F1

How drivers changed position in the championship

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Iestyn Davies 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

@fastiesty

Try telling Toyota that you can’t fail when you spend loads more than everyone else :p

Dion
    Participant

@juan-pablo-heidfeld-1 Does that make Lotus anti-Toyota?

Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

@infinitygc

I guess it does!

@kingshark @mnmracer RedBull has had the “average best” throughout all the season, it’s only that everybody is to used to seeing them as the top notch than when they are 2nd best in a specific track, many of us tought “This is finally a bad season for Red Bull”. But if you see Vettel won every 2 races (almost perfectly one yes and one not) you can see the car was not really one to struggle. At the first half it looked like the challenge to Red Bull was closer (and sometimes ahead) than previous years. They established as a “total team”with the setback of the tyres in England. But I repeat, it isn’t as if they had a dog of a car in the 1st half.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@hamilfan The telltale sign for the tea tray is the hold that holds it to the chassis, under where the driver’s legs go. On SomersF1’s site, there is a video of the pit stop WR by Webber/RB pit crew. As the car is dropped, the hold bends. It’s rumoured that this bending allows the tea tray to bend up and hence the lower ride height can come into play.

@omarr-pepper @kingshark I can agree with that as well. I’m just too lazy to look back between all the races and can’t remember in such a fine detail. But Ferrari took it to RB first, then Mercedes, now Lotus, after recovering from a mid-season slump. It took Mercedes a while to work out how to actually race their car, and not just try and eek out a qualifying car to the finish on a delta lap time (utterly disastrous for Hamilton in Spain. Maybe he should have done an attacking 4 stop). But RB has been best on average, even without being able to put down all its downforce capabilities. For Alonso to have a chance at the title on the 2013 tyres, he would have needed Vettel to have a second bad race/retirement, which in itself is hard to imagine happening. This is after the mistakes in Malaysia and Bahrain set him back from leading the championship (which he should have done after Spain to be fair). For once, Ferrari were too aggressive/just plain unlucky in those two races.

@juan-pablo-heidfeld-1 Hah, I can agree with that, and I don’t know about any budgetary figures pre-spending cuts. But there were rumours of absolutely huge budgets. Toyota did have some successful seasons, 2005, 2008/9 – If they weren’t set to quit, I’m sure they would have kept up in 2009 with the pace of development. They were unlucky not to win in Australia, still podiuming from the pit lane. Also Trulli was on pole in Indy 2005. In 2010, I’m sure they would have had Trulli and Kobayashi as their line up, along with a competitive car. Glock could have then taken Kobayashi’s place at Sauber.

To be fair, Toyota is the last team to be set up from scratch that has done really well. The current two are struggling to keep up in a spending war, while Toyota and now RB have led the way.

1997 – Stewart – Jaguar – Red Bull
    1998 – BAR for Tyrrell, into Honda, Brawn and now Mercedes
    2002 – Toyota (defunct 2010)
    2006 – Super Aguri (Honda 2nd team, defunct 2008)
    2010 – Caterham, Marussia and HRT (defunct 2013)

So it could also be said that at current the two teams with the newest infrastructure are leading the way. Of course, McLaren and Ferrari are building new HQs to keep up, and the midfield teams are all roughly from the 80s/90s, with Williams dating to the late 70s (can’t remember if/when they moved to Grove).

With Caterham and Marussia replacing the lost Arrows and Prost/Ligier teams, we’re basically back where we were just before Toyota entered the sport, around 2000, with Williams and Red Bull having swapped places in rough running order. It would be nice to have another team, in place of HRT, akin to Toyota, but it looks like we are just going to see Honda enter as an engine manufacturer, and if Renault rejoins F1, they will simply re-buyout Lotus.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.