• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 43 minutes ago

F1 discussion

2012 Race of Champions with Vettel and Schumacher

This topic contains 55 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

@catracho504 That said, Heikki also won in 2004… and where is he now…?

Three F1 champions have participated here: Vettel, Schumacher, and Button. They’ve won a grand total of 0 ROCs. Tom Kristensen has been runner-up for the past 2 years, but couldn’t close it out both times. I think it says a lot about the event that, more often than not, it’s a random guy that ends up winning.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@joey-zyla
    Remember Webber calling Grosjean a “nutcase”?

@journeyer
    Dude, I just said that i found it hillarious because Vettel is the “3 times WDC” and yet he got his tush handed to him…. it´s hillarious because even in an event like ROC, the kid can´t take the pressure…. some “champ” he is… seems more like a chump…. :/

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@catracho504 I guess “7 times WDC” Schumacher also “got his tush handed to him” in this all-important ROC, huh? Too bad he can’t take the pressure, either! “Hillarious”!

After all, as we all know, the outcome of these time trials in assorted vehicles on a little indoor track is definitely the best indicator of racing ability, as well as ability to handle pressure. I’m still waiting for Filipe Albuquerque to be offered the F1 race seat of his choice on the basis of his win in 2010.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

ROC is only a ‘bit of fun’ and it doesn’t really mean anything. Some drivers are better with some cars than others and not all the drivers can cope with constantly switching cars. Grosjean was actually slightly advantaged by having the X-Bow for the semi final and then for the second heat in the final.

The Gallardo didn’t make many appearances and if I remember correctly, after Andy Priaulx spectacularly binned one on Sunday I don’t think it was raced again?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@aka_robyn

Schumacher also “got his tush handed to him” in this all-important ROC, huh?

Well sir…. Schumacher is 43 y/o, considered to not have had what it took for his 3 years in Mercedes, yet he took out the current “3 times WDC”…. What I find Hillarious is that a “nobody” took both of them out…

After all, as we all know, the outcome of these time trials in assorted vehicles on a little indoor track is definitely the best indicator of racing ability, as well as ability to handle pressure

I know there is sarcasm to this comment and so I will answer this… If you reach the pinnacle of motorsports, it´s because you are the best at what you do…. If you take a race like ROC like a joke, then you really shouldn´t participate because it puts you up against the best in other motorsports disciplines AND the added pressure to compete against a clock… So if you just drive around and not give it your all, then where is your competitive spirit?? Schumacher obviously has it since he made it to the semis…. He didn´t get knocked out earlier….

You might think it does not take skill to race in ROC, so I guess you could do it too…. it´s just games anyways.

And there is something that you fail to see… you have to be good behind the wheel to dominate EVERY type of car… That´s what makes a driver, a champion… and most importantly if you make it to the pinnacle of motorsports… So you say it´s not a good way to measure abilities?? Well I say you´re wrong because not only do you have to compete against someone else… you have to beat the clock, beat the car handed to you, be able to take the pressure, etc… so yeah, I guess you´re right… it´s not important… it´s just your reputation as a champion/former champion/ competitor in a discipline that is at stakes… You are very right indeed sir!

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@catracho504

Schumacher obviously has it since he made it to the semis…. He didn´t get knocked out earlier….

They were knocked out by the same person. It doesn’t where you lost – it matters who you lost against.

If you had Federer going against Djokovic as the first match of Wimbledon, and Djokovic was knocked out then – does that make him any less a tennis player than the guy who made it to the finals, and THEN was beat by Federer? Your comment makes no sense.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

