen and close enough to the main content so they are distracting, especially if they’re animated.

Furthermore, if I were an advertiser, I wouldn’t feel I was getting value for money. I’m even less likely to click on an advert I find annoying, unless it’s the minimise button. Like I said, I respect the need to advertise as much as possible, but I’m more likely to click on an advert that’s in the background (at the side, at the top or bottom of the page) than an advert I instantly minimise.

the_sigman
    Participant

At the Indycar live that advert went fullscreen. Now it’s a problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.