• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 day, 10 hours ago

F1 discussion

Can Hamilton beat Vettel on Top Gear?

This topic contains 101 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@todfod

No he hasn´t.

@brazil2007

So a lap in a roadcar on an airfield is an indication of their talent relative to each other

Yes it is…. same type of car, same track, same tyres… Why so surprised?? The Liana didn´t have EBD!!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@catracho504
    Track conditions could be very different though. And I’d be interested to find out for certain that ever driver gets the same tyres.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@matt90
    LOL!!! Hmmm it seems you don´t like the outcome of the TG lap??? I hate to break it to you man, but I think Clarkson would not lend himself to benefit somebody… And how could the track been different?? They both had dry track… Or are you implying that Lewis´ track was dryer?? Or are you doubting that Lewis had the same tyres?? Hmmmm all of a sudden you are full of excuses trying to justify why SV got his tush handed to him… Like I said before, why so surprised?? The Liana doesn´t have EBD and doesn´t use Pirellis!!

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

I still can’t get over how LH managed to do a 1:42 something. I always believed that a 1:44.0 was the general limit of the reasonably priced car, and it would be unlikely for someone to pull out a quicker lap than that in this wagon. However a 1:42 is just insane.

On the other, he was only a few tenths slower than Vettel’s time in the rain.

Liana needs to join F1 and make a team ASAP! :P

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@kingshark

I always believed that a 1:44.0 was the general limit of the reasonably priced car

Why is that??? Because the triple world champ set the lap time??
    Well you know… Martin Brundle said it on Top Gear in the Senna documentary done by TG that good drivers can find 3 or 4 tenths…. the great ones can go out there and find 1 or 1.5 seconds… now we now where each stands… in a reasonable priced car… XD

Profile photo of jo
    jo

All French Formula 1 fans will be deprived of f1, so click quickly! help us!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pour-une-F1-non-crypt%C3%A9-et-gratuite/215348855276346

Thanks!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@catracho504 There is no need to have that attitude. Just because I have something sensible to say on the matter is no reason to go off on one. Any F1 fan knows that just because a track is dry does not make the conditions exactly the same, which is the point I was trying to make.

Profile photo of Bruno
    Bruno
    Participant

if he beats Vettel by more than a second, then the car has clearly been changed. Maybe just a new set of tires, which would dramatically improve the lap time.
    Think about, how many laps has the Liana done already? Maybe it was due for a tyre change. Road tires do not last very long on tracks. (The shoulders get worn out very quickly)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@matt90
    Ok…. and what about the tyres?? you doubt they´re the same?? It just seems that finally one of the top drivers set things straight… Now all TG needs is to have Alonso grace them with his appearence in their show… He might not beat Hamilton´s lap… but I know he would beat the “triple WDC´s” lap… And with all due respect… I will not apologize for my reaction… you sir have attacked me on several ocassions so it´s nice to finally speak my mind and not have my comments moderated… at least in the forum…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would think that Top Gear would give Vettel and Ham sets of new tires.
    I also remember Vettel asking if he could change the tire pressure on his run. I think the Top Gear test is absolutely a valid and perfect form of comparison for the two. Identical car, same track, same conditions. What more could you ask for??? Cant wait for this weekend to watch it!

Profile photo of DavidS
    DavidS
    Participant

Top Gear needs to get all the F1 drivers who have appeared in the past to come back and do it in the Kia.
    I’m sure every single one will come back.

Profile photo of Max Jacobson
    Max Jacobson
    Participant

I wouldn’t read too much into it if Hamilton beats Vettel’s time: the reasonably priced car is about as close to an F1 car as a musket is to a 50 cal. sniper rifle. Just because one may be better in the reasonably priced car doesn’t mean they’ll automatically be better in an F1 car. Many F1 drivers have before proven to be better at endurance racing than F1 for example, and the step between that pales into insignificance with what is an old, slow, cheap road car to the fastest track cars on the planet.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see purely from an entertainment perspective. I think Hamilton will definitely be quick, but Vettel’s lap was almost pitch-perfect. I reckon it will be a close match!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@catracho504 I can’t remember attacking you quite so aggressively though. I didn’t say that I doubt the tyres are the same, just that I’d be curious to know for certain, because let’s be honest a lot of features on Top Gear are more about entertainment value than accuracy. Of course, the funny thing about your reaction is the assumption that just because I had something fairly harmless but valid to say, that I must be a Vettel fan…

Profile photo of Max Jacobson
    Max Jacobson
    Participant

@catracho504 I am very much uncertain as to what Hamilton’s laptime will be and if he will beat Vettel. Why are you so certain? I believe the general consensus amongst the F1 community is that Hamilton and Vettel are the quickest on outright one-lap pace on the current F1 grid, so what is there to suggest that Hamilton will thrash Vettel?

I do believe anyone who seriously considers a lap around Dunsfold in an old, beat-up >£15000 car representative of that driver’s pace relative to the opposition in a multi-million pound, state-of-the-art race car around a variety of challenging circuits needs a reality check. It does of course make for entertaining viewing however, so I am looking forward to seeing how Hamilton fares against the champion!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

@brunes I reckon the tyres are always fresh. This is because I remember when they retired the Liana they said how many sets of tyres it had gotten through (as well as clutch, brakes etc.) , and it was a lot. However, that’s another point- the clutch and brakes weren’t necessarily always new, although now that they use the car so infrequently they might just give it a proper service before every outing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.