Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1 Games

Public Group active 13 hours, 32 minutes ago

A place to discuss Codemasters’ F1 games, Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, rFactor, iRacing and everything else to do with virtual motorsport.

Collantine Cup the Fourth

This topic contains 316 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of supernicebob supernicebob 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JamieFranklinF1
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

There’s no way we can do double points for this race…Interlagos is far too exciting to enable that. We’d need to change it to something boring :P

Profile photo of Common Monsoon
    Common Monsoon
    Participant

There’s a potentially deadly spider on my ceiling but I don’t have the heart to harm it so if I’m not present tomorrow, I’m almost certainly dead.

RIP

Common Monsoon
    Participant

One hour until the last race of the V8 era, possibly the last race of the PS3 era and possibly the last Collantine Cup race for some of us. Hopefully we’ll have a big grid and lots of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMPJRhfsxE

Collantine Cup – Season Four – Finale – Interlagos, Brazil

Laps: 35
    Previous Winners: S1: ShyGuy1992 – S2: AUS_Steve – S3: Common Monsoon

After a long and taxing season, it all comes down to a decider. This year, it’s the battle of the Lotus team mates as Season Three champion JamieFranklinF1 looks to become the first person to win multiple Collantine Cup titles while his team mate Bradley Downton attempts to take his first ever F1F online racing championship.

Interlagos is the scene for the second championship decider in the series history. Common Monsoon beat Magnificent Geoffrey to the title in the final round of the Inaugural Season here in a race that ShyGuy1992 took his first victory.

But that was then, and now both of the Lotus drivers have a chance to make history at the final race of the 2013/14 season. Who will be crowned champion? Will Common Monsoon break the single season record for most wins? Does anyone actually bother to read this crap? We’re about to find out…

Profile photo of Stephen Jones
    Stephen Jones
    Participant

It’s time for maybe the last Collantine Cup race for a while.

It’s been a pleasure racing with you folks. See you on the other side

http://youtu.be/MnKMxKG4WCE

Profile photo of ed24f1
    ed24f1
    Participant

Really really gutted, was having a very strong race and was 1 second off the lead and it drops out – my first connection loss of the whole season. Really low note to end the season…

Profile photo of Spud
    Spud
    Participant

It’s been a pleasure to race with you guys, but today I’ve hung up my racing boots (my Homer Simpson slippers). I’ve lost enthusiasm for playing this game, so I think it’s best to let someone else take my slot. Wherever the Collantine Cup goes from here, I’ll wish you all well and I’ll keep watching from the sidelines.

Congrats to Jamie on another championship, and well done to everyone else who drove so well. Thank you all for having me. We might see each other on a few Gran Turismo shuffle races or something sometime soon.

Profile photo of JamieFranklinF1
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Well, it’s been a fun-filled season, with lots of highs and lows for everyone, I think. Multiple winners, and another Championship going down to the wire. I feel like the first and last races are the only ones that I truly put my all in, so whilst frustrating at times, it’s been fun to battle with you all :)

I’ll start off with quali – I was always going into the race with high downforce and as much cornering grip as I could muster, without losing too much turn-in. In truth, it crippled me on the straights, giving people a good 20kph on me on the back straight alone, but I never felt confident enough to be on the same strategy as everyone else. So in all, I was really pleased with 4th, and was praying for some wet weather.

The race itself was really tough. I was constantly focused on the fear of disconnecting at some point, but luckily that never came about. However, the rain did :)
    My gamble more than paid off at the start, as I was able to rocket into first before the first corner thanks to superior traction. Even better was that everyone who I believed to be really fast all seemed to fall back. Obviously, I don’t wish bad luck upon others, but it really helped me out. My wet setup enabled me to pull a half-decent lead in the first 10 laps, before we entered the dry stage of the race, and I just prayed that I wouldn’t be caught too quickly. My pace was good, but the speed deficit made it really difficult to maintain the lead. Inevitably, Damon finally caught and passed me with ease, and thankfully I was far enough ahead to keep Steve at bay…just.

