F1

Are team bosses too friendly?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems to me that team bosses talk a lot more and get on better than they ever used to. Is this right?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You would rather they utterly despise one another? Why?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I like to think that Apple and Microsoft don’t chat on a weekly basis and have a giggle.

You have teams and engineers working their nuts off to beat these guys… Don’t forget that they are fighting for sponsorship

Like Eddie Jordan says… Back in the day the team.bosses owned the team and therefore it was their own money. That’s why they were more protective and not as friendly because they were all competing to keep their team alive. Now its the big businesses that soak up the costs and mistakes

Anonymous
    Inactive

Basically it just doesn’t seem right… It’s business at the end of the day and there should be no friends in this type of business.

I love the relationship between Hamilton and alonso

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Eh? And the end of the day it’s a sport, not a business…

I think that, on the whole, it’s a good thing to have team bosses cooperating in a friendly way. I do miss characters like Flavio and Ron though…

James_mc
    Participant

I think the more antagonistic bosses in the past now no longer feature heavily in the sport. While I loved the press conference from I think 2003 which was famously awkward with all the team principles; I really think it’s good that given the outside influences circling the sport and the ones internally wishing to pull it apart that the teams try to stick together.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At least Lewis and maldonado are still competitive and won’t be sipping champagne together

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like having pantomime villains but after years of the principals bitching and bickering I’m really enjoying this friendly era. It makes a nice change. Over the years F1 has become a bit sterile and corporate to say the least so to see the bosses who are highly competitive actually genuinely getting along I think it’s terrific.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is great to see but it isn’t classic f1 and we complain that the sport has lost touch with its heritage so much.

It’s great for tv and great for fans which should be all that matters but I can’t help thinking that a little bit of the good old fashioned rivalry would be enjoyed also and non of this hugging after races and going out for brunches

DavidS
    Participant

It’s just like how the drivers are friendly towards each other.

Think about it from a purely personal perspective of the team bosses, they have a tremendous amount in common with each other. They are responsible for an F1 team, they spend a lot of time travelling around the world, their favourite sport is F1, and they tend to be in a lot of the same places at the same time. The only other people that truly understand what it’s like being a team principal is other team principles.

Of course, there’s probably an unwritten rule book on which topics are taboo, but for the most part, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be friendly towards each other.

Slr
    Participant

I think team personnel getting along with opposing teams helps the sports image, and it helps Formula One attract drivers. I heard drivers in other racing series say that the general corporate attitude of people in Formula One turns them away from the sport. I remember reading about Takuma Sato saying that the general atmosphere at IndyCar is much friendlier, in comparison to Formula One.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.