F1

A1GP might be revived, great news or nothing interesting?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BasCB
    Participant

Autosport reports ( http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/85015v ), that some people from the A1GP organisation are working with the administrators to revive the championship in the 2011/2012 season. They would use the Ferrari powered/designed cars and have 10 Lola chassises from the original design available. It might have most of the countries and circuits it raced on, but a different bussiness philosophy. Instead of running everything and giving the teams money to race with, the teams would have to get sponsoring in place and the organisation would just run things and supply spare parts.

Even though i never really got behind this series, it made me think, weather this is good news. It does offer a lot of countries possible entries for their drivers, show different circuits and makes for something of a home support and improve F1 audience as well (India, Turkey, China, Malaysia, South Africa, Mexico, USA, UAE-states, etc.) and it runs in the winter months to have something to compete with GP2-asia. Oh, and the Ferrari designed and driven cars are something to watch out for as well.

On the other hand, we allready have GP2/3, F2, F3000, Indycar, AutoGP, Superleage GP, Renault World series, Palmer Audi etc., so there is so much open wheel racing around, it’s hard to see wich series makes sense for drivers and makes sense financially.

SoLiDG
    Participant

It wasn’t a bad series, nice hard racing.

Wouldn’t be bad if we could see them back in action!

Good chassis and great power, but bad strategy on the money part imo :)

wasiF1
    Participant

Yes it was a good series, next to f1 & Moto Gp it was my favourite. I think one way they can don profit if they organize their race alone-side F1, I know it sounds crazy but how about having their race on Saturday.Bernie may like the idea of making more money.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

They already have GP2 and GP3 as support series for the races. They don’t need A1GP. And having them wouldn’t earn Bernie any more money.

Macca
    Participant

Ireally hope this gets back up and running.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

The best thing about A1GP was that it was always being mentioned on the F1 Rejects podcast! But since there have been no new podcasts for a long time now then that isn’t an issue anymore, so I’m not too fussed about A1GP

RobR

It made me think of F1Rejects too, because when I think of A1GP I think of Alex Yoong and Jos Verstappen and all sorts of other rejectish former F1 types getting a second chance at glory.

SoLiDG
    Participant

They did have some nice drivers, but some very bad ones aswell :)

Hulkenberg did a great job for germany, we had Doornbos, Verstappen etc

I wouldn’t mid seeing it back again. It was quite a good series with some good racing! I liked it anyway…..

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Yeah, a series where the likes of Alex Yoong were able to win races was never going to be of the highest standard

Scribe
    Participant

kersmeh, to be honnest, I watched one A1 race at Brands Hatch in my entire life, an it wern’t that great. An the standard was low, too many single seater catogaries with simular standards of racing out their at the moment.

Tom L.
    Participant

I thought A1GP was a great series. A good mix of up-and-coming talents and past Formula 1 stars racing together, for one thing, which you don’t get in many series – a good way to evaluate the talent of the young guns and even re-evaluate some older drivers! Plus the quality of the racing was good, always entertaining to watch. Also, the circuit requirements being less strict than those for F1 meant that we got to watch racing on circuits we don’t get to see much of otherwise, such as circuits that have dropped off the F1 calendar.

Macca
    Participant

@Scribe – I think it’s a bit unfair that you have judged the entire series on the basis of one race.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.