• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 22 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Bruno Senna finally arriving in F1 greatness

This topic contains 52 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Pamphlet Pamphlet 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@damonsmedley – It’s easier to judge Senna than it is to judge Pic, because Pic has only had two races. Senna has had eighteen months. I’m simply not impressed by him, and I think people are getting carried away by a) his surname, and b) Ayrton Senna’s comments about how good he was. We’ve seen plenty of sons or relatives of famous drivers appear in the sport before, but only Hill and Villeneuve really lived up to expectations. As far as I’m concerned, Senna hasn’t done anything to justify the hype.

matt90
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys
    I agree that he hasn’t had any real standouts other than the last race, but this is a little unfair.

He hasn’t done anything to make us sit bolt upright and pay attention, like when Alonso drove 53 qualifying laps at Suzuka in a Minardi, or when Raikkonen won a race from 17th on the grid.

Raikkonen was already an established star by that point in his 4th full consecutive year. You may as well mention Alonso’s last win.

People are acting as if Senna is a World Champion in the making, but he hasn’t actually done anything becoming of a World Champion.

Who is? The OP is a bit fanatical, but otherwise most people in support seem to be fairly moderate. I’m a fan and I certainly don’t claim he’ll be great. To be honest I doubt he’ll ever find himself in a position to win a race, but I think he may have the potential to achieve that if he has a good year (I mean by having a good year this year so as to set himself up for betters results/drives in the future, I don’t mean I think he would win a race this year), or at least have several respectable years running in the sport in the midfield (Heidfeld-like).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@damonsmedley – It’s easier to judge Senna than Pic since Senna has been in the sport for longer.

damonsmedley
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys

Senna has had eighteen months.

A very exceptional and atypical 18 months though. Expecting someone to just pick up F1 and start performing after being shuffled around, dropped, picked up and then not used, having almost 12 months without driving an F1 car and then put into a fairly decent car and all the rest of what he’s dealt with is a bit over-the-top.

I think people are getting carried away by a) his surname

Undoubtedly, yes, there is a lot of that. But I know many of the people here choose to see Bruno as his own person. As far as I see it, he gets equally as much criticism for having that surname.

and b) Ayrton Senna’s comments about how good he was.

I think that was Ayrton being nice to his nephew and nothing more.

But above all, I don’t think I could ever dislike someone based on driving ability alone. When you get to this level, the differences in ability are so minimal that it comes down to differences in style in my opinion. So for the time being, I’ll keep my mind open to Bruno because a) he’s one of the nicest and most genuine characters on the grid (something his uncle never was) and b) I firmly believe his time in F1 has been too chaotic and atypical to accurately judge him.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m not saying I don’t like Senna. I just think he’s massively over-rated because of his name. If it were any other driver, they probably wouldn’t have gotten a second chance after 2010, much less a third chance after 2011.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Would teams be willing to take on a driver they didn’t feel could get them good results? I’d rather see Barrichello in his seat, but Senna brings money and a fair amount of pace to Williams. They’re two things the team needs if they want to get back to where they were.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@damonsmedley – If a driver – like Senna – can bring a lot of money to the team, then the team might be willing to take him over another driver with better results but less (or no) money.

Force Maikel
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys I agree that the senna surename helped him alot in becomming an f1 driver and it probably continue to help him. After reading all the posts it seems its a bit devided some are pro others are contra. And i wouldn’t want it any other way.

I guess were just have to wait and see what resuslts he can drive in the upcomming races

Enigma
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Maybe people do. But you can’t forget he spent many years not racing whilst others were karting. Can you honestly tell me you’ve seen anything from him that suggests he’s world championship material or that he’s rubbish? Maybe he’s got more chances than others because he’s a Senna, but it’s not like he doesn’t deserve them. We’re yet to see if he’s good or not.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Can you honestly tell me you’ve seen anything from him that suggests he’s world championship material or that he’s rubbish?

Yes – most of what he achieved in Australia. And it probably would have been the same in Malaysia were it not for the race stoppage.

Enigma
    Participant

Based on one scruffy weekend? And in Malaysia he was hit by Maldonado (from what I gather anyway). I’m pretty sure every driver on the grid, even the best ones, have had bad weekends. It’s almost like saying Button is rubbish after Sepang, or Korea 2010.

Slr
    Participant

Maybe he’s got more chances than others because he’s a Senna, but it’s not like he doesn’t deserve them.

I disagree, Senna doesn’t deserve a third chance. I realise he’s had a tough start to F1, but you still have to make the best of those chances, which Senna hasn’t done.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Based on one scruffy weekend?

No, several scruffy weekends. Did you not notice Spa and Brazil last year, where he out-qualified his team-mate and then threw away a good result with a stupid mistake in each race?

The opening post makes out that Senna is some unrealised talent that is inally coming good. And being a Jenson Button fan, I acknowledge that sometimes it can take a driver to fully make good on his promise. But I jsut don’t see it in Senna, and I certainly wouldn’t classify him as a future champion.

Enigma
    Participant

He was thrown in mid-season, with little or no experience of KERS, DRS and Pirellis. And he did out-qualify Petrov on those occasions, which is already a good achievement – Petrov did a very good job in qualy last year.

I disagree with the opening post (has it been changed?) – Senna hasn’t shown much yet. But it’s too early to write him off. As you say, Button is a good example – it takes time sometimes.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Good qualifying results count for nothing if you throw it away in the race.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.