F1

17 Years Ago but Never Forgotten

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to take a moment to think about Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna who passed away this weekend, 17 years ago, during that fatal weekend of the San Marino GP.

Rest in Peace

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Strangely, today is Sunday May the 1st also… Not sure when the last time May 1st was on a Sunday…

Icthyes
    Participant

I would guess it happens every 6 years, maybe 5 depending on how many leap years lie between.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just read this on Wikipedia:

Professor Sid Watkins, then head of the Formula One on-track medical team, recalled in his memoirs Ayrton Senna’s reaction to the news [of Ratzenberger’s death], stating that “Ayrton broke down and cried on my shoulder.” Watkins tried to persuade Senna not to race the following day, asking “What else do you need to do? You have been world champion three times, you are obviously the quickest driver. Give it up and let’s go fishing,” but Ayrton was insistent, saying, “Sid, there are certain things over which we have no control. I cannot quit, I have to go on.”

and this makes Senna’s death even more sad in my eyes.

Roland and Ayrton RIP.

paulgilb
    Participant

1st May fell on a Sunday in 2005, 1994, 1988, 1983, and repeating in 28-year cycles back to 1900 (which wasn’t a leap year, thus breaking the pattern).

Curiously, there was also a San Marino GP on 1/5/88, which was won by a certain A Senna.

S.J.M
    Participant

I told my brother yesterday that today and yesterday would have been 17th anniversery of their deaths and we both can remember clearly that fatefull weekend dispite only having been 9 at the time and how its still shocking to think that it was on TV and was viewed by millions, strangly we was talking about this whilst ESPN had the ’73 season review on, and the Dutch GP came on, in which Rodger Williamson was killed and the program showed that footage, (my brother had never seen that before). I mention this as we (me & my brother) that some things we take for granted these days with Car, Track and driver saftey with alert marshalls and saftey crews who are there to ensure noone has to be victim to those circumstances.

Yet, all deaths in racing are so sad and tradgic, be it Sennas & Ratenbergers or those pioneers of motor racing way back. Sadly motorsport is littered with deaths of people who are there purley on circumstances, such as Mike Spence dying at the Indy 500 replacing Jackie Stewart who originally was to drive, or Jochen Rindt driving the 72 that he died in because Emerson Fittipaldi binned the original car earlier on. Theres many, too many, examples of this through the past 80years.

RIP Roland, Ayrton and those before. If we go another 17 years (and beyond) without anyone elses name added to the list, then id feel that some good has come from their passing, although at too great a cost.

wasiF1
    Participant

Many years back I guess (2001 or 2002) when I was a average F1 fan I saw a documentary on National Geographic Channel on Senna’s incident of 1994 back then I was too sure who he was & what he was. But it was around 2005 & mostly in 2007 I realize who he really is. He was the force who could pull the whole nation behind him.After his death many good chances came in F1 that prevented things such like that. He died to save many F1 stars of today. RIP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.