To win the title again, is absolutely fantastic. I don’t feel it was all that deserved, but then again, in a lot of those races, Damon was nigh on unbeatable anyway. I feel in USA and Monza especially, I could have done far better, but that’s neither here nor there now. This game has been difficult for me to get to grips with in comparison to 2012, so I’m hoping that F1 2014 has something better to offer :P

As I said, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed racing against you all again, and commiserations to Ed today for disconnecting in a race he could have easily finished on the podium, to Damon for disconnecting on more than one occasion, and Bradley for coming so close. I have to say that Bradley has really upped his game this year, and it’s great to see. I’ll need to put in more hours to stop him getting so close next time ;)

Anyway, given a lot of the bad luck this season, I thought this was an appropriate ‘end credits’…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Well, where do I start.

Congratulations must first go to Jamie. He drove better than me in more races than I drove better than him despite the fact I won more races. But no matter who had come out on top today I think we’ll all agree – I know Jamie will because we’ve spoken about this – that this really was Damon’s Championship.

Meanwhile, I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with today’s result.

The fastest lap I’d managed in practice was a 1:10.4. Achieved earlier in the morning while practicing with Jamie. I never expected to get near it in Qualifying and so was pleasantly surprised to do another 1:10.4 – especially so on the Prime tyres – to put me in third.

Then it all went wrong. It rained for the race. This immediately eliminated any advantage I had by Qualifying on the Primes. I got a rather naff start along with everyone else except Jamie. I saw him fly down the inside into the lead and knew I was in for a tough race from then on. Then as I braked for turn 1 – between Damon and Steve – I suddenly flew off the track. I’m not sure if this was as a results of being between two Aussies or whether I got a wallop from behind but I’d appreciate it if anyone saw and could let me know.

While recovering from that I just got going before being spun out again – this time by Steve, who I presume was also trying to recover. I moved away, already 15-20 seconds off the lead and knowing i had no chance. I drove my nuts off and eventually managed to catch some people up. Spud was brilliant in not putting up much of a fight while I had a slight altercation with silverkeg along the first straight due to him teleporting everywhere.

I then set about catching slr and passed him in the non-start/finish straight DRS zone. I was ahead well before the corner and turned in, only to receive another wallop putting me in another spin and costing me another 10 seconds. He did wait and let me through but the damage was already done. I was 30+ seconds behind Jamie and had just shy of 30 laps to recover. Being a second a lap quicker then the reigning Champion was never going to be easy.

I set about driving my nuts off again and passing cars almost at will. I had some fights but never really took much of it in. When the time came to switch to Slicks I gambled on Primes hoping Jamie had gone for Options and would need two more stops rather than one. It was a rather vain hope but I had little else. By the time I needed to stop again I decided to go with Options – just so I could be fairly quick – and set off again.

I pushed as hard as I could but the tyres gave up completely in the final two laps. In all fairness they had done 14 and from experience I knew they were only good for 12 before dropping off. To finish just 10-15 seconds behind Jamie knowing I lost at least 25 in incidents that weren’t really my fault is hard to stomach, especially so when I was quicker in Qualifying and the Race. But I suppose these things happen. Not that it makes it any easier to take.

I just hope I get to grips with F1 2014 quicker than the rest of you and continue my surprisingly good form next season. Because you can be damn sure if the Collantine Cup is running, I’ll be going harder than ever.

Profile photo of electrolite
    electrolite
    Participant

First and foremost, congratulations to @jamiefranklinf1 for another title and superb season. Commiserations to the relentless @commonmonsoon who in my eyes deserved it this year, but that’s not to take anything away from Jamie.

As for Sunday, I hadn’t practised until a couple of hours before the race, so I was always going to be off the pace!

Qualifying = 7th

The midfield was ridiculously tight and about 5 cars were separated by a tenth!

Race = 5th

I managed to get a clean start and dodged a lot of trouble through the Senna S. By the straight, I’d found myself in 2nd. My pace wasn’t quite up to Jamie’s, but at least for this (wet) part of the race I was happy! @ed24f1 soon overtook me after a minor mistake, and the 2 Red Bulls which I knew would be running faster made their way past later. Bad luck to Ed who disconnected! @bradley13 slowed down a lot on the last lap and I was right on his rear wing at the finish line!

