F1 Games

F1 on RTL?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just installed a satellite at 19.2 east and it picks up a lot of german channels including “RTL Television”. Can someone please confirm that it will broadcast all f1 races live next year? Cause I am still not 100% sure.. I know there are ads but I was planning on using 5 live commentary..

Tim Crimson
    Participant

Yes, the 3rd Free Practice, Qualifying and of course the Race of each GP are beeing broadcasted live.

You can call yourself lucky if you don’t understand a word German as the commentary is a legendary fail…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you I am so relieved..

Zadak

Look everyone, a solution!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dont know if the 5 live commentary would be in sinc with the rtl coverage on tv..it would be terrible if the radio commentary was like 5 seconds slower than the tv footage..is there any way of fixing that?

Asanator
    Participant

Haha, but it does mean you will have to put up with James Allen, I think I’d rather give Sky the money!

Renner

The 3rd practice is not shown live, they show a shortened version before qualifying
    If you can watch other German channels Sport1 shows both Friday practices live

Girts
    Participant

I’ve been watching F1 on RTL since 2000. I’m relatively satisfied with their coverage. I’ve always preferred it to the Latvian TV coverage (for those who believe Jonathan Legard & RTL are terrible – believe me, it IS possible to be worse than that); what is more, now Latvian free-to-air channels don’t show F1 live anymore.

RTL show some commercials between qualifying sessions and during the race but I don’t think that they’re too long and that you miss much because of them. But there are other things that I don’t like. The crew has remained the same for many many years and imho needs some new blood. They are very focused on the German drivers, particularly Vettel and it gets annoying if you are not a fan of them / him. Pre-race ‘analysis’ mainly consists of interviewing all German drivers and showing Vettel’s face / car from all possible angles. It’s unlikely you’ll ever see an interview with di Resta or Kobayashi. The analysis part is pretty weak although Lauda is sometimes interesting to hear. The commentators are tolerable but definitely not as good as Martin Brundle (from what I’ve heard). The lowlight of the season was the moment when RTL interviewed Rowan Atkinson while everyone else was observing a moment of silence to remember Simoncelli and Wheldon.

Sport1 shows quite many commercials during Friday practice sessions. The early morning FP1 sessions (Japan, Australia etc.) are usually delayed but otherwise it’s OK.

I think that the combination of RTL and Sport1 is certainly better than illegal web streams, delayed races or nothing at all, particularly if you can combine it with 5Live commentary. However, if I was living in the UK and if I could afford to pay the fee, then I would probably choose Sky.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have Sport 1..does it show the qualifying and races live aswell?

Girts
    Participant

@shaneb457 No, only both Friday practice sessions are shown live. I think Sport1 shows extended highlights of qualifying and races some hours after the race / qualifying has finished but no live coverage. So RTL is the only free-to-air German TV channel that shows qualifying and races live.

sozavele
    Participant

I don’t think this thread belongs in the games section as from what I can see there is no refrence to gaming, it really belongs in the ‘F1’ thread. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes I apologize..Im new to this forum you see..=[

amid lauren
    Participant

I’m pretty sure they will block the signal for the live races.. If they hadn’t blocked until now RTL signal during races in the UK, that’s because UK had them in open signal anyway.. Otherwise it just wouldn’t make sense

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s sickening! Hopefully that’s not the case after I’ve gone to the trouble of getting the channel..how likely is it that it would be blocked?

amid lauren
    Participant

Well, I’ve seen it happen.. RTL broadcasts F1, you can watch the races there, F1 goes to pay TV, RTL’s signal gets encrypted during the races.. It’s an economic measure. Sky, having bought F1 and intending to broadcast it by pay TV must assure it won’t be broadcasted on open signal to the UK by satellite, otherwise nobody would sign for them to watch F1. There’s probably I wouldn’t say an agreement between Sky and the satellite provider, but an obligation for it (the satellite provider) to encrypt the signal (forced by whoever regulates TV in the UK)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.