Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1 Games

Public Group active 2 hours, 27 minutes ago

A place to discuss Codemasters’ F1 games, Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, rFactor, iRacing and everything else to do with virtual motorsport.

Τhoughts about F1 2012

This topic contains 88 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of raymondu999 raymondu999 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey at people who don’t really understand F1 really. They said as much in their first developer diary (the one talking of the young driver test)

Stephen Jones
    Participant
    raymondu999
    Participant

I’m fine with a “qualifier” session like what GT has. THat’s what it is, really. You do tests, and after a series of successful tests you unlock a new Tier.

But I don’t like the patronising nature of the YDT. It’s meant to be a tutorial (they’ve said as much) and I know very well how to use the throttle and brakes, thank you very much.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Most people who play racing games do. But Formula 1 cars require a very different application of the throttle and brake compared to other racing games.

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I know what you mean. But there are people who’ve been racing F1 games without ABS/TCS for years. THIS crowd will not enjoy the YDT

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Like I said, the gameplay mode lasts just fifteen minutes, if the ISR video is to be believed. And those people who are already familiar with the style of driving needed in the game will be able to join a higher-ranked team earlier if they compete it.

raymondu999
    Participant

I still don’t like it. And I’m positive I won’t be the only one. Sometimes you just wanna get on with the primary stuff, you know?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The problem with that is that you run the risk of ostracising a lot of newcomers. I’ve said it several times before F1 2011 had an extreme difficulty curve, which was very nearly enough for me to return the game. A tutorial mode would have gone a long way toward fixing that.

Lin1876
    Participant

I’m going to get on my soapbox here, so please forgive me. Anyway, this is the problem with only having one developer, and I apply this to all official sports games: a lack of choice. Going back to the late 1990s, you had several developers with the F1 license, who worked on various types of game. This ranged from hardcore sims for hardcore fans like Micropose Grand Prix 3 on the PC, to more arcade fare like F1 Racing Championship on the N64/DC/etc, with the likes of F-1 World Grand Prix straddling the divide between the two. The result was player choice and real competition between developers to make the best F1 game.

Now, though, it’s sim or bust. If you want to play a somewhat realistic game with an F1 licence, you’re out of luck. Heck, I often boot my ancient copy of F-1 World Grand Prix II because I want to race without having to devote the mental energy F1 2011 requires to compete in a practice session. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy playing F1 2011, but not after a long day when I don’t want to think too much.

Just a quick personal aside, it was F1 games which got me into F1. If it were only F1 2011 available at the time, that might not have happened.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

A new F1 2012 promotional video – Codemasters doing their “recreating early bits from the season” again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJTOhCN8A8U

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I think they did Maldonado’s Melbourne crash in the wrong place though – that looks like turn ten instead of turn seven.

Anoraky nit-picking aside I like the video a lot, though!

Wallbreaker
    Participant

I noticed that too, but probably it was too hard to recreate it at turn 7 – that’s at least my suggestion because it’s obviously all in-game footage. Nevertheless, I really like it too, especially the music! Really looking forward to the soundtrack again, Codies have always been ace at that.

Cyclops_PL
    Participant

I hope that the demo version will tell us whether the performance issues on PS3 were resolved this year. I still can’t play 2011 for more than 20 minutes without going berserk about the frame rate.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

A play-through of the newly-released demo, with an everyman’s thoughts (instead of a professional reviewer) as running commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcTRH-rTXc

necrodethmortem
    Participant

I read that Codemasters have taken the Grand Prix mode out of the game. The only reason for them to do this is to ram that lame career mode down your (not mine, since I won’t be playing it) throats. Well done.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.