F1

Best recent non-championship winning drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

A new idea for a thread, many topics have been made to discuss the best driver without a WDC from a historical perceptive, but let’s to discuss modern times.

Also, with “recent”, I obviously mean drivers who have competed 2000’s-present.

Kingshark
    Participant

Here is my list top 10 list. Each driver on here is judged only by the prime of their career (for instance, I rate Massa based on 2008, not 2011).

1. Felipe Massa
    2. Juan Pablo Montoya
    3. Nico Rosberg
    4. Robert Kubica
    5. Mark Webber
    6. David Coulthard
    7. Rubens Barrichello
    8. Ralf Schumacher
    9. Jarno Trulli
    10. Giancarlo Fisichella

May revise it later sometime.

Kamui Kobayashi.

Ben Needham
    Participant

I agree with your list – although I wouldn’t say that Trulli or Fisichella really deserved a WDC. Although out-performing Prost’s/Jordan’s/Sauber’s all their career – they never really seized an opportunity in a top car.

magon4
    Participant

I’d mention HHF, for sure. He raced into the 2000s, didn’t he?

andae23
    Participant

Not going to make a list, but just going to call a few names. Massa, Kubica, Rosberg and Montoya would probably be in my top 4 too. Apart from those, I think Trulli is one of the most underestimated drivers of this era; 2004 France basically broke his spirit as a driver, which is a huge shame. Maybe apart from Hamilton, Trulli is the only driver who could keep up with Alonso. And of course the number two drivers Coulthard, Barrichello and Webber have to be mentioned here.

Kingshark
    Participant

@ben-n

I agree with your list – although I wouldn’t say that Trulli or Fisichella really deserved a WDC. Although out-performing Prost’s/Jordan’s/Sauber’s all their career – they never really seized an opportunity in a top car.

Trulli never had a chance to prove himself in a top car, so I’m not sure what you mean by that. Though I agree with your assessment on Fisichella.

About Frentzen, he is an interesting one. I always thought of HHF as a 90’s driver, but actually, half of his career was in the 2000’s! Only problem is, that he never even won a race beyond 1999.

Ben Needham
    Participant

I suppose that’s true – but Trulli spent a good many years in a Toyota and never truly (excuse the pun!) outshone Ralf or Glock, except for when Ralf’s performances dipped dramatically in 2007.

His qualifying ability was second to none though and I do rate him as a driver!

Tomsk
    Participant

If Frentzen’s in, then I’m having Jean Alesi.
    I’d put him somewhere around Kubica and Rosberg on your list. I thought he was better than all the number-twos below that.

matt90
    Participant

I’d put Montoya above Massa, and probably Kubica too, even if you based both opinions on 2008 as Kubica was brilliant that year (I think Keith named him driver of the year ahead of Hamilton and Massa). If was an overview of the entire drivers’ careers rather than their one best year though, I’d possibly drop Massa further.

mnmracer
    Participant

1. Felipe Massa
    2. Mark Webber
    3. Nico Rosberg
    4. Robert Kubica
    5. Juan-Pablo Montoya
    6. David Coulthard
    7. Ralf Schumacher
    8. Jarno Trulli
    9. Rubens Barrichello
    10. Giancarlo Fisichella

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mnmracer

I like your list mate but would have Rubens a bit higher in mine and Nico Rosberg doesn’t get a place……………….. only because I think he is a WDC in the next 3 so lets wait for that.

Webber & Massa both a bit stiff really and even as a Webber fan I agree Massa a BIT better when at their respective best- 2008 and 2010!

Kingshark
    Participant

I did not put either Frentzen or Alesi on my list because I thought that neither had achieved much in the 2000’s, although both were obviously quite talented drivers.

About Rosberg, I think he is pending. It’s quite a shame though, as I think that he’s a better/faster driver than Button, who is a champion. Unfortunately, in Formula 1, talent is often not enough. If Nico got a Brawn-2009 level car, I have no doubt he’d win the WDC.

Deej92
    Participant

1. Kubica
    2. Massa
    3. Montoya

Calum
    Participant

JPM, Kubica, Massa and Webber.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.