F1 Games

Race Driver: GRiD 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems as if Codemasters are not too far from releasing the sequal to 2008’s Race Driver: GRiD, the game that has it roots in the excellent ToCA Touring Car games from the late 1990’s

They released a teaser trailer on YouTube at the beginning of the weekend just gone, apparently pointing to a full-blown trailer coming in a couple of days (August 8th):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyIADo_iZI

Here’s hoping it’s going to be as good as the first game, which I was wary of at first, haivng played the demo expecting a decent touring car semi-simulator, but getting a full-blown arcade racer with ‘Touge’ and drifting events. But once I accepted it for what it was (and got it on sale for a tenner), it’s a proper good game with touring cars, GT racing, demo derby and single seaters… even Le Mans with a full day/night cycle

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The also released a teaser poster that is a blatant rip-off of the posters for The Dark Knight Rises.

matt90
    Participant

I always meant to buy the original but never got round to it, so I’m looking forward to this, even if I do wait until I can get it much cheaper.

Slr
    Participant

I cannot wait for this game. Race Driver Grid was one of the most fun games I have ever played, a sequel has been long overdue.

Lin1876
    Participant

Despite its lack of realism, I really enjoyed the first game so I’m hoping for more of the same this time around. I’ve personally grown a bit bored of the Dirt games after the first couple, so it’ll be good to go back to the Race Driver series.

I just hope the game’s more focused this time round. I’m not to fussed about F3 cars, etc unless they’re done properly. It was the major weakness of the original Grid, so hopefully they’ve fixed that.

pimbers4955
    Participant

I really enjoyed the first game to begin with, but once I got better and more used to it, I found myself deliberately spinning or slowing down just so that I could overtake some of the cars again, and that was on the hardest possible difficulty! I just hope that this one addresses that, and makes the other drivers a bit more feisty rather than just giving up positions

pimbers4955
    Participant

I really enjoyed the first game to begin with, but once I got better and more used to it, I found myself deliberately spinning or slowing down just so that I could overtake some of the cars again, and that was on the hardest possible difficulty! I just hope that this one addresses that, and makes the other drivers a bit more feisty rather than just giving up positions

bag0
    Participant

As far as GRID goes, I loved it, that was the first game for me where I could use the instant replay function to learn the tracks, to see where did I make a mistake, then rewind and try the corner again. Also it was a great idea to bring so many series into one game, my favourites were the drifting and the touring cars, but all of them was pretty good, though a bit unrealistic. I really cant wait to try the new one.

@pimbers4955
    I have the same problem with the F1 series, after driving more than 10.000 Km in the game, I have found the right setups for every track, and I have to put on primes in qualy, to give the legend AIs a chance, if I only qualify in the first two rows, I get them in the first corner. I just hope, they have developed better AIs for both of the new games.

DamionShadows
    Participant

FINALLY!! I have been waiting for this game for years! Personally, I rank GRID up there with Forza 4 and Gran Turismo 4, so i’m stoked to hear the news. I just hope they have more LMP cars this time around :D

Dan8
    Participant

I wonder why Codemasters have almost copied The Dark Knight Rises posters? Unless they’re planning on including the Batmobile in the game!

More on it here:

But there is a happy middle ground between simulation and arcade racing – the one occupied for years by the graceful power slides of the sadly departed Project Gotham Racing. Codemasters made a stab for it with 2008’s Race Driver: Grid, a lively, grippy and credible motorsport fantasy that won as many fans with its dramatic intensity and trailblazing features (including the first appearance of a rewind button in a racer) as it alienated with its departure from the real-world circuit racing of its TOCA lineage.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-grid-2-preview-no-assists-please-were-british

I’m definitely in the “alienated” camp. And I thought Project Gotham Racing was complete rubbish. It didn’t lie in “a happy middle ground between simulation and arcade racing”, it was total fantasy.

TOCA 2 remains my favourite game from this series. I really liked what Codemasters tried to achieve with the earlier Race Driver games, trying to incorporate lots of international racing series, but I don’t think they ever got it quite right. Still I wish they’d persevered with that instead of making yet another game where you bounce off the walls in an unconvincing city track driving a Mercedes SLS AMG.

Lin1876
    Participant

As a fan of the first GRID, I always felt it would benefit from a gentle nudge towards simulation. Nothing hardcore, but a less twitchy model like PGR (sorry Keith, but I loved that game). Sadly, they’ve decided to make it a full-blown arcade racer, and the lack of an in-car view is a deal breaker before anything else.

Sorry Codemasters, you’ve blown it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

THe only mode I ever play in GRiD any more is the Demo Derby (because, really, thats all the game’s physics are good for). This has been left out of this incarnation. It looks a little interesting, but with my interest firmly in simulation games, another weird half-way house might not cut it.

Thankfully I discovered SimBin’s RACE series last week (the official WTCC game). Currently racing Minis in my own one-make championship season I devised over the weekend. brilliant, it is!

pimbers4955
    Participant

I really don’t know who codemasters were asking when they decided that no one uses the in-car view. I’m forever using it on GT5 just for the extra realism factor. Okay, in the first GRID I didn’t really use it, but that was just because it had a fairly narrow view and the camera seemed to move too much, but it still added some extra interest in watching the driver and seeing how it would be in a real(ish) race. Can’t help but feel they’ve messed up here

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

@ajokay

In case you haven’t stumbled across it yet, I’m going to point you towards us at RaceDepartment, the mini races in particular are a lot of fun and (usually) have very gentlemanly driving standards.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/mini-friday-mondello-intermediate-friday-august-10th-2012.54010/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.