• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 hours, 31 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Frijns: “At Red Bull they treat you like a dog”

This topic contains 24 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of MazdaChris MazdaChris 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Stefan

Frijns bevestigde ook dat hij al twee keer ‘nee’ heeft verkocht aan Red Bull. “Klopt. Ik heb twee keer bedankt voor een plekje in het juniorprogramma. Dat was nadat ik de titel in de Formule BMW had gewonnen (in 2010, red.). De manier waarop zij werken in dat programma, die past gewoon niet bij mij. Je wordt daar niet echt fair behandeld en je kunt ook niet meer zelf kiezen waar je wilt rijden. Die vrijheid verlies je. Zij bepalen bij welk team je instapt, maar ik ben heel gevoelig voor een team dus ik wil die keuze zelf kunnen maken. Achteraf gezien heeft dat ook goed voor mij uitgepakt. Je ziet hoever het me al heeft gebracht.”

TRANSLATION:
    Frijns also confirms that he had refused to sign with Red Bull twice. “True. I have said thank you very much twice for a spot in their juniorprogramme. That was after I took the title in Formula BMW in 2010. The way they work in their programma just isn’t something I like. You will not really be threaten fair and you can’t choose in which championship you want to race. That freedom will be lost. They determine at what team you’ll driver, but I am sensitive for a team so I would like to make that call myself. Looking back at that decision it worked really well for me. You can already see where it has brought me.”

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/286818/frijns-er-hangt-heel-veel-van-deze-test-af/

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I understand he still expects to test the RB8 this Thursday.

Frijns earned that test because he was the highest-placed WSR driver not connected to any Formula 1 team (like Bianchi and Ferrari). Red Bull are obligated to run him during the YDT, no matter what he says about them.

Stefan

Of course he will, Robin also did a demo run with Red Bull in Moscow back in july.

Anonymous

Hmmm, interesting… I don´t know why but I suddenly like this guy… hehehhehee You tell it like it is boy!!!

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys That’s interesting. I know Williams are obligated (I think?) to run F2 champions in a YDT. Is that a similar obligation to Red Bull?

Why Red Bull though? As in – unless RBR really is officially the Renault works team, then why? What special affiliation do they have with Renault?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@raymondu999 – Williams give the reigning Formula 2 champion a drive because they support the Formula 2 championship.

As for Red Bull giving Frijns a run, it’s because Renault have withdrawn from Formula 1 as a constructor. Renault F1 used to give the highest-placed driver with no affiliation to a Formula 1 team a day or two of testing in Abu Dhabi as a prize for their success in Formula Renault 3.5, but when they withdrew from the sport, the burden of responsibility fell to Red Bull. I cannot find anything to suggest why Lotus do no do it, but I suspect Red Bull willingly took on the role so as to find fresh meat for the Young Driver Programme.

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Well Williams more than support F2 – they design the cars.

Yeah that was my question – why Red Bull? As opposed to other customer teams. But as I understand it, they’re basically the works team now anyways (and not “de facto” works team)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Perhaps “obligation” was the wrong word to use, then. I imagine that Red Bull willingly give talented young drivers a go, since they have been doing it for years. Robin Frijns is simply the first driver that I know of who has both a) rejected offers to join the YDP and b) criticised the programme.

Nick
    Participant

I cannot find anything to suggest why Lotus do no do it,

Dutch commentator Olav Mol (although he has been notoriously bad lately) stated a while ago this was due to the fact that Genii/Enstone/Lotus is no longer the Renault ‘works’ team and Red Bull gaining full factory support.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Hmmmm so the real facts of the story are that he said he’d been offered the chance to join Red Bull’s young driver programme but decided to decline because he wanted to retain the freedom to choose which teams he joined in the future. Doesn’t sound particularly unreasonable from either party really, when you think about it.

Just more Red Bull haters trying to create a story where there isn’t one. I wonder why Red Bull attract this kind of nonsense.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.