@catracho504 – I don’t claim to know much about the Race of Champions, but I find it odd how you overlook Vettel and Schumacher’s victory in the ROC Nations Cup, their 6th consecutive win since 2007. (Indeed, they beat Grosjean’s Team France in the finals.) Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s held in a similar format to the individual events – a time trial. Surely this counts for something?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@catracho504 All is actually shows is that for those particular laps (and it was single lap elimination for that stage of the event), Grosjean managed not to make an error. Vettel did make an error. One error and you were out. Are you arguing that in order to be considered a “champion,” you have to never make an error under any circumstances? Because that’s what often makes the difference between someone who wins the ROC and someone who gets eliminated: one error on one lap. Even the almighty Fernando Alonso has been known to make a mistake from time to time. If you can’t agree that it could happen to any driver, I don’t think we need to have any further discussion. In fact, I’m not sure why I entered this discussion in the first place. You’ve made it pretty clear that the only reason you come to this site is to insult Vettel. And here I am, giving you further opportunity!

Also, stop calling me “sir.” I’m female.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@aka_robyn
    Sorry about that Miss, I didn´t know you where a female… Just to make it clear… my goal is not to insult Vettel… that would be too simple… It´s just that I find it funny that whenever he´s in Q3 he always does the closing of the eyes… the “focusing” and out he pulls a cracker of a lap…. funny he can´t do it when he´s not in his Newey-mobile… I guess he just can´t take pressure when he´s not in a far superior car…. just saying….

@bobthevulcan

I don’t claim to know much about the Race of Champions, but I find it odd how you overlook Vettel and Schumacher’s victory in the ROC Nations Cup, their 6th consecutive win since 2007. (Indeed, they beat Grosjean’s Team France in the finals.) Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s held in a similar format to the individual events – a time trial. Surely this counts for something?

I have not overlooked that… and the fact is that I give full credit to Schumi. Of course it counts… it was a good win but like I said, I give more credit to Schumi since individually, he beat SV. Simple as that.

@raymondu999

They were knocked out by the same person. It doesn’t where you lost – it matters who you lost against.

My point exactly sir! They lost to a “nutcase”!! Grosjean got a lot of flack this season, and I agree he deserved it… but it just shows that he is good and he needs to improve because he does have the speed…. at least enough of it to take out 10 WDC put together…. Oh and BTW, I really do feel it matter where you get knocked out…. I´m not gonna use tennis for this but football…. let´s say England gets knocked out in the group stage of the world cup…. does it matter? OF COURSE IT DOES!!! And what if the team that knocked them out didn´t win the world cup, does it matter? I guess not… but at least they took England out in the group stage and made it further than they did.. that just means the other team was a bit better! ;)

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@catracho504 They lost to someone who, in ROC terms, is not a nutcase – because his nutcase nature was crashing into other cars. Of which there are none in ROC (there’s a wall separating you). Grosjean always has had the speed – as he showed when, plopped in a dog without testing in 2009 (the Renault) he was only 1 tenth away from Alonso in his first ever qualifying session (Q1 Valencia).

Schumi didn’t beat SV in the individual ROC event. Both were beaten by Grosjean. Schumi could have beaten Vettel, Vettel could have beaten Schumi. We have no info to go either way.

And what if the team that knocked them out didn´t win the world cup, does it matter?

This statement is useless, because in this case – the guy did win the “world cup” – the ROC cup, in this case. Let’s not forget that Button, Vettel, Schumacher and Alonso have all competed in the ROC – and none have ever won the drivers’ cup.

you have to be good behind the wheel to dominate EVERY type of car… That´s what makes a driver, a champion… and most importantly if you make it to the pinnacle of motorsports

There are drivers who are rubbish in ROC cars but excellent in F1 cars. There are those who are excellent in ROC cars but rubbish in F1 cars. There are those who are excellent/rubbish in both.

The ROC is a good measure of how good the drivers drive ROC cars. They are a rubbish measure of how good the drivers drive anything else. Sadly not a lot of people realise that.

Here’s a stat for you – none of the current 6 F1 champions have a 100% record of beating their teammates. They’ve all been beat by teammates at some point in their careers. I for one don’t think that means they’re any less a champion.

I don’t know if you’re being thick on purpose – or just unintentionally thick.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@catracho504 I do, I was just making sure you weren’t actually calling Romain a nutcase. :P

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.