F1

A new DRS idea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    M.M.C
    Participant

I’m not really a keen supporter of the DRS, but it has improved the show on certain tracks. My only gripe, however, is with its usage on tracks which have long straights; for example at China, Turkey, Malaysia, etc. Instead of having the DRS zone halfway up the straight, why not have it right at the beginning, and then say, cut off about a quarter of the way in? This way, when the pursuing driver gets close to the guy in front, he won’t be stuck on the limiter, and we’ll actually see more wheel-to-wheel racing as they’ll be doing similar speeds by the time they get to the next corner. I really hate it when a driver just flys past the other one, and when the guy in front goes to defend (pointless, really), it gives the guy behind a open road just to breeze past.

Thoughts, and other possible ideas?

Rucknar
    Participant

Could work in theory but the added benefit of drafting someone is greater further down the straight as they are travelling at a faster speed. I prefer when the DRS zone is as you exit the corner, adds a bit of skill to it…

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me but DRS is meant to reduce drag and i’m not sure how much drag can be lost when you’re not travelling particularly fast, especially out of a corner. I guess it would be difficult to disable DRS remotely unless you could use the technology currently used for detection in reverse?

I think the best solution is to apply the data gathered this year into some sort of number cruncher for next year and see what it throws out.

KaIIe
    Participant

The first half of straights might work, as usually the top speed doesn’t matter, only how fast you reach it.

One idea that I’ve heard is to disable the DRS when the cars are side-by-side (should be relatively easy to do with GPS or something similar). That would stop those too easy moves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.