• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 17 hours, 39 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Bringing F1 back to the edge: Your 5 changes

This topic contains 35 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of magon4 magon4 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Geemac

I agree – DRS with good performance tyres is fine and adds a strategic component as we all wait to see if the driver is going to make it within 1 second and then will he able to pass in the DRS zone?

I think if the tyres are fixed, DRS can stay.

– Better Tyres
    – More in-season testing
    – Better distribution of wealth
    – Less reliance on pay drivers
    – More teams and 1 team for Red Bull in F1 (they are welcome to have another one in another category)

Here’s my change to all this – an award of sorts for the back and mid-field teams – let them fight to win something amongst themselves. If they can’t fight for wins or the WDC, give them another award and a place on the podium

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

1) Less practice during the weekend
    2) Return of engine development during the season. No rpm limit.
    3) No DRS, 2011-Pirelly tyres.
    4) Wider pre-1998 cars
    5) Replace all the enormous tarmac runoffs with a better solution. Grass/gravel and then tarmac or something that truly penalises going to far. Maybe just avoid tarmac next to the acceleration parts of the corners, no point having them there.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Fer_no.65
    Interesting changes!

Won’t removal of the rpm limit affect top speed and general performance? My understanding is that teams can make these cars too fast and too dangerous for the drivers and that the rules and there to limit them for safety purposes (if driving at 200 mph can be considered safe)

What’s the rationale for wider cars? Sorry I had to ask:-)

Profile photo of paulgilb
    paulgilb
    Participant

Here’s a few suggestions:

1. Only allow DRS to be used when the car is being affected by turbulent air from the car in front (i.e. the flap shuts as soon as the car is alongside the car in front) – this is really what the purpose of DRS is.

2. Possibly bring back single-lap qualifying – fewer tyres will be used, the top-10-start-on-same tyres rule can be abolished, and the smaller teams will get more exposure. Also, it will be low-fuel, unlike when we had it 2003-05. The running order could be determined by the finishing order in P3.

3. Enforce a budget cap, or alternatively decree that the amount that a team spends in excess of a certain limit is then deducted from their prize money (e.g. if the cap was £40m and the prize for finishing 1st in the Constructors’ Championship was £100m, then if the team spent £40m or less, they would receive £100m at the end of the season, but if they spent £50m, they would only receive £90m).

4. Don’t red-flag qualifying sessions or races just because it is raining, but perhaps stop the session if no drivers are going out onto the track. If this is not possible, adjust the tyres such that only one type of wet tyre is needed.

5. Something that would be a radical overhaul of F1 – have 20 races, 20 drivers, and 20 cars (10 teams with 2 cars each). Each driver drives each car in one race. This way, the Drivers’ Championship will give a measure of who is the best driver, and the Constructors’ Championship will give a measure of who is the best constructor. Obviously, there will be issues with this (such as the need for the livery of a car to be able to identify both the driver and the team).

Profile photo of JamieFranklinF1
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

1. Tyres – As almost everyone else has said. The tyres do need changing. Obviously, I’m not expert in the black art, but if a tyre could be created, in which the driver has more input in tyre conservation, rather than a cliff, which doesn’t seem to give the driver any option (From what I’ve heard them talk about anyway). That way we could see drivers pushing hard, and doing two stops, with tyres that gradually get worse steadily and others doing one, but still pushing harder than they do now.

2. DRS – I didn’t mind it for a while, and it still sometimes feel a little bit necessary, but I feel that F1 would still be great without it. Brazil certainly didn’t need it.

3. Finance – It goes without saying that it should be split far more evenly between the teams. I don’t care if some have been there since the start, and others have just started. We won’t have teams staying put until they are given the recognition they deserve and splitting the resources more evenly. Not to mention they deserve more altogether, compared to the greed of the other companies involved.

4. Young drivers – Every other race should give the teams a chance to run a car (base, no upgrades allowed) with a young driver in it (Probably for an hour, or just replacing FP1), to allow young drivers to get more experience before hopping in. Alongside this, I’d like to see what we saw this year at Silverstone with the young driver’s test, but also having one at the end of the season too.

