• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 27 minutes ago

F1 discussion

2014 cars to be 5 seconds slower?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of raymondu999 raymondu999 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Roald
    Participant

@JamieFranklinF1 I don’t, but it’s only logical isn’t it? Next year’s cars will be pretty much the same as the current cars are, just with smaller (and less) wings and increased weight. Not to mention they’ll have lower noses too, meaning less airflow underneath, meaning less downforce as well. Of course it’s only speculation, that’s why I said I THINK you people are wrong. I’m making assumptions, but so do the people who claim they’ll regain the lost lap-time.

Cornering speeds are higher than they were in the early 21st century because of the increased front-end grip and slick tyres, while straight line speed went down because of the V8 engines that have replaced the V10 engines. Overall the cars are slower nowadays, but there’s certain tracks that are less reliant on horse power where lap records have been broken in the past few years (with the help of the exhaust blown diffuser for instance!). From 2014 on we’ll have round and about the same power output as the V8 engines just with less cornering speed.

While I look forward to the changes, I’m still worried the cars will be too slow.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

@Roald – The logical thing would be to realise how ingenious these designers can be. It’s plausible that they will be slower, due to having to run less/smaller wings, and of course the increased weight will have an effect, but it will only lead the aero engineers to other areas of the car. Don’t forget that they have run with smaller wings before, and they will do everything they can to find it.
    Since 2009 we’ve had far more emphasis on exhausts than we did pre-2009, and I’m sure that if that area can’t be pushed further any more, then they will find something else. These are some of the best engineers in the world, and it’s their job to make these cars as fast as possible, and that is why I have faith that they will do so.

Yes, it’s possible they will be slower, but five seconds is a hell of a lot. Take China for example. The fastest lap recorded there is a 1:32.268. Vettel at the last race was able to do a 1:36.808. So, even after the FIA has attempted to make these cars slower, not to mention the Pirelli tyres, which wouldn’t have been the best during that race, it still isn’t 5 seconds slower, after 9 years of ‘slowing them down’.

Kevin Campos
    Participant

I don’t mind the V6 engines too much but I the increased weight is just pointless. I understand the ERS will be a bit heavy but the current minimum weight is heavy enough to compensate for it. Wouldn’t decreasing the minimum weight be a win-win for everyone? The FIA can have their fuel efficient engines and cost cutting aero restrictions, while fans can have faster lap times.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

@KCampos12 – I definitely agree with you there. They should reduce the weight, which would enable faster lap times, and also would probably make fuel more efficient as well. The engineers would then be tasked with tightly packaging things even further, which would add a new level, and I don’t see how it could be negative to be honest.

Roald
    Participant

@JamieFranklinF1 You’re completely ignoring everything I said, when the rules changed in 2009 the teams were gives a much more complicated and much wider front wing to compensate for the loss of downforce from bodywork and rear wing. On top of that, slicks were reintroduced. This time around, there’s no compensation, just a whole lot less bodywork that produces downforce. Don’t underestimate the disappearance of the beamwing either, it’ll be costly. Regarding China, sorry, but that’s a terrible example if your point is that FIA didn’t succeed in slowing down the cars 5 seconds a lap. No, they’re 4 seconds and 6 tenths slower, that’s exactly what I said. They’ll find tenths, not seconds. Besides, I don’t think it’s FIA’s intention to make the cars as slow as they’ll probably be next year, I think they’ve made a mistake when the initial plans for the return of ground-effect cars were dismissed by the teams. Of course the best engineers in the world are in Formula 1, and of course they’ll do everything they can “to make the cars as fast as possible”. But “as fast as possible” will still be several seconds slower than the current generation is if I´m right.

@kcampos12 Wholeheartedly agree. Another mistake in my opinion. Seriously, there’s no need for a Formula 1 car to weigh THAT much. As of 2013 cars may weigh no less than 642 kilo including the driver, excluding the fuel. I think it was Lotus that stated a Formula 1 car without ballast weighs no more than 440 kilo. So we´ll see an increase to 660 kilo next year, considering Indycars weigh 710 that´s waaaaay too much in my opinion. To think the minimum weight was 605 kilo as recently as 2009!

Roald
    Participant

Here´s an interesting image of what F1 cars will look like next year and what changes on the surface: http://topsportracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/F1-2014.jpg

Kevin Campos
    Participant

@jamiefranklinf1 Me either. It’s a shame whoever makes these decisions doesn’t think the way we do. I would love to see an F1 car as lightweight as it could possibly be. Hopefully in the future the weight will be reduced

George
    Participant

Well considering they had to increase the weight this year to compensate for the new tyres, there cant be that much leeway now.

Ash

You gotta be kidding me, 5 seconds slower??? Wel if that’s true then we can safely say that F1 will not be the sport with the quickest cars in the world…

matt90
    Participant

@zodman Which cars are you expecting to be faster?

Zantkiller
    Participant

So?
    You will never notice that when watching a race.
    The whole field could be HRT’s painted differently and you will never notice the difference in speed when watching it.
    The only reason you notice a difference is because you are comparing lap times.

All that matters is the difference between the cars on the grid and how small we can get that difference to be.

Roald
    Participant

@zantkiller You must be blind if you can’t visually see the difference in speed between a lap driven in 2004/2005 and one in 2012/2013.

Nick
    Participant

I think blind would be an overstatement. It’s possible to see and I typically noticed it when Schumacher returned in 2010, comparing his on-board laps to 2004 on-boards, but as far as the excitement of the races and qualifying is concerned, I must agree that I barely notice the difference when watching.

Every time we’ve had rules that slowed down the cars, like grooved tyres, the switch to V8s, the 2009 wing changes, we’ve gotten used to the new rules, lap times and the teams found ways to improve their times. I’m not too worried about the 2014 changes.

Zantkiller
    Participant

@roald That is a near 10 year difference and a whole different era. I was talking about a few years difference.

What I was trying to point out is that the important things is that as long as they are F1 cars and are close to each other in terms of speed then I don’t care if they are a few tiny seconds slower than a previous year.

I just don’t care that they are not going as fast as the 2004 cars.

Roald
    Participant

@zantkiller What I’m trying to point out is that being a few seconds a lap slower can easily be seen with the naked eye.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.