So, within days of the F1F Forza Motorsport 3 Championship starting up, E3 is here along with much news about Forza Motorsport 4.
- It’s looking epic. 500 cars from 80 manufacturers, with the addition of monthly car download packs. Initial videos have shown hints of what look like single seaters, which is a first for the series and I’m sure we’ll be jumping on that.
- Presumably several new tracks, one of which they’re showing off currently. A half purpose built/half road circuit in the Swiss Alps. There’s also signs of the Top Gear test track being in there.
- Head tracking using Kinect, as well as a showroom where you can look around the cars, open doors, boot, bonnet, etc, with voiceovers provided by none other than Jeremy Clarkson. Apparently more Top Gear related info becomes available today and tomorrow (8th/9th June).
- Car clubs… like clans in Call of Duty or guilds in World of Warcraft. We can all group up and easily share cars, paints, tunes, etc, as well as easily have races and championships. Even have rivalries with other clubs. F1Fanatic Car Club, anyone? Very excited about this option.
- A new physics model, adding to the realism, and a new difficulty mode where no assists are allowed. A new tyre physics model has been co-developed with Pirelli. Could that be a hint towards some F1 stuff being in there? No signs of that yet.
- Night and day racing, to bring the endurance experience to life. Hopefully this will be available on multiple tracks, and not just Le Mans or similar. No sign of wet-weather racing yet, although I’m not overly bothered by that. I like my race tracks to be dry.
- New modes, both realistic and fun. Examples apparently include Autocross, Car football (as seen on Top Gear, etc), and I’m sure there will be some proper Gymkhana stuff in there too.
- Then there’s the biggie… SIXTEEN PLAYER online multiplayer. I believe that’s what GT5 has currently, which can be nothing short of epic. Hopefully that’ll extend to offline modes too, because 8 car races leaves the grid a bit thin on the ground.
I’m also hoping for it to be a bit more ‘Motorsporty’. Forza and GT are great, but I think Codemasters’ GRiD did a better job of making you feel like you were living the life of a racing driver. Forza makes you feel like a very wealthy person with a fast car fetish, who goes racing at weekends when you’re not doing business deals in Hong Kong.
Anyway, I’m throwing my hat into the inevitable F1F Forza Motorsport 4 Championship due to start sometime in late October… anyone else?