F1

Can Hamilton beat Vettel on Top Gear?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    mclaren
    Participant

Lewis Hamilton is set to make his 3rd appearance on TG this sunday, his aim will be to beat the current lap record of 1:44:0 held by a certain 3 times f1 champion Sebastian Vettel (it sounds intimidating when you put it like that),
    Hamilton’s current lap is a 1.44.7, which was done in wet+oily conditions, the TG director already confirmed (TG filming is done on Wednesdays prior to the Sunday) the track was dry; i’ve also heard whispers that he done a 1:43:45, We’ll have to wait i guess!!

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@mclaren

Its only Hamilton’s 2nd time at TG. And, yes, I do think he can beat Vettel.

mclaren
    Participant

It is Hamilton’s 3rd appearance, his first was back in 07 when he set his lap time, he second was in 2010 when he drove Ayrton Senna’s Mclaren but on that occassion he didn’t set a lap time due to adverse weather conditions, making this sunday his 3rd!

mclaren
    Participant

A mate of mine who was at the recording has told me Hamilton beats Vettel by 2 seconds, mmmm

Kingshark
    Participant
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

So we are looking at a 1:42 something

Kingshark
    Participant

The thought of a 1:42.9 sounded quite absurd at first, but I’ve heard too many gossips about it for this rumour not to have some substance to it.

If so, then that’s a frigging mental lap by Lewis.

mclaren
    Participant

All the rumours i’m hearing also suggest a 1:42:XX

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

I want Rubens to come back for a lap :-)

It was nice, as Jeremy put it, for him to finally win something :-D

Todfod
    Participant

I would be surprised if Lewis didn’t beat Sebs time. Has Alonso taken a crack at this circuit?

AdrianMorse
    Participant

I have faith in Hamilton’s abilities, of course, but 1.1 seconds quicker? What did they do to that Liana, put a new set of Super Softs underneath it? No, what am I saying, Jeremy Clarkson is a beacon of integrity.

Michael
    Participant

Amazing time – Red Bull NEEDS Hamilton to test their car so they know how far off pace Vettel is and help Newey build a car that’s super stable at lower speeds…

Participant

@freelittlebirds So a lap in a roadcar on an airfield is an indication of their talent relative to each other? You don’t win three consecutive titles without a lot of skill.

Michael
    Participant

@Nicholas Sunderland – Well, any lap time is a benchmark but it has to be taken in context. Things may have changed to make the car or track faster. I read Car and Driver a lot and I am always surprised that a car’s performance in long term test which is 40,000 miles can drop or go up by 0.5 seconds to 60 mph.

And yes, you are correct you don’t win any titles without possessing any skill – especially in F1 where your teammate would win them instead:-) Then again, even when comparing Vettel and Webber you must take other factors into consideration. It’s not as cut and dry as Vettel is much better than Webber because he has won 3 WDCs and Webber none. You look at the seasons and you see that Webber is 10 years older and within a heartbeat of Vettel’s performance especially when the car is made to suit him. And 2 of the 3 championships were decided with the dice rolling in Vettel’s favor so he could have been a 1 time champion very easily just as Hamilton could have been a 0 time champion had things not worked out in his benefit in 2008.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Without a shadow of a doubt…. Lewis will beat that time…. If the track was dry, it´s a done deal..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.