Although I’ve got nothing to show for it, I feel I’ve improved again in Season 4. This has been by far my busiest season in terms of real life stuff! I’ve fought for the lead in a few races which is more than can be said in the past. Yeah, I threw away a pole-and-win Singapore again, but it was down to a blind strategy rather than driving into a wall. Spa was my best race, biggest regret by far is missing Monza, and it was definitely one of them seasons where if I could go back in time and change some tiny split second decisions it would have made for much better results! Great fun though guys, as always, even if it was only for 6 races.

Special thanks goes to my team-mate @magnificent-geoffrey, for doing a magnificent job of doing the OP and organising the series, and it’s a shame we didn’t do much racing on track.

Profile photo of Stephen Jones
    Stephen Jones
    Participant

That was a fun race!

Got lagpunted as soon as I hit the brakes for T1 and did my usual trick of finding the one point on the track that is hardest to pull a 3 point turn and get away from. After that I fought through and came 3rd or something. Highlights were getting turned around by my chronically slow teammate and nearly catching JF on the line before running out of fuel in the final sector.

I’ll chuck up a video and see you all next time we’re racing!

Profile photo of supernicebob
    supernicebob
    Participant

Huge apologies for falling off the face of the earth this weekend guys. Real life got in the way unfortunately, but in a good way. Congratulations to Jamie on the championship and well done to everyone for making it a great season as always. Despite not having the time to fully commit to it I have actually ended up having my most successful season. I’m not sure I really improved that much, the game just felt a bit more forgiving when it came to mistakes and a lot of other guys faster than myself had a lot of misfortune.

Given the level of commitment I’ve been able to deliver this time around, I can’t really be sure that I’ll be back again. I’d like to be, and I have unfinished busniess RE: the podium, but it doesn’t seem fair to be taking up a place on the grid that won’t be fully used. I guess I’ll have to see where I am when November rolls around once more. Never say never and all that stuff.

Whatever happens, I have massive respect for all the guys I’ve raced against over the last few years and it has been a huge pleasure to do so. I hope we’ll all be racing against each other in the future too. Enormous thanks to those who have been instrumental in making it happen, especially Magnificent Geoffrey.

Remember, racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Common Monsoon
    Participant

Oops.

Another disaster. Couldn’t get within 2 seconds of the lap time I wanted from qualifying and ran out of time to improve on a lap that involved several mistakes and a couple of minor crashes. Then in my frustration at how long it took to change tyres, I accidentally pulled a Ned Flanders/Magnificent Geoffrey (I guess it’s also called a Common Monsoon now…). It wasn’t until the menu screen popped up that I realised what I’d done. The disconnects this season have stung, but it’s worse when it’s self-inflicted.

Anyway, my championship situation is looking a little bit… bad. If this season’s pattern continues I should be able to finish at Monza and then disconnect/retire from the finale! Can’t really say I’ve got what I paid for with this game.

@Electrolite You may have had the last laugh today, but I’m still beating you in the championship and I’ve only contested 50% of the races… :-P

http://youtu.be/rJx65Ctdx-c

Common Monsoon
    Participant

Oops.

Another disaster. Couldn’t get within 2 seconds of the lap time I wanted from qualifying and ran out of time to improve on a lap that involved several mistakes and a couple of minor crashes. Then in my frustration at how long it took to change tyres, I accidentally pulled a Ned Flanders/Magnificent Geoffrey (I guess it’s also called a Common Monsoon now…). It wasn’t until the menu screen popped up that I realised what I’d done. The disconnects this season have stung, but it’s worse when it’s self-inflicted.

Anyway, my championship situation is looking a little bit… bad. If this season’s pattern continues I should be able to finish at Monza and then disconnect/retire from the finale! Can’t really say I’ve got what I paid for with this game.

@Electrolite You may have had the last laugh today, but I’m still beating you in the championship and I’ve only contested 50% of the races… :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJx65Ctdx-c

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.