5. Practice – I’d like to give running less practice a go, to see how it would effect things. The first part of the race in Brazil was exciting, and I think that was genuinely down to the lack of dry running, so no team knew where they realistically stood. So perhaps less practice would make things more interesting. It would work well, given that it would allow teams to run young drivers on Friday morning, with no upgrades. Or perhaps only two practice sessions, one for young drivers, the other for the usual drivers, either on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. (Perhaps teams even get a choice when they want to run? Though that would probably be detrimental to the fans).

Profile photo of looseasagoose
    looseasagoose
    Participant

1. Spending Restrictions. Instead of having a restriction on the amount of testing/wind tunnel/computing time, limit the amount that can be spent on it per season, and allow the teams to use it as they wish. Spending restrictions can also be applied to other areas, with the eventual goal of a budget cap for every team. Money shouldn’t be the differentiating factor between teams. With a budget cap, it removes the issue of having FOM handing out prizemoney at the end of season which clearly influences the success of a team. FOM handle the commercial side of the sport, and should have nothing to do with the sporting side of things

2. Aero. Limit the number of elements in a front wing, in order to reduce its sensitivity when following another car. Also, introduce some ground effect, which should allow two cars to follow closely to each other. In goes without saying, but ditch DRS

3. Tyres. The current Pirelli tyres are too much, but the Bridgestones weren’t enough. As a simple rule of thumb, the two compounds bought to a race should mean that the difference between 1 and 2 stops is almost neglible. Get rid of the top-10 rule. The idea with tyres is that they should encourage strategic variation

4. Third car. Teams may have the option of running a third car at a certain number of events per season (not every race). The third driver may be different every time if the team wishes. This allows teams to give rookies a shot, and may also allow some teams to take on pay drivers as their third driver, and so having a proper driver in their main car

5. Venues. The mantra of the sport should be, ‘Worlds best drivers, worlds best cars, worlds best racetracks’. With this view, the split should be about 70-30 between the tracks that serve the sport best, and tracks that serve to expand the sport. For example, the best tracks might include Silverstone, Spa, Interlagos, whereas the other type might be ones like China, India or the US. These obivously don’t have to be mutually exclusive. Without going into excessive detail with this, the venues should be chosen by negotiation between the FIA and the track owners/promoters. FOM can be the one that make a final commercial deal.

Extra special bonus 6. Give us some better internet coverage than the rubbish website that already exists. We should be able to follow F1 on facebook, watch past races on youtube etc. It’s the 21st century already

Profile photo of Tayyib
    Tayyib
    Participant

1. Get rid of DRS
    2. Qualifying tyres. Teams dont have to save tyres in FP1, FP2, AND FP3. Also if there is a fair difference between a softer tyre and a harder tyre it may allow for more variation in the race.
    3. Go back to normal Grand Prix racing tyre i.e Bridgestone 2010.
    4. Dont be so cautious in wet track conditions the session gets stopped and by the time it starts its fine for slick tyres. There is barely any full wet track running.
    5. Gravel instead of massive run offs.

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

Right, I’ve been quite vocal about things I want to see changed this year, so I guess I kinda have to leave my suggestions.

1) Less design restrictions: designers should be free to explore exciting new areas of aerodynamics and mechanics, so the regulations should allow this.

2) Budget caps: to even out the differences between large and small teams. I would even go as far as saying teams should not have more than 50 team members. So just as in the 1960s and 1970s, the car is a product of a small group of the finest minds.

3) Good tyres, that allow drivers to push the car to its limit for the entire race distance.

4) Ban team radio: drivers should be able to manage their car themselves, not be told what to do. In cases of emergency, the race director is able to talk to all drivers and vice versa, for instance to warn the drivers for debris on the track. As an addition, I would limit the data sent to pit wall to just the car’s location and velocity.

5) The fee that circuits pay, broadcasting rights, ticket prices and prize money should all go down. I’m not sure if this will create a stable situation (I’m not a finance person), but I’m sure things like that can be much cheaper than they currently are.

