F1

Bernie Ecclestone – good or bad?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

This might sound like a controversial thing to say but is Bernie Ecclestone now a bad influence on the future of Formula one?

Undeniably he has transformed the sport over the last 35 years, from a tiny sport which was considered only for the rich to the global TV coverage we have today here are my thoughts

The Yes point of view

High ticket prices/ moving TV coverage to subscription based services i.e. Sky are some reasons for falling spectators
    An arguably flawed system with prize money were the lower down the championship the team finishes seriously affects the amount they receive i.e. in 2013 Red bull as world champions received a total of approx. $98.97 but Caterham who finished last received a total of approx. $34.12 ( source http://www.tsmplug.com/f1/formula-1-prize-money)

Is his age affecting his judgment? Take for example the double points at the final race of the 2015 season (of which in my view is a good idea in theory it should never have been put into place), the vast majority of the fans/ drivers objected to it was still introduced

The No point of view

When he steps down (which due to his age and health problems that are common in people of his age might happen sooner rather than later), unless there is a clearly defined plan of what happens next i.e. who’s now in charge there is likely to be a major power struggle as his empire is carved up.

Who else is respected/ experienced enough to deal with all the various personalities from within the paddock/ media etc each with their own agenda? When currently all he has to do is express a view on something and gets air time in newspapers/ TV coverage etc

Who else is as good in a negotiation of a contract that is worth millions

What are your views as I would like to know?

Nick
    Participant

For as long as I have been watching Formula One (1998) I have heard people talk ill of Bernie. Once I started investigating on what he did for the sport, I came across many clever tactics and a lot of good for the sake of the sport and his wallet.

However, his business model is outdated. The financial aspects are no longer realistic, as the poorest teams are left out to dry, while we no longer have the Andrea Moda/Simtek like teams which Bernie wanted to get rid of in the 90s. Ferrari gets a lot of money for being Ferrari; another illogical and outdated idea. On the other hand, there’s his influence on the rules and the FIA’s regulation of F1 in general. Frankly, in the 80s and perhaps the early 90s, the sport was still growing and having someone who wants to monetize the sport having an influence made sense. However, F1 has grown a lot and right now, his ideas are not those of the fans, who are more in number and more in financial influence. From double points to selling F1 as a subscription on top of regular TV subscriptions, his ideas might make sense for the money, but no longer for the sport.

There’s a reason why, in business, the original entrepreneurs leave the daily reigns of a business to more qualified people; at some point you’re done innovating and you’re moving the business or product away from the consumer’s needs. Frankly, I think both the FIA and Bernie have forgotten that it is not the sponsors who are the consumers of the sport; it’s the fans. While you could argue they matter less, I’d still point to Korea and India, as well as Turkey, as a sign that attendance numbers still matter for the tracks.

Ideally FOM or CVC would have had someone running along with Bernie for years now. But, I’m getting the idea Bernie literally lives for F1 now. It is not uncommon for people his age to stop working or any other activity and rapidly see their health decrease. I think they’re putting off a definitive end, because they don’t have a replacement, nor do they want to give Bernie the idea they have a replacement ready.

The recent news on the teams talking to Charlie Whiting about the radio rules and having them relaxed goes to show how messed up F1 is: the commercial rights holder suggests something to the rulemakers, they implement it, suddenly, the ones who have to follow the rules protest.

Bernie, FOM, CVC, the FIA and the teams have shown time and time again to be completely unable to reflect on past changes, how other series deal with rules or commercial rights or even simply consider the wider consequences. It’s not Bernie that’s bad, it’s the entire F1 institution.

The racing might be great this year, but as far as respect for these institutions go, I’m having a terrible year..

Ed Marques
    Participant

I think Bernie should go. Simple as that.

Dan
    Participant

Ok some good points, let me ask you another question if I can? For argument sake Bernie has died/ stepped down or cant continue for some reason and you found yourself as his replacement what would you do to:

Improve the racing?
    Reduce costs?
    Keep the fans happy?
    Keep the sponsors happy?

I have a few ideas if anybody interested?

Bookoi
    Participant

Bad.

I know people like to talk about how much Bernie has done to help the sport ‘grow into what it is today’ but for me, that’s completely negated by how much he’s now doing to drive the sport into the ground.

A good promoter does not constantly talk his product down. The old ‘any press is good press’ adage does not always ring true. The audience is too well-informed these days for such rubbish.

A good promoter does not try to break into new markets by charging circuit owners such ridiculous (and escalating) fees that ticket prices need to be higher than the local population can realistically afford.

A good promoter does not alienate the existing consumers (die hard fans) by forcing universally condemned rule changes on them in a desperate bid to draw in new fans.

A good promoter does not create a financial structure that leaves a significant portion of the sport’s participants on the verge on ruin, whilst the participants supported by global corporations grow ever more secure and the majority of the income that could benefit everybody (and increase competition) flows into the accounts of capital investors that care nothing for the sport. Worse still, Bernie’s response to the struggling teams is ‘who cares? let the richest teams fill the gaps’. I’m sure the families of those working for the teams that are driven out will be thrilled with that solution.

As far as making money goes, Bernie is a genius. But that’s all it’s about. He’s not a Formula 1 fan. The sport is just a cash cow to be milked hard and abused. As much as I don’t like the uncertainty about what comes next, I for one cannot wait to see him leave.

Dan
    Participant

Who would you put in charge then as sooner rather than later someone is going to have to replace him

Bookoi
    Participant

Somebody that cares about and respects:
    – the sport
    – the fans
    – the teams
    – heritage

It’s not a lot to ask, really.

Dan
    Participant

put like that it sounds simple but sadly its very hard to find someone like that

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.