F1

Button vs. Rosberg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

Who do you guys think will go down as the greater driver? Assuming both stay retired.

Giggsy11
    Participant

I’m not sure if its because I’m British but I think Button just edges this. Button was hands down the best driver in mixed conditions/ slicks on a damp track but Rosberg wasn’t a standout driver in any particular category, he was just very very consistent. Both deserving champions and I’m delighted for both of them to bow out when they wanted to.

PorscheF1
    Participant

To some extent I agree what you wrote above although I think Rosberg was a far better driver than Jenson. Had Red Bull been a tad more decent in 2009 Vettel would’ve won the title and Jenson would have never gotten a shot at the McLaren car either, very likely his career would’ve died from that point onwards.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Just a stat check

Button/Rosberg

Titles 1 – 1
    Wins 15 – 23
    Entries 308 – 206
    Podiums 50 – 57
    Poles 8 – 30
    Flap 8 – 20
    Teams 7 – 2

Diceman
    Participant

Jenson won his championship in a dominant car with 37-year old Barrichello as a team-mate. Nico won his in a dominant car with Lewis Hamilton as a team-mate. So yeah, I do rate Rosberg higher.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Everything being equal, I would say Rosberg is definitely the stronger driver over a single lap but over a race distance it could be quite close between them.

Richard
    Participant

Its hard to call here. Anyone whos read my posts on this site before will know im a massive button fan, but taking out of account who i support they are both top drawer drivers, and are immediately comparable against lewis. Both held up well against hamilton, but were usually very slightly behind him but both capable of beating him. Overall id go with button but thats mainly because nico doesnt have an outstanding race in his portfolio whereas button has the magic from montreal in 11

Hard to call. Button got many good cars so the chances of him doing a Canada 2011 (or even Hungary 2006) was greater than Rosberg’s.

But when Rosberg did get a dominant car (which he did 3 times), even the BGP001 pales in comparison (over a season, anyway). That plus the 1 or 2 seasons of rather OK cars in the last years of the V8 era.

Button might have won the championship with Barichello instead of Hamilton as his teammate but I don’t think the 2 drivers differ too much in how they fared against Hamilton when they did have him as teammate.

I say Button, I guess.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@diceman and don’t forget said 37-year old teammate was severely hurt in his title chances by technical problems and incompetence by the team. Barrichello was the better driver in 2009 to the point that to anyone actually remembering that year will find the discussion about the validity of Rosberg’s title this season hilariously inane, given as nobody nowadays even cares about Button fluking his way into a championship.

So yeah, Nico Rosberg is the answer to the question posted by OP and it is not even close.

Ben Needham
    Participant

Actually a very interesting comparison. On paper, Rosberg achieved more, but then he did have a dominant car for three years rather than 8 races!

As others have mentioned, the only real reference point for comparison is their time against Lewis Hamilton. Button pushed him close for three years, while Rosberg did the same for four.

2010 was pretty close between the two, but Hamilton was definitely better. Button was clearly on better form in 2011, but the two point gap in 2012 flatters Button, who should have been further behind, were it not for Lewis retiring from the lead a few times.

Rosberg was Hamilton’s equal in 2013, scoring 2 wins to Hamilton’s 1 and often beating him in the races. In 2014 and 2015, a normal race (ie: where Hamilton was on form and the car was reliable… (granted, there are exceptions)) saw Hamilton leading a 1-2. 2016 was much the same, but Rosberg was a much more formidable opponent.

After that analysis, I’d still say they’re pretty close.

An at-his-peak Button beats Rosberg for me; but not by much.

PorscheF1
    Participant

I think one other reason to say Rosberg is obviously the better of the two is Button his terrible qualifying record. One pole in his entire McLaren career I believe,…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.