Profile photo of BasCB
    BasCB
    Participant

Nice idea for a topic to discuss. For me we need a few things that can be easily done:

1. Tyres -
    Instead of having an external supplier choose what tyres they bring to the race, let the teams pick them (for the first 2-3 races based on testing, making sure the supplier has a bit of time to react) max. 2 types for the weekend. I don’t mind if everyone has to start on the tyres they race on (not needed though), but there should not be an extra advantage to starting in the top 10.
    Apart from that, if we drop the requirement to use both during the race, that could open up a team choosing supersofts for qualifying and then going medium/hard for their race. More variety, and strategic choices.
    Keep the tyres so that only the hardest compound will be able to make it without a stop.
    2. DRS – has to go, I can tolerate it if its limited by usage/race and not bound by who is in front.
    3. Budgets – instead of having Bernie divide and rule with big handouts to Ferrari and the flavor of the day team + some that are big enough to fight, have it divided up more evenly. After being in the sport and actually competing for a time, a team should get their travel cost + some 30-60 million from the sport. Possibly tied in with an obligation to run talented drivers (let a Red Bull or Ferrari pay to not have to) during Friday mornings, do promotional events in new additions to the calendar etc. Then have a part based on results, and maybe on previous results in the last decade as well (that last part should not be more than 40-50 million at most, and be given to teams like Sauber etc. as well, not just for the winners of the last championships). And part of what now ends up in far too deep pockets of financials has to go to tracks, so that they can make a good show of it for the fans. I think a budget cap (maybe comined with a minimum inlay/spending limit for owners too though) would help make sure its not a spending contest.
    3. Limit the people in the pits for pitstops, slowing them down by doing only one axle, or one side at a time (and making it a bit safer)
    4. Technical – with the budget cap (see above) I would like to see a team have more choice on whether they want to develop things like an engine, or do more simulator work, windtunnel work or go all crazy on exotic materials. The Budget cap should ensure that a team cannot afford to focus on all of them at once, and it will reward those that spend cleverly.
    5. Testing. I would not add much testing to the calendar. I do think it would be nice to have a way for the tyre supplier to test, using cars from teams that are in the last 2-3 places in the standings for a couple of weeks (they would pay for the testing). Why no extra testing? because we would focus on the fridays even more for testing new bits, using either young drivers, or if a team prefers (and accepts getting losing some FOM money) their regular driver or test driver.
    6. 3rd drivers – I think it would be good to make it mandatory that test drivers get at least a day or 2 of pre-season testing as well as 2-4 FP1 showings. Reasoning – something between safety and contingency (a team must make sure that their reserve can actually handle the car).

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Andae23 I don’t know about the team radio – I love it :-) Less censoring of radio chatter would be great – I would love to hear the drivers cursing at each other!

@looseasagoose what a fantastic idea about making F1 content from previous seasons available on the F1 website or through some other means like youtube or other content providers. I would love to go back and watch some older seasons. They could even make it profitable by adding commercials every 20 minutes or so like any other content provider. The FIA has the responsibility of preserving this sport for posterity!

Also, I know it’s new and not everyone has a 3d TV yet but I would love to be able to view a little bit of F1 Formula in 3D!

Profile photo of Jonny Edwards
    Jonny Edwards
    Participant

Ban DRS – This is really hurting F1 in a big way. It’s not real racing and for the pinnacle of motorsport it’s unacceptable. This will be the main reason i switch off if it does not disappear within a few years.

One type of tyre – I don’t care how long it lasts but i’m sick to death of teams having to run two types of tyre during the race. It really restricts those who want to attempt a one stop strategy and it adds nothing. It only exists today because it’s the only strategy available to teams. It’s dull and uninteresting and brings me to my next point.

Bring back refueling – Let the teams have the freedom to adopt whatever strategy they want and F1 will be interesting again. The main problem with 2013 was the lack of strategic options. It became even more obvious with one guy pretty much winning all the races. Changing tyres one lap earlier might help you jump the guy in front of you but a great strategy based around refueling can get you 2-3 places by the end of the race.

