• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 7 hours, 59 minutes ago

F1 discussion

2014 cars to be 5 seconds slower?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raymondu999 raymondu999 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rob lomas
    rob lomas
    Participant

I’m still not convinced abut this. I say bring back v10’s but with low boost turbos to make for interesting handeling but the pinicle of world Motorsport being slower than the main feeder series is bang out of order IMO to the extent that I may stop watching the sport

Profile photo of JayGeeWales
    JayGeeWales
    Participant

I may be being naive but isn’t it just a PR exercise for the benefit of the non F1 loving sport fan who has only just realised that F1 exists! It is about appeasing the green issue and I fully expect Adrian Newey will find a way to eek out performance from a mediocre engine proposition.

Profile photo of fangio85
    fangio85
    Participant

The new regs would be perfect if they allowed ground effect producing floors, even if the floors shapes were strictly controlled by the fia. The rear wing max size could be reduced to about what we see at monza, which would mean the whole car creates less turbulence, the cars could race much closer without ruining their tyres, and they could get rid of drs for overtaking, or even use the drs flap as a safety system, have it always open, as the floor would produce most of the downforce, and then have something to measure the space under the car, if the car gets some air over a nasty curb, breaking the under car seal, and losing precious ground effect downforce, the drs flap could automatically close to help prevent sudden airborne missiles. Just a thought

Profile photo of rob lomas
    rob lomas
    Participant

@fangio85 that would be amazing if FIA let it happen

Profile photo of fangio85
    fangio85
    Participant

@rob, yea it’ll never happen but we can dream lol

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The original 2014 regulations called for ground effects. However, the teams rejected the idea. They felt that with the new engine formula – particularly the integration of KERS into the unit and the introduction of TERS as a supplementary power source – the 2014 regulations were already very complex, and adding ground effects would be an unnecessary complication.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

Yes, return of ground-effect was originally planned by FIA but the teams rejected the idea. Partially because of what Prisoner Monkeys said, partially because it’s impossible to see what other teams are up to underneath the car, allowing a team that finds a huge advantage to run away with it. At least now aerodynamic parts can usually be seen and copied by other teams if the idea turns out to be succesful, which would become quite hard with ground-effect cars. Would have been the answer for closer racing and less problems following other cars meaning less grip because of dirty air. We might have even seen cars with no front wings at all like the mid eighties! Didn’t Piquet once say the car the drove had a rear wing for the sole purpose of lifting the back of the car slightly making it more drivable because of the enormous amount of downforce the ground-effect created? I was really disappointed when teams turned down the idea, THAT would have been a revolution in the sport. Besides, it’s 2013, not the mid eighties anymore – safety measures have come a long way and it could have been implemented in a safe way.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think the engines will grow somewhere down the road – in the future.

Besides, it was as early as the ’60s when a certain Australian complained about the engines that were then current.

Yes, we’re not really talking about the engines, but if the engines eventually grew bigger again after that, then why won’t F1 cars speed up again a few years from now?

For now, though, most of the commenters here are probably right.

Profile photo of Ash
    Ash

I guess the Merc engine powered cars will be fastest

Profile photo of tonyyeb
    tonyyeb
    Participant

Sorry if I’m missing something here but all this talk of changes to the 2014 regulations in terms of aerodynamics but wasn’t this all changed in the FIA meeting 5th December 2012 http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-2012 stating:
    “Changes made to bodywork design, originally aimed at reducing downforce and drag for increased efficiency, have reverted to 2012 specification.” So doesn’t this just mean that we will have very similar cars (with lower noses) and V6 1.6 Turbo Engines with more powerful TERS than KERS?

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@tonyyeb – Yes, but people arw claiming that the cars will be five seconds per lap slower because the 2014 engines will be down on power.

Profile photo of tonyyeb
    tonyyeb
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Oh yeah I get that was the point of the thread but @roald was saying that he thinks that a major contributor to the slow lap time was the removal of the rear beam and narrowing of the front wing etc?

Profile photo of mantresx
    mantresx
    Participant

How about this: If the cars do end up being 5 seconds slower, the FIA could reintroduce active suspension it’s a very simple system to develop actually and it definitely has relevance with road cars.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

Honestly, I thought the rules were in effect after all because they got scrapped before. I think the FIA’s 2014 regulations on theor website still describe the smaller wings etc… confusing.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I actually DO care the 2014 cars are slower than this years, and even the 2004 cars- why is the fastest motor sport in the world slower that 10 years ago?? The whole world evolves while F1 get slower- doesnt make sense!

I see if money is the issue but saftey & driver skill is not. Currently drivers are coasting a bit with tyres, not pushing their own physical limits. I would LOVE to see how fast Newey could make one of these things (without all the regs) before it is past the limit of a human being to make it go faster- how many seconds a lap quicker than now?? We will know but Fernando is my current pick for the guy to touch that limit!

As for going green- really!!?? Yes an important ‘image’ F1 seems to require, but I hardly think the sport is having major “carbon footprint” compared to industry worldwide- the planet has gone over the top with PC correctness- let the quickest 22 guys in the world be QUICK 19 or 20 times a year!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.