• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 11 hours, 52 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Best driver never to have won a Grand Prix

This topic contains 69 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bruno Bruno 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jihelle
    jihelle
    Participant

And what about Derek Warwick ? I rate him higher than Brundle.

Profile photo of Cyclops_PL
    Cyclops_PL
    Participant

I would go with Heidfeld. Had he landed a drive seat in McLaren, when he had a chance, maybe things would have gone other way. Now we have a guy who’s better than half of the current “best ever” grid and doesn’t have a drive. Damn you, paydrivers!

Chris Amon is the classic, he was considered by his contemporaries to one of the top drivers (his contemporaries being Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart etc!).

Stefan Bellof was one of the all time great talents, he truly was on a par with Senna and Prost in terms of pure speed. He was the best not to win a Grand Prix for me.

Other honorable mentions are Ricardo Rodriguez, Tom Pryce, Vic Elford (who was and still is one of the best all rounders ever seen in 4 wheeled motorsport) and I honestly think of the last 20 or so years, Nico Rosberg is probably the best to have not yet won a race.

Profile photo of jihelle
    jihelle
    Participant

It’s nice to see that Vic Elford is mentioned. Like Amon he was quite unlucky (his Porsche broke while he was leading Le Mans in 1970 a few hours before the finish). As far as I know, he’s the only driver to win the Monte Carlo rally and to have competed in the Monaco GP in the same year (1968). But I am not sure he was GP winner material, as much as I admire him.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Giorgio Pantano.

One of the quickest drivers ever.

Profile photo of jihelle
    jihelle
    Participant

Sure. But he didn’t know how to turn…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go_bIeZ61N0&feature=related

Profile photo of 0634
    Participant

For me:

1. Beloff

2. Amon

3. Rosberg

4. Brundle

Profile photo of Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Jean Behra. Amon 2nd, Brundle 3rd. Mika Salo was pretty good, too.

Profile photo of Fixy
    Fixy
    Participant

Arturo Merzario, Luca Badoer, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Nicola Larini. All Italians :(

Profile photo of sbl on tour
    sbl on tour
    Participant

@jiheele, warwick, come on you must be joking, at best a journeyman

&fixy, come off it, have you lost the plot!

Profile photo of KateM
    KateM

There are lots of good names here but I have to pick Stefan Bellof as well. He looked to be an outstanding talent. I remember when I first watched the 1984 Monaco GP, I immediately had to Google him afterwards because I couldn’t believe that I had never heard of him before. His death was a great loss to the sport, imagine how epic the late 80s could have been if he had been around to challenge the like of Mansell, Senna and Prost.

Profile photo of Piexstrokers
    Piexstrokers

It’s Rosberg for me.. He really need that first winning taste, so he can be hungrier.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Brundle is on top of a bundle

Profile photo of jihelle
    jihelle
    Participant

@sbl

Warwick was offered a William seat for 1985 but decided to stay at Renault (bad choice). Mansell got the seat at Williams and the rest is history. Ayrton Senna didn’t want him at Lotus in 1986 for fear he would outpace him. Warwick made some bad choices in his career and only once got a car matched to his potential: at Renault in 1984 with two second places and two third places to show for in a year when the McLaren were the class of the field. Not bad for a “journeyman”.

Profile photo of Dan Thorn
    Dan Thorn
    Participant

Like other have said – Brundle, Heidfeld and Amon were all very good and perhaps should have won races. Verstappen was also handy later in his career, as was De Cesaris, though he was erratic.

Rosberg is the guy on today’s grid who’s knocking on the door of a win the most. Once he gets that first win I reckon it’ll be hard to stop him.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.