F1

Best motorsport movies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    the_sigman
    Participant

As I am waiting to watch ‘Fastest’ I would like you to say some of the best movies about motorsport.

robk23
    Participant

Herbie: Fully Loaded with Lindsay Lohan! No I’m joking, it’s a terrible film.

andae23
    Participant

Though I do not know which motorsport movie is the best, the worst movie for sure is ‘Driven’ with Sylvester Stallone. He tried to make it exciting by adding absurd crashes and a ridiculous car chase in CARTs through the city. I challenge you to take this youtube video serious:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxf1qaLbfY

the_sigman
    Participant

Thanks @robk23 and @andrae23 for telling me what not to watch. What a terrible movie ‘Driven’ is!
    Your suggestions could also be documentaries or tributes (like Senna)

PieLighter
    Participant

What did I just watch.

andae23
    Participant

This is what wikipedia says about Driven:

The film received poor reviews, with a 14% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with the consensus saying “Underdeveloped characters, silly plot dynamics, and obvious CG effects.” When Jay Leno appeared as a guest critic on the television show Ebert & Roeper, both Leno and Richard Roeper described Driven as the worst car film ever made, and a terrible depiction of auto racing.

It also earned seven nominations at the 22nd Golden Raspberry Awards (the anti-Oscars), including Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Screen Couple (Burt Reynolds and Sylvester Stallone) and twice for Worst Supporting Actor (Reynolds and Stallone), with Estella Warren winning Worst Supporting Actress.

The film was equally poorly received within the motorsport media, where it was criticised for its outlandish plots, overstated crash scenes, unrealistic racing scenes, and characters and plots that are clearly remnants of the original Formula 1 version of the film.

zomtec
    Participant

I can´t stand watching this shit. Driven was supposed to be a F1 movie but thank god it was then about cart. Although I liked cart at that time. What must the real drivers haven been thinking about the story, crashing scenes and so on…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Driven was easily one of the worst films i’ve ever seen. I especially hated the chase scene in the CARTs (because apparently single seater race cars have an ignition key like a normal road car) and the race at the end where they ‘double team’ the field (like that’s possible). The special effects looked less realistic than a PS1 game! Anyway two films I hear are good are ‘Grand Prix’ (1966) which is a fictionalized version of the 1966 F1 season and includes great drivers of the era such as Phil Hill, Graham Hill and Jim Clark, and Le Mans (1971) a Steve McQueen film about the famous 24 hour race which uses actual onboard footage of a Porsche 917 round the great circuit.

S.J.M
    Participant

Hands down, “Grand Prix” (1966). It stars nearly all the major drivers of the era, had its stars driving the cars (F2 cars mocked up to look like F1) and filmed at all the Classic tracks like Monaco, (Old) Spa and Monza (inc Banking). The acting might be a tad wooden, the plot too ‘soap opera’ and the dialogue a bit cheesey. But it has the best racing scenes ever and thats the best reason to watch it. Oh, and on a presentation point of view, the picture is amazing for a film from the mid 60s.

Le Man is well worth a watch, cutting out the diaglouge that Grand Prix had and replacing it with more Steve McQueen and Porsche 917s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.