• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 19 hours, 45 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Australian F1 viewers: a call to arms

This topic contains 73 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Funkyf1 Funkyf1 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Thecollaroyboys
    Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

Seems like we owe Shannons a big thank you. They were going to pull out of their sponsorship if all regions didnt get the races live.

Profile photo of Stretch
    Stretch
    Participant

The MotoGP race in Portugal is again on SD Ten while the rest of the coverage is on One, grrr….. :|

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

I still don’t understand why it’s not on OneHD? It’s not like they have replaced it with anything worthwhile!

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@funkyf1 – Because Ten is more of a mainstream channel than One, and they’re obviously hoping to get more viewers this way.

Profile photo of damonsmedley
    damonsmedley
    Participant

They should put it on both channels. Does anyone seriously stay up late on a Sunday evening to watch M*A*S*H repeats? It’s such a waste of an HD channel, especially considering there’s so few of them.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

@damonsmedley I totally agree, that’s where my disbelief comes from, they have stripped their sports channel and filled it with re-runs. Why put qualifying for both the F1 and MotoGp on OneHd then broadcast the races on Ten while filling OneHD with rubbish? Give us the HD broadcast we deserve.

Profile photo of damonsmedley
    damonsmedley
    Participant

I don’t think we “deserve” it, but I do think they’re missing a trick and annoying their viewers!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@funkyf1 – I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware Formula 1 viewers were any more “deserving” of HD broadcasts than anyone else. You need to understand that the decisions to move Formula 1 from One to Ten was made by people who do not necessarily follow the sport the way we do, and who made the decision based on what the best thing for the channel was, rather than the best thing for a niche group of viewers.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

OneHd started as a sports channel if i’m not mistaken? What happened to that??

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@funkyf1 – They weren’t getting enough viewers. There’s not much point to a sports channel if you don’t have and can’t get the rights to the AFL and NRL. It got to the point where OneHD was costing Ten more money than it was worth, so they changed their programming lineup.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Well the channel still operates and a great example is tonight. They are showing Moto2 for 1 and a 1/2, followed by Predator, a movie released in 1987. Tell me this, how can they justify Moto2 live and then not follow on with MotoGp? I understand what you are saying in regards to viewers, so please explain why MotoGp gets played on Ch10 instead of OneHd when it would surely rate higher than Moto2. In just doesnt make sense! If they want ratings they need to broadcast the main events, they stated their rating were up on the last GP, because they went live across Australia, why can’t they do that on OneHD?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@funkyf1

Tell me this, how can they justify Moto2 live and then not follow on with MotoGp?

Because MotoGP is the premier class, and so they probably figure that most people don’t really care about the feeder series. The people who do care can watch on One before swapping over to Ten. Yes, it makes more sense to put all three events on the one channel, but they can’t move Moto2 and Moto3 to Ten because they would just take up prime-time programming slots. And they don’t want to keep MotoGP on One because they think they can get more viewers with it on Ten.

so please explain why MotoGp gets played on Ch10 instead of OneHd when it would surely rate higher than Moto2

Again, it’s because they think MotoGP will rate higher still on Channel Ten.

they went live across Australia, why can’t they do that on OneHD?

Again, it’s because they think they can get more ratings on Ten than they would on One.

Do you see the pattern here? Ten gets more viewers than One. Therefore, they put the premier events on Ten to attract more viewers.

You don’t seem to understand that these decisions are not being made by fans of the sport or for fans of the sport. They are being made by network executives in what they think the interests of the station are.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

They think they can get more viewers on Ten because? You don’t seem to understand that I believe they are making poor decisions, that’s why their station (OneHD) doesn’t get ratings!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@funkyf1

They think they can get more viewers on Ten because?

Because Ten traditionally gets a lot of viewers in that timeslot. And since the rights to both Formula 1 and MotoGP can be expensive, they no doubt want to get their money’s worth.

You don’t seem to understand that I believe they are making poor decisions, that’s why their station (OneHD) doesn’t get ratings!

No, I get that. But their priority is and always has been Channel Ten, since it’s the flagship channel. One might be be failing in the ratings and expensive to run, but at the end of the day, both channels are owned by the same braodcaster. If they can offset some of the costs of One by luring more viewers and advertisers to Ten, they’ll do it.

Profile photo of Dane.
    Dane.
    Participant

CH10’s profits were down 70% from last year. Which is why they’re switching F1 & MotoGP races from OneHD to ch10. To get more advertising $. OneHD is still going great, but the move is just to bolster the SD channel. Expect more dancing, & reality shows on ch10 too :/

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.