F1

Australian GP's Saving Grace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Macca
    Participant

It was announced earlier in the month the the Australian MOTO GP round would be moved to late March which would make it a week after the Australian F1 GP round. By doing this, Victoria hope to create a week long Festival of Speed, Australias version of Goodwood if you will.

Personally, I think this is a brilliant idea and might just be the thing that is needed to save the F1 GP. It will not only help each individual sport but it will also keep the tourists in the region for a longer period of time.

Couple this with the cost cutting measures that are being made by the Australian Grand Prix Corporation and it could just be the thing that saves this great race.

What do all think?

ed24f1
    Participant

Yes, it’s a good idea – but the MotoGP date change isn’t officially confirmed yet.

Maybe they could drum up the midweek stuff as well. How about a F1 driver parade through the city, or something like that?

The F1 event would also go much better if it was moved forward a week to avoid a clash with the opening round of the AFL.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

All valid points in favour of it. But it’s the extra upheaval of people who just aren’t that interested in either. It could be the straw that breaks the camels back either way.

Scottie
    Participant

Maybe they could arrange a motor show or something for the week in-between. Why not have a parade of BOTH MotoGP and F1 drivers?! That’d be some event!

Macca
    Participant

Reports are that’s what they will be creating. A motor show that will have classic cars and bikes from Australia’s racing history as well as overseas classics and modern day marvels. Plus access to the drivers and riders.

Like I said before, something like the Goodwood Festival of Speed with an Australian twist.

Prof Kirk
    Participant

I have a quick question for everyone. During the Melbourne GP week, where would I be able to find Sebastian Vettel? My aim is to seek him out so that he can autograph my Sun Visor from my Renaultsport Clio200. Last year I found Fernando Alonso at the rent a bike shop just outside Albert Park on a Wednesday so this year I was thinking about aimlessly roaming the streets after work each day.

Suggestions?

Stephen Jones
    Participant

there should be interviews at the track on wednesday or thursday..

except for that, the drivers will stay at crown, and there will be limited sponsorship appearances they’ll be attending. keep your eyes open!

Grace
    Participant

Nobody is saving me. What’s going on????

ed24f1
    Participant

Actually, the V8 Supercars Clipsal 500 is already the week before the Australian GP, in Adelaide, so if people were going to stay for the week, I don’t think they’d be more likely to do it for the MotoGP than for the V8s.

Macca
    Participant

I think the MOTO GP has a bit of bigger fan base than the V8 Supercars though, considering it is the premier bike category in the world.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.