New qualifying format (or old if you’ve been watching long enough) – One hour sesssion, 12 laps. Honestly, nothing peeves me off more than having to sit through two meaningless qualifying sessions only to be rewarded by missing the majority of laps in Q3 because everyone is doing their laps at the same time. It’s so unsatisfying to have to wait until AFTER qualifying to see the pole lap.

I don’t anything else to add so i’ll end here. No wait – The pitlane girls could take a leaf out of Motogp, if you know what i mean :p

Profile photo of Jonny Edwards
    Jonny Edwards
    Participant

@Tayyib. Good point about gravel traps. Bring back the fear of the gravel trap. There’s nothing these days to stop a driver going flat-out with no risk. It’s only human nature to minimise risk when you are leading so the fear of breaching a gravel trap WILL slow the leader down allowing the driver behind to weigh up his options and go for all or nothing. There needs to be more reward for bravery.

Profile photo of glynh
    glynh
    Participant

Apart from the odd thing I’m happy with F1 how it is but there are a few things I would change for more ‘on the edge’ racing;
    1. Replace run off with gravel traps. I would like to see barriers closer but on dangerous corners gravel is the safer option.
    2. One use of DRS per lap anywhere regardless of position, could result in some unusual overtakes.
    3. More drivers, preferably by having more teams.
    4. Re-fuelling. A reason to pit other than tyres and faster racing.
    5. Less penalties for racing incidents – solid rules are needed but drivers shouldn’t be scared to overtake.

Profile photo of glynh
    glynh
    Participant

I can’t seem to edit but I’m actually not sure about refuelling after thinking about it. The pit stops are good now and teams would probably still try to save fuel anyway….

Profile photo of Max Jacobson
    Max Jacobson
    Participant

1) Ban Front Wings
    They are very efficient at producing downforce in undisturbed air, but increase the turbulence and the efficiency markedly decreases. Also, only allow single-plane rear wings as I believe is the case in 2014 for the same reason.

To compensate, re-introduce ground effects and I would personally allow EBD’s, but not off-throttle blown ones as that removes an element of driver skill in the braking phase.

2) More Powerful Engines
    I understand the need for efficiency and it’s stupid frankly not to strive to be as efficient as possible, so a 100kg fuel allowance is a good idea. However, I think the designers (within a 1.6l, single-turbo’d constraint) should have free reign on how they want to design their engines but with a restriction on material use for cost reasons (a certain £/m³ restriction). This somewhat leads on to the next point.

3) More Energy Recovery
    This is a point F1 is still missing out on. Give the engine manufacturers almost free reign within a specific budget on the use of kinetic and heat energy recovery for a direct boost via electric motors in the front and rear wheels (hence allowing a sort of four wheel drive system). This should attract manufacturers back to the sport, but with that if course would have to come certain restrictions…

4) Budget Restrictions
    £75m a year would do nicely, ignoring engine costs (to prevent the manufacturers gaining an unfair advantage). How this is to be policed I’m unsure of, but F1 cannot allow itself to get engrossed in another spending war. Besides, the most interesting innovations in the past have come from small outfits with big ideas, which my proposals should allow for.

5) Decreased Minimum Weight
    It doesn’t need to be this high at the moment I feel. The crash tests should be the deciding factor in how safe a car is, not the minimum weight. Also, with the budgetary restrictions would come a dilemma: spend money on exotic materials to keep it under the weight limit or sacrifice being over it (which I see no harm in) but having made the performance gains. Also, it’d provide a natural restriction on how much in the way of energy recovery systems could be theoretically employed.

To prevent handicaps to heavy drivers been increased even further however, the car and the driver’s seat (with driver in seat) would be subject to different limits, say the car 500kg and the seat + driver 80kg.

There are others that I would add, but I’ve used my 5 points! These would involve tyres (which I think should be hardened to make one stop the default, natural strategy), DRS (GET IT AWAY!), testing and computational resources.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.