• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 14 hours, 29 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Austin Track Layout

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Not really sure what to think. I’d probably have to see a full topographic overlay, so that I could see where the elevation changes are. For example, the sequence from turns 12 to 16 looks completely pointless, but if it’s been done that way because the gradient there is steeper than anywhere else on the track, it could actually be a very awesome Rally Monte Carlo-esque section (think the last three turns of the Hungaroring on crack); for that same reason, I reckon the viewing area inside turns 16-17-18 could be one of the best on the calendar because you’s be able to see 80% of the circuit. The section down to the bottom hairpin at turn 11 is very much the anti-Abu Dhabi. It’s got the same shape – the sweeper at turn 6 even looks like turn 4 at Yas Marina – but it hasn’t been designed with a fiddly chicane in it.

Profile photo of plushpile
    plushpile
    Participant

It looks interesting, could be good. But that section after the main straight looks a bit mickey-mouse…

And the straight is well over 1km again.

I like the look of the first sector or so, the Magotts/Beckets/Sazuka esses part looks pretty interesting.

Profile photo of gabal
    gabal
    Participant

It looks interesting, reminds me of Turkey in few corners – if there are also elevation changes (turn one is mentioned in article to be uphill) then track could be good. Turns 10-12 remind me of last sector in Montreal (minus the Wall of Champions of course,this track will have runoff area…)

I really wonder something – when was the last time that the track was introduced and corners actually had names instead of numbers? Singapore tried to name some corners, I can’t recall any recent case…

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Turn names tend to be earned rather than given. Take Mount Panorama at Bathurst, for instance: the first corner is known as Hell. When the circuit was first built, it was originally used for motorcycles and there was a tree stump on the apex. The corner got its name because it was believed that anyone who hit it would instantly go to Hell for committing such an amateur mistake. Or look at the Nurburgring and the Flugplatz corner; it was named because “Flugplatz” is German for “landing strip” and when the cars fly over the crest before it, they almost always clear the roadway. Or even in the case of Singapore – although the attempted to name the corners Sheares, Memorial and the Singapore Sling, it’s more likely that Turn 17 will become known as Piquet’s Corner because it was where Piquet deliberately crashed.

Names are not given. They’re earned.

I feel a sense of deja-vu looking at this layout!

http://imgur.com/7NkA4.jpg

Profile photo of matt88
    matt88

i hope that this cut-and-paste won’t make Austin another Magny-Cours…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.