F1

Are Mercedes Vettel’s only threat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mclaren
    Participant

I have been thinking about the championship, and to me only Mercedes have the pace to worry Vettel and RB. The lotus is only quick when track temperatures are 40 degrees plus, and the Ferrari still lack pace to mount a serious challenge despite having Alonso. Mercedes on the other hand have a car that is undoubtedly the outright fastest car, their race pace remains an issue when track temps are very high, but to me only Mercedes can prevent another Vettel/Red Bull sweep of the championships. Hamilton needs to be perfect like Alonso 2012 and make the most of his qualifying pace. In germany for example, had Hamilton not stuffed his start, i think due to it being a difficult overtaking track and given his pace was hardly disastrous (he was matching the RB’s in the first 7 laps, thereafter he was in traffic) he well could have won this championship.
    In conclusion, only Hamilton to me can stop Vettel, right now he has the determination and the machinary to mount a comeback. I mean yesterday watching him keep Alonso behind was a treat, he just kept fighting like a warrior.

mclaren
    Participant

* he well could have won this race

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

No, it is looking likely that RBR’s consistency will win them this championship. So unfortunately be prepared for more arrogant finger fun ;-)

Journeyer
    Participant

@McLaren It’s a good theory, but Mercedes are just as tyre-dependent as Lotus are, except they prefer lower temps. To put things in context, have you seen Lotus AND Mercedes competitive at the same time? On the other hand, @full-throttle-f1 is right that RBR is generally competitive regardless of track temps. And it’s that consistent competitiveness that will win them both titles.

Not to mention Lotus, Mercedes, and Ferrari are now taking points away from each other. For any of them to have a chance at challenging Red Bull this far back, there needs to be a clear #2 team on pace amongst them, while hoping Vettel runs into issues more often.

Michael
    Participant

@McLaren – the theory is nice but Hamilton ain’t going to be stopping Vettel if he runs into Rosberg who tries to slow him down so that he doesn’t lose the points game at the end of a season.

I’ve always viewed Rosberg as a driver more so than a racer. He prefers to drive than race and he seems to be able to win as long as the other team car is in P2 supporting him or he inherits the win.

I don’t think Hamilton could have won yesterday. The 2 Red Bulls would have caught him eventually. He needed Rosberg to slow them down just as Hamilton slowed them down at Monaco this year and Schumacher did in China last year.

The teammate defending a teammate’s lead is akin to the knights pairing up in chess in the mid to late stages of chess. It’s very hard to beat. At best, you’ll beat one knight…

In yesterday’s case, one knight trapped the other knight.

Asanator
    Participant

Lol, No. Mercedes and certainly Hamilton is no threat this season!

Mark Webber is probably the only realistic threat and as Redbull seem determined to scupper his chances at every opportunity it will be up to Kimi and/or Fernando to stop him.

Asanator
    Participant

@Michael – Just like Malaysia eh?

David-A
    Participant

@asanator

Redbull seem determined to scupper his (Webber’s) chances at every opportunity

Just like Malaysia eh?

When they used team orders to help him win, but he still lost.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Webber has never needed any assistance in scuppering his chances. He does a perfectly adequate job of that all by himself.

infernojim
    Participant

Vettel’s only threat is bad luck and bad reliability.

If he finishes all the rest of the races this season he will DEFINITELY win the world championship.

He needs at least 3 non finishes for anyone else to have a chance, and even then he’ll probably still win the world championship, because when he does finish he normally beats most or all of his main rivals.

I have to grudgingly respect that. The kid can drive. I would love Kimi to do it, but 10 2nd place finishes ain’t going to get the job done. He needs a few wins in the mixer….

Please F1 / bad luck gods prove me wrong and let Vettel not win this season!

Kingshark
    Participant

Don’t count out the Samurai yet. He did come within 3 points of winning the WDC with an F2012 when Vettel was driving an RB8, and came within 4 points of winning the WDC with an F10 when Vettel was driving an RB6. ;-)

wsrgo
    Participant

@kingshark No one can count out Alonso in this stage of te championship, but I sense a bit of frustration creeping into him now. Ferrari’s technical level has said stagnant at best, has regressed horribly at worst. Despite having vast resources and an army of aerodynamicists who developed the MP4-27 last year, things aren’t just falling into place.
    I guess both Massa and Domenicali need to go.

Asanator
    Participant

@Dizzy-A –

Just like Malaysia eh?

You seem to be linking two comments about different teams, the above was a reference to @Michael ‘s comment on the Hamilton/Rosberg situation not Webber/Vettel ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with @kingshark
    Alonso is fading and that is the only way Seb wont win his fourth!
    Lotus are too hit & miss and Mark will hopefully pop up for a win or two.

I did think Alonso & Kimi would be better this year!!!!!!!!

Jon Sandor
    Participant

He needs at least 3 non finishes for anyone else to have a chance, and even then he’ll probably still win the world championship, because when he does finish he normally beats most or all of his main rivals.

I have to grudgingly respect that.

Why “grudgingly”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.