• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 20 hours, 5 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Can Hamilton beat Vettel on Top Gear?

This topic contains 101 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

Great lap, good fun show!.
    Interestingly when you add the series the fastest times were set it’s apparent that times generally (Raikkonen’s Wet lap aside) have improved. Starting at series 6 to series 18.
    Which shows just how competitive F1 drivers are.

19) Lewis Hamilton – 1’42.9
    17) Sebastian Vettel – 1’44.0
    15) Rubens Barrichello – 1’44.3
    8) Jenson Button – 1’44.7
    18) Kimi Raikkonen – 1’46.1 (Wet)
    6) Mark Webber – 1’47.1 (Wet)

Profile photo of infy
    infy
    Participant

These times mean less than testing.

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

Meaningless, yes… but still interesting and entertaining.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

@vettel1 That would be great! They could invite the 5 WC when they come for the British GP, that would be really nice xD

Profile photo of SoLiDG
    SoLiDG
    Participant

Getting Alonso in that car would be brilliant indeed! :)

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

Given that Alonso always brings his 6 tenths to the car as usual. Now I wouldn’t be surprised to see him doing a 1:42.3 in that Liana Suzuki. :P

Profile photo of Nicholas Sunderland
    Nicholas Sunderland
    Participant

@SoLiDG On the subject of Hamilton and Button…

Button scored two more points than Hamilton in three years. He came very close to him last year, and not that far off in 2010. He was also much more impressive than him in 2011. I have no doubt that Hamilton is a better driver, but saying that he’s much faster isn’t right.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

@brazil2007 I agree with you, I think that Lewis is faster than Button but not with too much diference, maybe a couple of tenths depending on the circuit.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Sheila Even so, those 2/10ths translate into 10 seconds on the track over 50 laps.

One of the most interesting stats, I’ve ever heard in any sport was in tennis where one of the commentators asked another commentator what percentage of points did he believe Federer won at the height of his career against other players?

If I recall correctly Federer won 56 percent of the points he played and that included the matches against lower seeds where he dominated. When talking about top seeds, he might win 1-2% more but more importantly he’d win the important points. That 1-2% advantage translated into 16 grand slams…

Profile photo of Nicholas Sunderland
    Nicholas Sunderland
    Participant

@freelittlebirds If Hamilton was that much faster, the results would show it. Hamilton may have loads more poles, but you don’t win races on Saturday. The real difference between the two hasn’t been big. At times Button has been faster (much faster, from time to time). If you think back to 2011, Button was much, much better.

I know I’m not going to convince you of anything, but I do hope that you try to look at this more objectively.

Profile photo of Gagnon
    Gagnon
    Participant

Personally I dont like Hamilton, but I have to say that Hamilton was very unlucky in 2012. First time I really think luck is against a driver.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Nicholas Sunderland

If Hamilton was that much faster, the results would show it. Hamilton may have loads more poles, but you don’t win races on Saturday. The real difference between the two hasn’t been big. At times Button has been faster (much faster, from time to time). If you think back to 2011, Button was much, much better.

I know I’m not going to convince you of anything, but I do hope that you try to look at this more objectively.

In that statement, you’ve made the following points:

1. Hamilton may have loads more poles, but you don’t win races on Saturday.
    Essentially you’re tossing away Hamilton’s pole advantage to Button.

2. If Hamilton was that much faster, the results would show it.
    I’m sure you are talking about the fact that Button outscored Hamilton over the 3 years – good for Button. If Hamilton is going to Mercedes because of that situation, shouldn’t Button be heading to Force India – they do still have a spot available:-)

3. At times Button has been faster (much faster, from time to time).
    You do realize that this means that all the other times Button was slower, right?

4. If you think back to 2011, Button was much, much better.
    You do realize that this means that Hamilton was better – and to use your words much, much better – in 2012, 2010, most likely 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005?

5. I know I’m not going to convince you of anything, but I do hope that you try to look at this more objectively.
    You do realize that this makes very little sense, right?

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

Jenson Button from 2004-2006 was at his best IMO. I’m amazed that people still consider 2011 to be Button’s best season. I disagree; some of Jenson’s drives from the 2004-2006 period simply both fantastic and underrated. Germany ’04, Turkey ’05, Hungary ’06 and Brazil ’06 just to name a few.

2009 he finally had a car to show his worth, and he grabbed the opportunity with both hands and made the most of it. In 2011 he was somewhat flattered by an underrated fast Mclaren, and Hamilton having a dreadful season.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Have removed some posts which contained far too much antagonism and trolling. Some people need to take the contest in the spirit it is intended: as a bit of fun.

Profile photo of Bendanarama
    Bendanarama
    Participant

I can do a better time than that on Forza.

Presumably that means I’m a better driver than Hamilton? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.