• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 12 hours, 40 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Australian F1 viewers: a call to arms

This topic contains 73 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Funkyf1 Funkyf1 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HoHum
    HoHum
    Participant

Chanel 10 is a failing network, its management couldn’t arrange a drink in a brewery, like a failing restaurant that decides it will be profitable if it doubles its prices and reduces the cost of the ingredients in each meal, you cannot expect to influence them they are spiraling out of control, only a change of board and management can bring them back, in the meantime they will probably sell the crown jewels to the circling vultures, ie F1 to Foxtel, sorry but that is the way it is.

Profile photo of HoHum
    HoHum
    Participant

Chanel 10 is a failing network, its management couldn’t arrange a drink in a brewery, like a failing restaurant that decides it will be profitable if it doubles its prices and reduces the cost of the ingredients in each meal, you cannot expect to influence them they are spiraling out of control, only a change of board and management can bring them back, in the meantime they will probably sell the crown jewels to the circling vultures, ie F1 to Foxtel, sorry but that is the way it is.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And yet, they’re still the best commercially-available network in the country. NBN’s broadcasting is enough to induce sleep, while Prime’s programming is downright embarrassing, even if they do show “Castle” and the V8 Supercars.

Profile photo of ed24f1
    ed24f1
    Participant

Well clearly you don’t have a ratings box then! :P

Profile photo of Silverkeg
    Silverkeg
    Participant

Channel 9 is in huge downfall far worse than that of Channel 10 and Channel 7 could put any pointless show (oh wait…That’s Better Homes & Gardens) and it would rate well.

I wish the ABC had enough money to show something like F1, They would surely do a better job than the commercial channels.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No, I don’t have a ratings box. But I find Nine’s programming to be dire; it’s a pretty sorry state of affairs when the best thing they show is re-runs of “Law & Order” (which I confess to liking … especially the current run of episodes with Angie Harmon in them). And as for Prime, well, they have the likes of “Please Marry My Boy” and other trashy shows that speak to the network’s innermost creative bankruptcy.

Profile photo of BradAus
    BradAus
    Participant

it is a major pain in the backside that it isnt going to be in HD anymore but what i really want is no adverts. i was in the uk in time to see the brazillian GP live and while it wasnt the best race of the year the coverage was well above what i have ever seen on Ten or One HD

Profile photo of damonsmedley
    damonsmedley
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys What is Prime? And I find all Australian TV boring. For the last two years, the only thing I’ve used my TV for is F1. Now it’s looking like I’m going to be completely reliant on streaming and downloading races so I won’t even need a TV! :-D

@Silverkeg Yeah, I’ve been dreaming of F1 on ABC for years. That would be brilliant! Oh, and then we could iView the races afterwards too…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Prime is Channel 7 in regional areas.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

I’ve just checked my program guide and it IS on OneHD tonight at 8:30,

Profile photo of DazB
    DazB
    Participant

@Funkyf1 That’s quali only – not the main race tomorrow.

So annoyed with this decision. We finally get F1 in HD and One take it away from us. Asshats.

Profile photo of Toro Stevo
    Toro Stevo
    Participant

Yeah, pretty cynical move here by ten. But that’s free to air in Australia, idiotic doesn’t even cover it.

And if this means more coverage like we got with the Australian grand prix (much longer/more frequent ads, flogging other channel 10 shows) then I’ll pass. Already they’ve put more ads in this year, but it was still at bearable levels on One, less than the almost four minute ad breaks we’re normally subjected to in Australia.

Feel really sorry for the 20% in the western states who aren’t just losing the HD, but live coverage full stop. The best thing we can do to rectify the situation is to stop watching it all together, lowering ratings to the point where it can go back to one.

Profile photo of Thecollaroyboys
    Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

Here’s another story from the Oz

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/broadcast/ten-move-irks-motor-racing-fans-and-sponsors/story-fna045gd-1226335722978

Apparantly even the advertisers were taken by suprise.

Profile photo of Jarred Walmsley
    Jarred Walmsley
    Participant

At least its still better than the NZ feed which is on Sky yet uses the BBC commentary and I don’t even think its in HD.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yeah, pretty cynical move here by ten.

I wouldn’t say it’s cynical. More mis-guided. On a certain level, I don’t blame them – when Ricciardo joined HRT for Silverstone last year, it was the first time that two Australians had been in Formula 1 since 1977. And when Ricciardo was promoted to Toro Rosso for this season, he was in with a chance of regular points. His qualifying in Bahrain demonstrated that the car be quick. With Australia’s reputation as a sporting nation, and with two Australians in reasonably-competitive cars, it does make sense from a marketing point of view to move the coverage into the mainstream channel. And, of course, there is Casey Stoner in MotoGP, who is the reigning champion, so that’s another drawcard. Ten are evidently trying to open the sport(s) up to new viewers who might not follow motorsport, but are interested in the progress of Australian competitors. That, I think, can only be a good thing; I still recall Keith telling us how he first encountered Formula 1 in one of the articles on the site. I think he was idly flipping through channels and by chance saw part of the British Grand Prix. That could easily happen again and create a whole new generation of fans.

There are, however, a few problems with Ten’s approach, mostly in the way they have pitched it to audiences. For one, the only time I have ever seen it mentioned is when they are outlining their Sunday night programming, and it only gets a brief mention at the end of the advert with a quick glimpse of Webber’s car. There’s no mention of Australians racing in the sport or even what the sport is.

Secondly, Formula 1 (and MotoGP) is completely at odds with the actual prgramming of “Super Sundays”. They start out with The Biggest Loser, which is just toally unappealing to me because I don’t particularly want to watch overweight people exercise for an hour as entertainment. Then they move to a pair of sitcoms in Modern Family and New Girl (I’ll try and be neutral, but I can’t stand Zooey Deschanel; I find her whole “wholesome-but-quirky girl-next-door” schtick to be very hollow, like it was the product of a marketing exercise). Then Touch, which I admit that I don’t know too much about other than that it has Kiefer Sutherland and the guy from Lethal Weapon whose name I can never remember in it. And then Formula 1/MotoGP. It’s just a total tonal shift from reality television to sticoms to prime-time drama and then … motorsport. It’s jarring, and it doesn’t work for me.

If Ten actually took the time to market Formula 1 properly, then the move could work, even if it means stepping down to a standard definition braodcast. But they’ve just failed, either because they assumed that people would know what it was and would watch it, or that it would sell itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.