Season 1: Team – Caterham, Difficulty – Legend, DC – 1st, CC – 2nd
2. Caterham – Promotion to Tier 3
3. Mercedes – Promotion to Tier 1
6. Lotus – Relegation to Tier 3
7. Toro Rosso – Promotion to Tier 2
9. Force India – Relegation to Tier 4
10. Red Bull – Relegation to Tier 2
Season 2: Team – Caterham, Difficulty – Proffesional*, DC – 1st, CC – 1st
1. Caterham – Promotion to Tier 2
4. Ferrari – Relegation to Tier 2
5. Sauber – Promotion to Tier 1
6. Toro Rosso
8. Lotus – Relegation to Tier 4
9. Marussia – Promotion to Tier 3
10. Red Bull – Relegation to Tier 3
11. Force India
Season 3: Team – Caterham, Difficulty – Legend, DC – 1st**, CC – 3rd**
Qualifying – 13th
I’ve never been strong in Australia and knew I’d struggle massively with the bug (AI car’s fully upgraded, mine in basic mode). Made through into Q2 with a lap on Primes after both Red Bull’s crashed out (I seriously have no idea how that happened… *whistles nonchalantly*) but couldn’t improve on 13th. I was quick in sector’s 1 & 2 but lost it all in 3, ah well. Double World Champion fails to make Q3 in Opening race… what a headline, especially when Heikki did, although he only managed 10th.
Race – 4th
Got a good start (as you always do compared to AI drivers) and moved into 4th. Spent the whole race defending from Alonso and losing ground to the McLaren’s and Schumacher ahead. Kovalainen had a poor race and finished outside the points in 11th.
1. Jenson Button (McLaren)
2. Michael Shumacher (Mercedes)
3. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
4. Bradley Downton (Caterham)
5. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
6. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso)
7. Pastor Maldonado (Williams)
8. Sergio Perez (Sauber)
9. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
10. Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)
11. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham)
Qualifying – 5th
Was hoping for a stronger showing in Malaysia seeing as I appear to be quicker. Made it through into Q2 with another Prime lap after both Red Bull’s crashed again (seriously, they have to stop that… *whistles nonchalantly).
My first lap in Q2 was good enough for 9th, but I was soon relegated to 13th (again) as Hamilton, Rosberg, Alonso and Pic improved their times. My final run was much improved and put me 9th, which thankfully no-one bettered.
With only one fresh set of tyres I decided to just do one run in the middle of the session. Stayed in the garage and so the AI driver’s first lap times weren’t hugely impressive (anyone else noticed that when you’re in the pits AI seems to go slower?) Went out and pulled the best lap out of the bag I could manage, putting me 5th just behind Heikki. Everyone else was just leaving the pits but the clock ran out as I was on my cool-down lap so I crossed the line to end the session and no-one else got a chance to improve, leaving me 5th.
Race – 1st
Got a mega start and was into 2nd even before turn 1. Drove around the outside of Schumacher to take the lead while Button slotted into 3rd from 8th. Heikki dropped to 8th, behind Pic, who’d gone from 11th to 7th. Schumacher tried to pass into the final hairpin on the opening lap but outbraked himself and let Button into 2nd.
Button tried to DRS me on lap 3/4 but just drove into the back of me and somehow span across the road, leaving me with a three second gap back to Kobayashi, who had also passed Schumacher after another mistake. I then saw Rosberg in second after he DRS’d Shumacher and Kobayashi in one move.
Pitted on lap 6 with a now measly 1.2 gap to Rosberg and was certain he’s take the lead as he continued for another lap, my worst nightmare. Thankfully I pulled just about enough out of the bag on my outlap to drive around the outside of him at turn one as he exited the pitlane on cold tyres. I then used all my KERS on the start finish straight as well as bumping it up to Rich fuel mixture every lap on the straight and braking late into turn 1 just to keep him behind with DRS. Managed to do so and held on for a brilliant win. Kovalainen just nicked 5th from Hamilton on the final lap having passed Pic in the pitstops, the Marussia found himself 11th at the end, unfortunately just missing out on points.
1. Bradley Downton (Caterham)
2. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
3. Michael Shumacher (Mercedes)
4. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber)
5. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham)
6. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
7. Sergio Perez (Sauber)
8. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
9. Jenson Button (McLaren)
10. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso)
1. Bradley Downton (Caterham) – 37
2. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) – 33
3. Jenson Button (McLaren) – 27
4. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) – 23
5. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) – 18
6. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) – 14
7. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) – 12
8. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham) – 10
9. Sergio Perez (Sauber) – 10
10. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) – 9
11. Pastor Maldonado (Williams) – 6
12. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) – 2
13. Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso) – 1
1. Mercedes – 51
2. McLaren – 50
3. Caterham – 47
4. Sauber – 22
5. Ferrari – 16
6. Toro Rosso – 10
7. Williams – 6
*I dropped the difficulty to Professional for season 2 because of the bug that means in season’s 2/3/4/5 everyone else starts with a fully upgraded car and you start with a base car. I was barely able to beat the bottom 6 cars in Australia on Legend so dropped it down for the season. I boosted it back up in season 3 as I now had a car in the top half of the field speed wise, despite still being at an upgrade disadvantage.
**Season Ongoing – Just completed Malaysia