F1 Games

iRacing Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

http://www.iracing.com I’d highly recommend it if you’ve never heard of it and are a racing sim fan. They have the FW31 and a number of F1 circuits (including Spa and Silverstone), so I’d say it counts as an F1 game :).

So, anyone else climbing the ranks? It’d always be nice to have more familiar faces to race against. I’ve been doing a lot of races in the Skip Barber and Spec Racer Ford.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

i havn’t renewed for a couple of months.. the FW31 any good?

Joey-Poey
    Participant

haven’t gotten bought the FW31 yet, so dunno. I’ve only been on since December, so I’m slowly working my way up, still.

Polishboy808
    Participant

FW31 is a lot of fun, but sadly the lack of F1 tracks is a bit boring :( And the online races always end up with cars crashing into eachother on purpose so it ruins some of the fun.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I imagine that depends on if you’re running the Formula Fun league or racing with the higher ups. I’ve only once come across someone intentionally wrecking someone in a race. Also, good news is they’re going to be scanning Sao Paulo soon! So that’s one more F1 track :)

Btw, I’m in there under Joseph Peak if you guys wanna look me up. I tend to race between 7 and midnight east coast time.

George
    Participant

I’m still considering whether to commit to iracing, I’ve been doing mazda cup races for a few weeks, 1746 rating at time of posting. Name is George Lambert if you want to check out my rubbish results :P

I cant say I’ve seen any intentional wrecking, mostly just new guys that aren’t racing savvy.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Well, the new season has started up. I’m glad to finally have the Skips back! And there’s a new track in their schedule: Spa! THAT is going to be a thrill.

George, I’ve got you added. I’ll probably be at Summit Point most of this week running the Skips races.

George
    Participant

Splashed out on skippy and the tracks for the series, might see you there :)

foocode
    Participant

I’m signing up for this tomorrow (plus Spa, too):

http://www.iracing.com/grand-prix-racing/

Looking forward to it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m wondering whether to dip my toe into this. Sounds interesting from the website, but would be great to have a run-down of what the structure of the game is actually like for people who play it. Anyone here got any info?

Is it possible to play with a control pad (I’d use the Xbox 360 one) or does it really need a wheel?

George
    Participant

I’m not sure it’s even compatible with a controller, I dont think I’ve ever heard of anyone using one. It’s a serious sim so if you’re a mario kart kind of racer I wouldn’t recommend it.

When you first start out most of the content is locked out until you obtain a D-class license, you do this by getting safety rating, which is basically what it sounds like. The other important rating is iRating, which influences the level of opposition, you gain more irating for beating other people with high irating, and lose more if you get beaten by people with low rating.

Races are split into series based on cars (some have 2 classes), with one track per week. Races and qualifying are at set times (rookie races are every hour).

That’s pretty much it for the basic intro, as I say it’s pretty intense, but if you’re really into sims it’s worth it for the high level of competition and relatively safe driving. It costs a bomb though.

George
    Participant

Oh and good races Joey, cant believe I span out right after I overtook you!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

ajokay: yeah you’ll definitely want a wheel. The game is pretty much a simulator aiming for as close to realism as possible with both the physics and the progression through various series. So even though there are some “for fun” series for the higher cars like NASCAR and F1, otherwise you work your way up by earning your license for more powerful cars. The other difference is you do have to pay monthly as well as buy any cars and tracks beyond the first set you start with. But it’s not like console games such as Forza, GT5 or F1 2010 where it’s a crap-shoot on whether you’ll be up against trolls or people trying to ruin others fun. Everyone’s there to race fair and enjoy close competition. So IMO the money is not only worth the cars you get to drive on real tracks, but for the community you get to race against.

The premise is essentially this: you begin with a set of tracks and cars and with your Rookie license. This allows you to drive the Miatas (for road courses) and Legends Coupes (for ovals). You advance and earn new licenses by improving your safety rating. Race clean and finish well and your rating goes up. When it reaches a certain point, you advance to the next license and open up access to more series. The cars and tracks you get in the introduction package honestly could keep you racing without getting bored for quite a few months, so it’s not like you’ll find yourself feeling a need to spend the money on a new car constantly. Races in the lowest series are once every hour so there’s constantly races getting ready to start. The next 2 series up tend to be every other hour.

The idea behind it all is to teach you real life racing skills that are applicable if you ever get behind the wheel of a real race car (which is definitely doable in many of the lower series like the SCCA and such). And you’re rarely swamped or leaving everyone in the dust because you’re pitted in heats against racers with similar ratings. Racing is usually VERY close and I have yet to have a race where I didn’t wind up fighting someone for position on track at some point.

If you’re a casual racer, I’d say it’s probably not for you. But if you’re very much into sims being as true to life as possible, this is by far the most addicting one I’ve tried.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

George: I had 3 races in a row where I had 360 spins I recovered from, so I feel ya. Twice they were in front of the same guy X).

You’re obviously faster than me in the skip, though.

foocode
    Participant

I spent about AU$190 on the game, that included the Grand Prix pack (yearly sub + Williams + a couple of tracks):

http://www.iracing.com/grand-prix-racing/

I also bought the extra tracks that I’d need to join most series.

Had a fair bit of track time last night in the FW31 at Glen Watkins, I thought it was generally good or at the very least consistent. I think the curbs physics are a bit ridiculous though… It’s like they’ve forgotten there are 3 other wheels providing grip for the car. Otherwise, avoiding the edges is a good way to go.

I’m yet to join a race as I’m yet to spend more than one lap in a row on track. I wasn’t this bad in my rFactor league days!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.