F1

1976 Niki Lauda AGV Helmet // Seeking Historical Information:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alan Hardy
    Participant

1976 Niki Lauda AGV Helmet

Seeking Historical Information:

This Niki Lauda AGV F1 helmet was given to me by the senior legal & testing staff at Bell Helmets. In the early to mid 1990’s I was an industrial designer with Bell Helmets. During my early time with Bell the senior staff members came to understand Niki Lauda was a childhood hero of mine. The helmet was a birthday gift during my second year, of six+, with the company.

What we do know about this helmet:

Niki Lauda submitted at least two of his AGV helmets to Bell for testing and evaluation upon signing with Bell Helmets for the 1977 season. My understanding is that one of the two helmets was destroyed during impact testing in the Bell Helmets test facility.

We understand this helmet was used by Niki during on track testing. We are not sure if the helmet was used in competition.

Questions:

1) In the mid 1970’s how many helmets did F1 drivers typically use during the course of a season barring incident or damage?

2) Would there be any tech inspection markings on helmets used in competition during this era?

3) Are there any other ways to determine when this particular helmet may have been used in on track testing or competition?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Google Photos of 1976 Niki Lauda Helmet

Stan
    Participant

this type of helmet was pictured at least during 1976 Nürburgring GP practice
    however with some different decals

helmet

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.