F1 Games

Vector Racetrack Game

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Estesark
    Participant

I’ve just started studying mathematics at the University of Helsinki, where one of the compulsory first-period courses is called Linear Algebra and Matrix Calculation. It deals with, amongst other things, vectors, and that is what leads me on to this game.

In the racetrack game, you attempt to complete one lap of a track on squared paper using vector movement. There is an important restriction, however: you can only accelerate or decelerate by one square per direction (X and Y) per turn. So if your first move is one up and one right, your next move can be either 0, 1 or 2 right, and either 0, 1 or 2 up. If you decide to move (2,2), then even if you decelerate on the next turn, you will still be forced to move up and right by one square. That gives the game a cursory connection to real life physics; if you’ve been accelerating too fast down a straight, for example, you might not be able to make the turn at the end of it.

If that explanation wasn’t detailed enough for you, check out the game’s Wikipedia page.

The game has an online version, which I am sharing on this forum because it contains a number of past and present F1 tracks :) You can try your hand against AI or other players at Monaco, Zandvoort, Bahrain, Hockenheim, Spa, Interlagos and Monza. You might want to start off with one of the simpler tracks if you are new to the game, though, as it’s more difficult than it appears! Once you’re really up to speed, you can create your own track and import it into the game.

Have a go and tell me what you think! There’s no online multiplayer version, sadly, but we can share our track records here :)

graham228221
    Participant

This is… surprisingly addictive!

I haven’t studied enough maths to do it myself, but I’m sure there must be a clever way to work out the fastest way around a track?

Estesark
    Participant

There is an optimal path for each track, but I’m not sure how one would work it out, short of using an algorithm to go through lots of different possibilities.

bag0
    Participant

This is an amazig game, It could have made me like Linear Algebra better. Strangely I hated it and Calculus too, but I loved Operations Research which is a bit of a mixture of the two.

There is an optimal path for each track, but I’m not sure how one would work it out, short of using an algorithm to go through lots of different possibilities.

I would start by selecting the points that my “car” should go throught, then calculate the optimal order of “steps” to do so.

Estesark
    Participant

I would start by selecting the points that my “car” should go throught, then calculate the optimal order of “steps” to do so.

And how would you determine what those points are?

I got the joint second best time at Monza (I wrote F1Fanatic as my “clan” on the list so you can see it). I think I was just one move away from the ultimate lap, but it’s hard to spot where that is.

bag0
    Participant

Starting with T1, you can determine the correct spot for turning, as you can see a corners apex. When your car is at that point in T1 you already made some steps that are limiting your next moves, so you look for your point in T2, than plan your moves to get there, and so on.

matt90
    Participant

I hate you for showing me this- I have wasted my evening!

Estesark
    Participant

I had a track I made – Silverstone – accepted into the game, so go try it :) I notice a “SouthAussie94” from this website also submitted a couple of tracks, including Adelaide – good work!

Fer no.65
    Participant

Oh – my – god… now i know i’ll waste my day

SouthAussie94
    Participant

@estesark SouthAussie94 would be me.. :)

I’ve made a version of Bathurst as well, just waiting for it to be accepted into the game. I’ll give your Silverstone a go :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure if I should be grateful or hate you for this. I’m addicted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Monaco seems to be my best track. My best time so far is 75.907, good enough for eleventh.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Monaco – 73.907 – 4th

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joint 47th at Bahrain. It’s a frustrating track for me, still getting used to the braking points for all the slow corners.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.