F1

British GP 2015…better than shown?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GreenSpyder
    Participant

1. I was disappointed in the coverage provided. Hamilton is the hometown favorite, but there were about 16 other drivers that got little if any air time. Since he was again in the front, that’s all we were allowed to watch.

2. I don’t think Hamilton is the best driver in the series (based on his obvious mistakes). I think he is the best “Mercedes powered driver”. Mercedes has been “overly dominant” since the new formula change came out, as evidenced by the improved standings of even the tertiary teams using Mercedes power (Force India, Lotus, Williams) who couldn’t compete using the last formula iteration. I’m looking forward to the next formula change, and hope it’s more equitable across the field.

David-A
    Participant

Hamilton got a lot of coverage partially because there was a battle for the lead between him, Rosberg, Bottas and Massa. We had the surprise of Williams leading, so it’s natural the cameras would focus on the quartet. The lead battle was the main point of interest for much of the race, including when Rosberg caught back up to Hamilton before the 2nd stops.

The coverage though, could have been better, as there should have been more & better angles of the start crash, not to mention the cameras missing Raikonen’s spin altogether. It’s not even the first time we’ve not had proper footage- the camera angle of the start crash in Austria was poor, and we didn’t get footage from Alonso’s car. In Monaco, we never even saw the point where Sainz almost wiped out a Sauber at the chicane.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I also don’t remember seeing Kvyat have a spin either, although it’s been mentioned. GP2 and GP3 usually have 2 or 3 wide action in the mid-rear of the first lap yet you’d be lucky to catch what’s going on there too, while many a pass is missed in F1 if it’s not in the leading cars.

Nick
    Participant

F1 has come a long way from the Schumacher days, where TV directors felt the need to only show what was going on in the front (usually Schumacher’s Ferrari) which was boring to me, even though I’m a massive Schumacher fan. I remember races like Canada 2000, where Jos Verstappen was slicing through the field in the rain, but the director only ‘flashed’ us his overtakes, then went straight back to any Ferrari or McLaren.

That being said, the TV director still makes odd calls on who to follow and what to replay (endless replays of the start manage to cool my enthusiasm almost entirely when there are lap 1 battles going on), so I definitely agree the air time of anyone who isn’t in the top 3 teams is usually a little sub-par.

Strontium
    Participant

I know I caused a lot of controversy with regard to the rating I gave the race, and I am wondering if this is part of the reason. There was a lot going on further back and we saw nothing. At the front there was hardly anything happening.

John H
    Participant

I remember watching quite a tense battle for the lead in the opening 20 laps. In the context of this season, with a non-merc leading and P2 of course it was right to focus on the leaders.

Whilst the coverage wasn’t that great (Kimi’s spin, etc…), of course they should focus on the leading group of they are close.

Its not about overtakes, its about watching a live feed when one slips up or there is some drama. Its about what could happen, not what does.

Jason Norin
    Participant

I agree that there are other great drivers other than Hamilton but for this season, him and Rosberg are being dominant. The recently concluded BGP is an exciting race and kudos to all drivers that made it possible. As far as the coverage is concerned, yeah the director should have made some calls to also highlight other happenings in the BGP other than the ones on the lead. Here’s to some updates – http://www.dafabetsports.com/en/formula1

PorscheF1
    Participant

Am I the only one that realizes what a difficult task this is, to catch every overtake or interesting bit live? They are always going to miss on certain items and when cameras have to follow a driver an return to the exit of the previous corner that hardly makes good material.

David-A
    Participant

@xtwl

Am I the only one that realizes what a difficult task this is, to catch every overtake or interesting bit live?

No you are not. But replays of the incidents missed should be shown during the coverage.

PorscheF1
    Participant

So everyone can complain about a replay and missing another live overtake?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.