Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1 Games

Public Group active 1 hour, 19 minutes ago

A place to discuss Codemasters’ F1 games, Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, rFactor, iRacing and everything else to do with virtual motorsport.

iRacing Thread

This topic contains 335 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of George George 22 hours, 2 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 336 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

What sort of cost would it take to start up? I have no pedals or wheel and don’t know the business model some info would be useful from someone on this thread and also what sort of amount time do you need free to be competitive?

George
    Participant

@carnivorouspope
    A wheel and pedals is really a must, the best starter option is the Logitech Driving Force GT (aka DFGT), Logitech wheels are well made so a secondhand one might be an option if you’re looking to spend as little as possible (not sure what these go for, I’d imagine ~£50-75).

The business model is subscription based – 12$ per month, although there’s usually a deal available, I got a year’s sub for 50$ on black Friday and there’s usually a 3-for-1 month deal for new accounts – with new cars costing 12$ and tracks 15$. It sounds like a lot but it gets cheaper the longer you stay. For starting up you get a pack of cars and tracks which correspond to the rookie series, you don’t need to buy any extra content to get a feel for the sim.

There are leagues and racing teams hosting their own series, but the main competition is in official series. These last for twelve weeks, going to a different track each week. The lower series usually try to keep a few free tracks and not rotate too many per season to reduce start-up cost.

Usually the first few days are dedicated to practicing the track, with Friday to Monday being the busy race days, although the more popular series have races through the week. How much time you need to dedicate to practice really depends on how quickly you can pick it up, I usually do 4-5 hours practice for an official week, but you’ll find your own level. Different series have different length races, lower license levels are usually around 20-25 minutes with higher classes going up to about an hour. Race sessions go live at a specific time, usually every hour or every other hour.

Uh…think that’s enough info to get you started, if you do choose to join it’ll hopefully make more sense. The cost can seem daunting to start with, but I really think it’s the closest you can get to real racing without strapping a helmet on.

Anonymous

I managed to pick up a wheel (dfgt) for £70 with P+P and got a year subscription for £30 as a %50 off deal was on. So hopefully in a couple of months I will be alright. Just wondering if I buy a car can I use it in races straight away?

George
    Participant

@carnivorouspope
    You’ll be able to use it in hosted sessions but not official unless you have the correct license.

Anonymous

how can I find out what cars I can drive at what license level?

George
    Participant

If you look under the series drop-down on the main page it shows all the official series, which license level they are and which cars they use.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I’ve just got my membership ! Doing my first steps in the Mazda.

Any tips for a beginner?

Fernando Morcillo is my name in game in case anyone wants to befriend :)

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Best tip to start is don’t worry about being fast in the first month. Learning consistency and accuracy to better your control will net much better results at the start. At least, if you’re a newcomer to sims :). But welcome! I usually race in the Lotus 49 anymore, but if you join any leagues with a broadcast, I’m lead commentator for GSRC.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I’m certainly enjoying it. I like the difficulty. It’s fantastic to try to build up confidence in such tricky cars to drive.

I’m not new to sims, but I’m new to this enviroment of being constantly controlled in case of mistakes. It’s so strictly regulated, and I love it. You don’t get that level of seriousness in any other racing sim.

George
    Participant

Sent a friend request. You’re doing a great job so far @fer-no65 , out of rookie already :D.

We’re on the last week of the rotation this week so it’s time to start thinking on which series you want to compete in next season. According to the forum they’re going to be mixing up some of the road series, here’s the thread http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3262489.page .

Fer no.65
    Participant

Yeah, I’m close to Class C now. Only need 2 more races/time trials. :P

Mind if I ask you something @george ? I played 2 races at Laguna Seca with the Legends Ford but none of them counted towards my MPR. Why? was it because it only had 3 people in the race both times? is there a minimum participants requirement for a race to count towards your MPR?

Cheers !

BTW, how do you chat on iracing?? I see your name online but cannot talk to you…

Fer no.65
    Participant

Aaaah wait, I see ! they changed it to Rookie Class, so that’s why I doesn’t add up… Damn, I’ll have to buy content !

George
    Participant

@fer-no65 For most series it needs 8 drivers to go official (be eligible for championship points), I’m not sure if this works for MPR too.

There is some chat functionality on the main page but it’s pretty crappy, I usually stick to forum PMs.

If you need any help deciding what to buy feel free to ask. Some series are more lively than others and some cars are easier to drive than others. I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to get to A-class, you would probably be better off starting in D-class while you learn the systems, B and A-class cars tend to need quite a lot of setup work and they’re not always shared freely. The D-class series usually try to use more free tracks in the schedule to keep costs down too.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@george

Yeah, I suppose I can keep myself in Class D. I won’t be part of any Class D races anyway until the end of the season, so whenever I want it or not, I’ll just have to stick with it.

I suppose it’s better to start buying tracks rather than cars. If I buy cars, I probably would have to buy tracks aswell because the calendar is full of tracks I don’t yet own.

BTW, I saw in your link. What is Week 13 exactly? I thought the series ran in a 12 week period.

Also, I see in that link that the series for next season are going to change. Is that always the case after every season? Do they publish the calendar (i.e. the tracks for each week) before the end of the week?

Cheers again ! very helpful !

George
    Participant

@fer-no65 Week 13 is just a gap between seasons, there’s usually a big patch and they run unofficial races using whatever new content they’re adding for the next season.

It’s definitely better to stick to one series to begin with for that reason, once you have most of the tracks it gets a lot cheaper but it’s a bit of a bitch starting out. I would say choose a series and buy the first few tracks on the schedule for the 10% or 20% discount and see how you like it.

They usually publish a PDF with the confirmed calendar towards the end of week 12 I think. I’ll link it when I see it.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 336 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.